Large family wanting to get into camping

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by slavila, Feb 19, 2016.

1. slavila

slavila New Member

Hello! We are just in the beginning stages of researching RVing (well, I'm also still trying to convince my husband too [;)] )

We are a family of 9, soon to be 10, that are looking for an economical why to have family vacations, make fun memories, and explore our country. I'm starting with looking into PUPs as I don't think our current vehicle could tow a travel trailer. I also think starting with a PUP would be better than forking over more money for a trailer.

Any other large families camp in a PUP? Is it doable?

2. Wakita46

Wakita46 Active Member

I think that many people would be too many for any pup I have seen but I am no expert. Many camp grounds also have a limit as to how many people can be in a particular camp site. Having done a lot of camping - car camping, back packing, and pop up camping in over 30 states, I would suggest getting a couple of tents. Tents are economical - you don't have to get the fanciest ones. Sleeping bags are not expensive either unless you want a better quality for backpacking. Get a cook stove and some odds and ends and you are all set. You don't have the extra expense of a tow vehicle, either. It's also a way to try it out without breaking the bank and lets you see what is out there at different places you visit. Just my 2 cents.

3. money pit

money pit What could be so bad??? We are camping!!!

[:)C] welcome to the portal...... Camping with a large family is doable but its going to take a lot of planning on your part. There are larger PUPs out there, check out youtube or google and look for something like the Jayco 1207 series of pop ups.....standard configuration of this larger 12ft camper can sleep 7 to 8 adults with the tables down in their sleep mode. I would think depending on how big the kids are you could "stack them like cord wood" lol ......no but you could have a few of them share the sleep spaces, the "u" shaped seating becomes a very large bed...... another option would be to buy the biggest PUP you could afford and also set up 1 or 2 tents for some of the older kids to sleep in...... You are prolly already good at juggling eating in shifts and bed time antics.

Keep us posted on what solutions you come up with.

Here is a link a dealer had posted of a video showing the size and configuration of a mid 2000s 1207 just to give you an idea of the size and what it offers to a camping family.

https://youtu.be/0gAi2r41xQM

4. Kettlebelle

Kettlebelle Member

I'm not sure if popups can (comfortably) sleep that many, but with a family that size, some of your children must be old enough to sleep in a tent! If two to four of them can pitch an instant tent under the popup's awning and on top of a large patio mat, it would make for a super easy and clean setup and tear-down.
    The great thing about a popup is staying "permanently packed" - all of your camp kitchen gear, sleeping bags, etc. have their place, you have a fridge for at least some of your perishables (our family of only five always needs a cooler anyway), and most of your family has a comfy bed at night.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

If you look into a large popup. Know your weight restrictions etc. My popup is close to 3600 pounds which can limit some vehicals. Also note your tow vehicals max rating does not include gear or passenger weight. So say your vehical can tow 5000 you need to subtract the weight of all your passengers and gear from that total and still keep a safety cushion.

6. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Maybe 2 pup's and 2 TV's.... LOL

I bet you already have a full size van for that crew, you could buy 2 pups and tow in tandem!!

Or, like I posted in your other thread, a Fleetwood Avalon is huge, closed it is longer alone than my car/pup!!

I agree with the tent for a couple of the older kids out front of the pup!!

http://www.rvtrader.com/New-and-Used-Fleetwood-Avalon-Pop-Up-Camper-For-Sale-On-RV-Trader/search-results?make=Fleetwood|305435&model=Avalon|764834373&type=Pop%20Up%20Camper|198071&sort=geo_distance%3Aasc&

Keep us posted!!

7. michaeltdyer

michaeltdyer Member

We always had a kids tent for them and mom and dad stayed in the trailer. The kids loved having their own space and so did we! Of course, if you have very small children, you want to keep them in with you.

8. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

I know you won't find a TT that can sleep that many most PUP's sleep more then TT. That said how old are your oldest could they be in a tent? My DD and SIL have 7 in their family and slept in a 14' couchman pup when the older boys got around 12 they moved into tents

9. slavila

slavila New Member

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. There is so much to learn. :)

10. vmswilliamson

vmswilliamson Member

It's definitely do-able, but I would agree with the others, put the older ones in tents. This is a win/win for both you and your older children. A) Their gear is not in the trailer; B) They have some space of their own. An alternative is to have a popup with a screen room. We used ours when our three children brought along friends. Put our son and his friend on air mattresses on the ground in the screen room just outside the door. (You could also use cots) They slept great. Another alternative is to use your tow vehicle as storage space when camping or convert it to allow for sleeping in.

I would definitely check with various campgrounds, public and private, and ask them about family size limits. This will give you more information for your planning tool box as you work on convincing DH what a great opportunity this would be for the whole family.

And, check out www.afarmhousefull.com web site. They camp in a popup.

11. Miamomof8

Miamomof8 Member

Hi Slavila, we too are a large family looking to buy a popup; we only have five left at home, though. It's nice to see other large families looking to camp in PUPs.

12. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

It is very doable - see my post in the other thread. We have 7 kids and a dog and did just fine. You need at least a 12' box.

13. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

Your issue will be where to put all he luggage. Sleeping that many isn't your Problem. It's logistics.

IMO from camping as a family and scout troop you will need a popup that sleeps 7-8. Put a couple older kids in a big tent. They will have more fun anyway. On the camper awning get a screened in porch. Yes a few extra minutes to setup tear down but gives you breathing room. We thought we'd only use ours sometimes but we use it everytime. You could use it for luggage storage, food prep etc. get a second large awning and use that for cooking, cooking prep and hangouts.

Setup and tear down WILL be work but if you plan it out right you'll have a blast.

14. 1951 bear

1951 bear Active Member

Hello and welcome to the forum from South Central Kentucky. I'd go with a good 12' PUP and a tent for some of the older children. With that many it's gonna be interesting but I'm sure that you are experienced with managing the crowd. Everyone needs to pitch in at the campsite. Work for the wife will be magnified without her home appliances. No help for her means she gets no vacation. Camping is fun and economical, but make sure mom doesn't get stuck with all the chores.

BEAR