Laminate Flooring

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Jesse Ramos, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Jesse Ramos

Jesse Ramos New Member

Has anyone laid down laminate flooring over the existing flooring? or used any other product to remodel their flooring over pre-existing flooring? Pros and Cons please. tips, tricks, etc.

2. Ken Lane

Ken Lane Active Member

I put P***o over my dinning room floor underlayment over 15 years ago in my house in SC. It turned out ok, but it ruined me to ever using that again. It was plastic for crying out loud. It looked somewhat like real wood but this snap together stuff is not waterproof and its a floating floor so to speak over a foam mat. It is not supposed to be fixed to the floor but expand and contract naturally with the initial gaps hidden under the baseboards. I just recently, within the last couple of years used an engineered hardwood product that is actually wood veneer over a wood composite in my living room. It looks a lot more natural, allows easy scratch repair, and doesn't have the plastic look-shine that the P***o I used had. Of course today the product market has really expanded since those initial products were put on the market. I would suggest using a compound miter saw for accurate cuts. It is much easier to install than 3/4 hardwood strip/plank.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

I think laminate flooring could work, however a couple things to consider. 1) will you still be able to open your cabinets if it is in place.
    2) I problem I discovered installing it in my kitchen is the seams swell up if it gets wet. Not sure if this is still a problem with today's technology.

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Try a vinyl laminate. No swelling, it moves like a floating floor but is completely waterproof as its all vinyl.

chemille30 likes this.
  5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Keep in mind the extra weight you'll be adding to the trailer and subtract the same amount of weight from gear you carry..

Artist60164 likes this.
  6. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

I used laminate, but the additional thickness did affect the cabinet doors when I had my pup and I had to skim the bottom of the doors on my table saw. I would go with vinyl plank flooring, thinner, durable and waterproof and will take the abuse. You could cut it with a knife but I used my sliding mitre saw to cut it quicker not to mention easier on my hands.

DigitalGuru likes this.
  7. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

My truck camper came with laminate flooring instead of proper vinyl. There are different types of laminate of course but this stuff scratches easier than vinyl or at least feels like it. I get the ol' fingernails-on-a-chalkboard feeling whenever a grain of sand is stuck to a shoe...

(It's actually durable, doesn't show scratches, and is easy to keep clean. It just FEELS wrong.)

8. Sjm9911

This is the vinal plank flooring before i finished it. Its not perfect but was leftover from another project. Looks way better then what i had.

Attached Files:

9. Overland

Overland Well-Known Member

I installed the adhesive vinyl planking from the local Home supply store, prepped the new flooring with TEC primer. Chose one of the cheaper offerings.

To be honest it was very easy to install, as it was a very warm day iirc. That being said, when the weather turned cool this past winter I had noticed it shrunk up and left small gaps between the lengths.. i'd suggest installation in a slightly cooler temp as in my mind any movement would be near unnoticeable.

20190424_155039.jpg

Jean-Paul and Sjm9911 like this.
  10. Sjm9911

Mine was thw snap together vinyl, it was a bit more involved to put down, but it should only move side to side. I left expantion gaps and went over most of the ends with quarter round. I didnt do an A plus job, tbh i didnt care that much. Where i couldn't get the quarter round in i just painted the floor so you didnt notice the spaces.

11. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Po put laminate in mine. It’s swelled up everywhere from spills. Wet feet. Wet food from fridge.

Minimalist likes this.
  12. chemille30

chemille30 New Member

PVC laminate flooring is great.

13. Artist60164

Artist60164 Active Member

Every time I add something I subtract something. Not easy to do.

14. Artist60164

I hate the old floor it is a mustard yellow pattern and always looks dirty. I am going to try a brush and a soapy BLEACH water solution. Also I would love 1/4 round. I notice there isn't any. But like someone said I have to make sure all cabinets open. I have one drawer that is off the track, and I can not pull it out to fix. ANY IDEAS? is 1/4 round a good idea?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  15. Artist60164

12.jpg

16. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I picked up a bunch of BLUE and GREEN Carpet squares from work when they replaced the old carpet. This still had sticky backs so was very easy to cut to fit and put down.

I added the two bed ends with the green color carpet squares and then put down the Blue carper squares on the floor area...

The Pro is it sure is nice to get out of of bed and have the nice carpet under your feet on cool mornings...

The Bad thing turned out to be the amount of stuff you track in coming in from the outside. Never noticed it so much with hard floors... I installed one of the HD Patio Grated Steps just out side the door where you can stomp real big before coming inside... We also have a small throw rug just inside the door area...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

Another issue I thought we might run into was the Furnace floor vent was very close to the floor and was thinking it my get pretty hot here so I went ahead and inside a small metal strip here... Turned out not to have a heat problem but I feel a lot better having the metal strip in front of the propane furnace anyway...

Having the carpet squares on the pull-out tent ends was a hugh success thing. Really help regulates the heat and cool better... I did have to cut around a couple of metal things but that was no problem...

While I was working on the tent bed ends I noticed the OEM RUBBER SEAL was not doing what it was designed to do and I had hugh air gaps on both tent bed ends when the beds were pulled out against the trailer end walls. I could look down from the bed height and see daylight big time. Was noticing night bugs were getting into the popup and thi is where they was coming in. Also mosquitoes...

I got a garage door rubber seal from LOWES and turned it up side down and sealed it to the top of the metal ends of the trailer. Had to cut a couple of placed for the the metal slide arms but this really sealed up the large open area big time... It sort of looks like this rubber seal piece I got a photo of off-line...
    [​IMG]
    google image

We also use these LOWES Window seals for window unit air conditioners to install around the tent bed ends fabric to seal good between the fabric and the floor area.. Don't loose my flashlight any more when it rolls out onto to the ground hehe... It takes four of these to seal off the window fabric flaps...

[​IMG]
    Google image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]