laser lights and fog machines... too much?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by fiero67, Dec 2, 2013.

1. lonewolf465

lonewolf465 Member

Same here

2. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

It would be a great one-time gag at a group camping event, but... ;)

3. dickinjo

dickinjo Member

Hmmm...throw some pyrotechnics too...people from all around will rush towards with bells ringing...... [8D]poof

4. JT2

JT2 Member

Hi

Actually, I think it would pretty cool to see such a rig because it would be so out of the ordinary. I'd come over and chat with you about your setup. (With my background in theatrical lighting, I'm gonna' guess that you're using DJ-type stuff, because in most places you need a license for real laser, and true laser is expensive gear anyway.) However, even the smallest fog machine will fill your camper pretty quickly, too; you might want to be aware that some "Helpful Harry" three sites away will see your fog and call in a fire alarm. I had that happen on an outdoor show many years ago.

This may be where you meet some problems if you forget that others ARE into looking at the night sky. As long as you keep your show contained -- in the camper or under the awning -- you probably won't bother too many folks as they can simply walk away. But If you start hanging your stuff in the trees or spraying it all over the site, you're sure to have some stiff opposition.

Additionally, you really need to watch the level on your music -- if your music impinges on somebody else's camping pleasure, you're over the line. If you like it loud and thumping wear headphones! (And yes, you can get wireless 'phones so you can walk around or sit outside.)

It does sound like a fun set-up as long as you remember you're not the only one in the CG. Consideration for others will go a long way in gaining their acceptance.

/JT

5. dmonette

dmonette Member

how much for cover?

and you should hire someone to watch for those guys [{:)] [{:)] [{:)]

6. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

Ditto.

7. bfahs

bfahs Member

Yes too much

8. fiero67

fiero67 New Member

Wonderful replies everyone. I appreciate it.
    this thread wasn't meant for judging
    it was meant to get honest opinions... now to answer a few questions. yes, its Dj equipment And NO the music wouldn't be thumping...I didn't want the impression I was setting up a night club... I do that at my house (and yes, I have no neighbors) . I'm talking more about something different to see at a campground. I understand this type of behavior wouldn't be accepted by everyone, which is OK, because I'm not really accepted to everyone. Camping is really fun... I fish... go boating... really enjoy nature.. but Im one that likes to spice things up alittle... hence the reason for the post.
    Thanks JT... you really thought that reply out! and its much appreciated ! especially about the fog machine.
    please keep the replies coming, good or bad

9. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

How is the fog being made? I hope not with dry ice if you are using it in your camper.

10. fiero67

fiero67 New Member

no the fog machine is a chemical that gets poured into a machine... and they dont run constantly... they are remote control and only send out little bursts... just enough to high light the laser effects...

11. skiball

skiball New Member

I too like, out of the ordinary because I am out of the ordinary. Just ask DW.
    I don't think I would have any problems with it at least not once. After the first time, I think I would get tired of it.
    Are you a DJ? My guess is,yes, but I may be wrong.

12. bfahs

bfahs Member

A good rule of thumb is that if you have to ASK if something is too much, annoying or inappropriate that it probably is.

13. fiero67

fiero67 New Member

NO Im not a DJ... but I live on coastal Maine...in the wilderness and they shut down the club we always went to, to dance. So ,as a surprise to my wife .. I converted our living room into a dance room... with all the lighting and a new stereo. She loves it... and like you said... once would be plenty... I think even I would be tired of it night after night...
    thanks to this post... Im sure Ill book sites away from the general population at the CGs and will ask the neighbors if they mind. I dont play loud music... just preparing myself for the upcoming season.
    We are booked this year at a local CG and that weekend is Christmas in July and they do have a contest for hte best themed trailer.... GUESS who is planning on winning it?! LOL

14. skiball

skiball New Member

Ya... I planned to win best costume at this years Halloween party at the CG.
    I still believe I had the best one but one of the permanent site members won with everyone of them getting together and voting for her. Oh well. That is life as an outsider.

15. fiero67

fiero67 New Member

I understand that theory.. I used to go to car shows all the time and it seemed like the local car guy would get all the votes... to the point where I stopped bringing my cars...I had no chance to win.

16. Indy

Indy Member

Based on your updates, I don't really think it would be offensive to others. A little "out there" maybe, but quirky can be fun.

17. fiero67

fiero67 New Member

yeah Indy, you got it... its more for me and my DW... but it might leak out ...of course..at the races .. all of this WILL be outside..cause It is a huge party there!!! WOOT

18. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

It is so smoky at most campgrounds you could probably have a big laser show without the fog machine. I don't think that I would mind as long as it stopped at quiet time. I know that my kids would like it.
    At some campgrounds you can do anything. At a campground next to MT Deception in NH my friends would shoot 1/4 sticks into the air with a sling shot at 3 am and we never had a problem.

19. skiball

skiball New Member

I don't want to be mean but if somebody was putting of 1/4 sticks off at 3 AM where I am staying, there would be a problem.

20. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I totally agree. This campground was the extreme. Loud stereos , giant bond fires, destroyed bathrooms. I went there about 25 years ago, I drove by about ten years ago and it looked the same. . I wonder what it is like now
    It was all young partying campers. The quarter sticks were incredibly loud and would echo off the mountains. I would not even think about camping there now.