Larrabee State park

Discussion in 'Washington' started by betancourtfamily6, Apr 20, 2015.

1. betancourtfamily6

betancourtfamily6 New Member

Took the family for a day trip to Larrabee State Park yesterday, beautiful place.

They have, I believe, 26 hook up sites, 51 basic/standard sites, 8 walk in sites (300-400ft), and a group site.
    The campground is just off of Chuckanut Dr/State route 11, which is a very popular coastal drive when the sun is out, so the sounds of motorcycles rang in the air, but we it wasn't too bad.
    Beautiful forested trails lead down past day use shelters, a performance stage and down to the puget sound water. Kids had a great time exploring the tide pools, crabs, starfish and sea shells. The park also has a boat ramp where a few kayakers where putting in. Route 11 cuts though the park, on the west side is the camp ground and beach, on the east side are several hiking trails leading to a couple lakes, I hear it is very nice but haven't hiked that way yet.
    The famous Oyster Bar restaurant and oyster farm are just down the road as are the quaint town of Edison. Don't miss the Farm to Market Bakery, their freshly made cinnamon rolls are amazing!

We will definitely be making camping arrangements here in the future.

2. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Member

My wife and I stopped in there a few weeks back just to check it out as a potential destination. Although the scenery along Chuckanut Drive was beautiful (that was my first time ever driving it) I/we just couldn't get past the road nose. That was really disappointing for me. Maybe it quiets down a lot at night? It IS a beautiful area!

3. Daraky

Daraky New Member

No the road noise does not go down at night. And the trains get worse! People use the road as their own personal race track at night and the train sounds it horn at several crossings right by the campgrounds. Most nights 3-4 trains will wake you.

We live nearby and have camped there 1 night to test things out. I Will never camp there again. Heading just a little bit south to Bayview State Park is MUCH better idea and only 20 minutes south.

4. betancourtfamily6

Thanks Daraky.. didn't even think about those tracks.. too bad really... Bayview State Park is nice.. but I think Larrabee is a bit nicer.... save for all that noise I suppose...

5. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Member

I've never been to Bayview yet. Is it similar to Laribee with water access, tide pools, etc? We're only about 45 minutes south and may have to check it out soon.

6. tika56

tika56 Member

Larrabee vs Bay view - Bay view has sites on a bluff overlooking the water. They are the hook up sites, and good if you like the feel of camping in a parking lot. There are other sites in the woods around a large open field. One of the restrooms is fairly new. The beach is across the street with tide pools and trails.

Larrabee is an old campground. Great trails in and around it, but the campsites are small and not too private, and the whole place feels crowded. And yes, the trains are a problem.

7. betancourtfamily6

I'm guessing Bay View could have tide pools, I didn't see any, however I believe the tide was in when we visited the campground.

8. betancourtfamily6

Disregard anything I mentioned about Bay View ^^^^^^... I was mixing up Bay View with Birch Bay State Park...

9. GrueMaster

GrueMaster Active Member

I grew up 1.5 miles from there, on Chuckanut Point Road. Used to go down and sell fresh cooked dungeness crab (until the rangers kicked me out). The park is great for day trips, but the bulk of the Canadians would camp behind the K-Mart in northern Bellingham more than they would camp there (if that says something).