Lanterns and batteries

JimmyM

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 5, 2014
Franklin, MA
This makes absolutely no sense electrically speaking. But I'm dying to try it out. Lord knows I don't know everything.
I had to post video evidence of my scissor jacks unscrewing themselves before anyone believed me. Because everything I knew up to that point said it wasn't possible.

tombiasi

Super Active Member
Sep 1, 2012
Northwestern New Jersey
Conventional current theory was that it flowed from positive to negative. As technology improved engineers soon realized that it was the opposite. DC current flows from negative to positive. That is why the battery on negative terminal discharges faster than the one connected to the positive one. Thus draining that battery faster.
This makes no sense. Sorry.

tombiasi

Super Active Member
Sep 1, 2012
Northwestern New Jersey
Something that I have been doing for years. Today when little flashlight seemed dim I opened up and reversed the order of the two batteries and now I have a bright flashlight for awhile. Not a long term fix but will help in the middle of nowhere when there are no spares.
Will work no matter how many batteries you have. Just work from the negative terminal and replace in reverse order. Maintain the same polarity just change the position.
Thought that there just might at least one person here that could benefit from this hint.
You are just cleaning the terminals.

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
Conventional current theory was that it flowed from positive to negative. As technology improved engineers soon realized that it was the opposite. DC current flows from negative to positive. That is why the battery on negative terminal discharges faster than the one connected to the positive one. Thus draining that battery faster.
You are kidding, I presume.

Arlyn Aronson

Super Active Member
Jun 11, 2014
Houghton, MI
Sometimes, just spinning the batteries in place helps. I think it's just getting a fresh connection between the batteries that makes the difference. I've done the spinning trick on my remotes and can extend the battery life by a month or more.

I'd try this but I'd just get dizzy and puke.. [LOL]