laser lights and fog machines... too much?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by fiero67, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

The worst thing I've ever seen in a campground was in the Valley of Fire State Park in Nevada. Some COMPLETE JERK brought a portable 12-foot movie screen, digital projector, surround sound speaker system with a 1,000,000,000,000-watt amplifier* and a huge generator to run the whole thing. He did not ask the rest of us if we wanted a movie. He just started playing a two-hour flick at 9:45 in the evening. Quiet hours started at 10:00 but he figured it wasn't dark enough until then. He thought this was absolutely the coolest thing one could do while camping. The fact that several of us expressed our unhappiness with the situation did not dampen his enthusiasm one whit. Of course, there were no rangers or hosts where we could lodge complaints. The ranger just showed up once a day in mid-morning to collect money from the locked pipe at the entrance.

I go to primitive camping places to enjoy nature and avoid this kind of stuff. I want to see the stars and listen to the wind and the coyotes yipping in the distance. If I want to see a movie in surround sound I'll stay home and play one on my 60" TV. If I want a place lit up like a truck stop I'll go to a truck stop. This oaf should have gone to one of those private CGs where partying is the thing they do. He should have known better than to bring that stuff into the desert and he certainly should have been considerate enough to stop when several people asked him.

* Perhaps I have exaggerated slightly but it sure seemed like that!

2. You-And-I

You-And-I Ozarks Ɯberland Basecamp

3. Detroit_Iron

Detroit_Iron Member

Close to me is Groveland Oaks campground, it's a county run park not state or private. They always put on a dance party type thing (for kids) in the pavilion at dark and they also have a stage set up in the middle of the CG where they hold concerts and karaoke well past 10pm on weekends (never camper there during the week) the park has always been full when we go (the CG has 269 sites) The Oakland County Sheriff patrols the park by car all day/night and I have never seen a problem arise. Very family friendly place also.

4. piscoot

piscoot Member

One reason I love camping is to get away from the hustle and bustle of every day work. Being in an environment (parts manager at a busy dealership) where noise is every minute of my 10 hour shift, camping for a few weekends and my 1 week vacation each year I cherish every moment possible with my wife. The nights especially, sitting at a fire, some wine, s'mores and gazing at the stars dreaming of what can be. But to have that disturbed by a light show omitting "Night club style under the awning.... " from a camper parked remotely close to me for pure enjoyment of yourself and what you think others might enjoy at a camp ground that would push me over the edge.
    Just saying

5. Unstable_Tripod

The kind of CG Detroit_Iron described is the kind I avoid like the plague. I usually look for small, primitive places many, many miles from civilization, even as little as a crossroads general store. Small NF or BLM CGs with unpaved roads and ten or fewer sites are best. Having vault toilets instead of flush helps to keep things slower and more quiet too. Of course, I love to boondock as well, but on a long cross-country trip when you are less familiar with an area it is not always possible to find a good spot. My key words for a good CG are natural beauty, quiet and solitude.

6. fiero67

fiero67 New Member

you have a very valid point... I wouldn't use strobes... because I grew up with childhood epilepsy and know all too well of the seizures.

7. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

you understand then.

8. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Ok, lower your weapons!! [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] But doesn't this just prove, it happens in campgrounds AND boondockin? Yet the loud ones get told to go out in the woods, don't they?? That what I always heard as a kid, "Go play in the woods!!" So we did.[A]

This might have broken my brain. [?:~{]

[:D]

9. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Pam...go to room until you have brain function again! [{:)] [XX(] [Guitar] [WL] [%]

10. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

No way, Alan! [{:)] The brain has another 3 hours before it will even THINK of shutting down.

Even had another sleep study and the lady tech woke me up and just cracked up and asked me if I remembered what I was cackling at! [8D] Yeah, that's what I wanna hear at 6am, which is about when I go into REM sleep! She said I got very little REM, and must dream a lot. Oh, and I've started snoring again, yet I'm a really light sleeper. DOH??

Going back to my closet now....the one with the [Guitar] (picture a banjo)

11. fiero67

fiero67 New Member

wait a minute... you snore and that's alright?!! but yet, I turn on ......laser lights..... NAH.. just kidding ya! lol
    I hope you get your sleep in order!!

12. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

For the last 2/3rds of last season's camping, we stayed at a small fishing resort. Our last trip was the1st weekend of Oct. We spent the weekend prepping the PUP for storage. Going in, we knew that the owner's son-in-law, who works weekends at the resort was having a birthday party that weekend. The owners and their grown kids are the nicest of people, and this resort is usually laid back and quiet. A group of permanent residents have a community campfire, but it's usually not a problem. The resort is relatively small, but that Saturday, there was a huge crowd. The music was very loud. There were strobe lights and smoke machines, with country music that went until after 2 .m. DH & I watched dvd's til after midnight. It was difficult to fall asleep, and we would get woken up every so often. Being more mature, it wasn't our thing. I had wanted to get a good stretch of sleep, so I had the energy to finish buttoning up the PUP for storage. We weren't mad, it was what is was, and we truly love the resort and have high regard for the owners and their family. It was just on occasion, and a special birthday that was a rare occasion.

13. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Maybe it was ME people thought was a bear groanin out in the woods?? LOL

Oh well...can't help it, can't stop it asap. I do usually try to get a site with some space around me though...although I know sound carries. What can ya do!!

Maybe if I snore in rhythm with your music or lights, no one would notice me??? [LOL] [LOL]

14. fiero67

fiero67 New Member

Well, my lights do have a function for sound activation.... lol... could be interesting!! maybe even a viral video on YouTube... heck ...maybe even ELLEN would have you on her show.... this could be huge!! but...probaly NOT...lol

15. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Unless she'll have me on one of her 12 days of Christmas shows, I'd probably get File 13'd, if ya know what I mean!! [A]

16. fiero67

fiero67 New Member

[:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [;)]

17. Haviland

Haviland Member

I think it depends on the kind of CG you are going to. Last summer we made the mistake of going to a highly praised CG that everyone said was awesome, only to find out it was more like and adult summer camp.. with lots of drinking, singing, lights going on at all hours of the night. Now, that was OUR bad (even thought there was supposed to be a quiet time at 11pm). So maybe your light show would be appropriate in the type of CG that is a lot busier, with a lot of late night partiers.

Unfortunately we are a family of 5, and to have the whooping and hollering waking up the baby at night MORE than he usually does.. equals some rather untoward feelings. Because honestly, who loves to hush a crying baby all night long due to someones rousing game of poker or midnight drunken singalong?

So to answer your question, if you are going to a real outdoorsy, rustic campground where people are there to enjoy nature then yes I think its highly inappropriate. If the people there wanted to go to a nightclub they wouldn't be in the middle of the forest.

However, if everyone at the CG is there to party well... rock on and enjoy your lightshow!

18. Unstable_Tripod

This is why I think people should not make general comments when reviewing CGs. Terms like "great" or "we really liked it" are undefined and can mean extremely different things to different people. I prefer to hear objective descriptions of the CG so I can determine if I would think it's great. Tell me how big the sites are, how private or open they are, what facilities exist, what proportion of the sites were occupied, whether it was noisy or quiet, etc. Some people think highly developed CGs with pools and putting greens are great. I'd run very fast from such places. They, on the other hand, might hate my patch of isolated river bank with a pit toilet.

19. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Very good points UT. Perhaps we need a campground review sheet that will rate the points you list.

20. Haviland

Haviland Member

I agree, it would be nice to have a review form that checked off specific points. I know many people that would die if they didn't have all the hookups as well as all the bells and whistles of a big RV park.