Late 60's Appleby Project

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by BohoRex, Dec 25, 2015.

1. BohoRex

BohoRex Member

Today's update: sprayed on a 2nd coat of primer to all the metal bits of the trailer since we got up to the mid 50's today in temperature.

I still have not decided what the final color of the trailer will be - however, I am tending towards a black enamel.

2. BohoRex

BohoRex Member

Until today I have no further updates on the popup tent-trailer project. I've been working on a separate project - building a tiny house on wheels (THOW) for a client. That should be a few more weeks of work - then I can do more on my projects.

Today I went ahead and put in the first coat of gloss black enamel paint onto the primered metal (trailer, leaf springs, axle, and all the miscellaneous hardware).

3. flat_twin

flat_twin Member

Pics man, we need pics!

4. BohoRex

BohoRex Member

Lol... So far no updates to add. I've been working on two construction projects that have all of my waking attention at the moment (building a tiny house on wheels for one person, and finishing out a nail-salon for another person). Once these projects are complete, I can resume work on the Applebee.

5. Fordiesel250

Fordiesel250 Member

I have enjoyed your rebuild so far and will be glad to see upcoming pictures!

6. BohoRex

BohoRex Member

Thank you. The poor Appleby has been put onto back-burner status while I am in the height of my work season. The trailer frame, springs, and axle have been painted black, and the aluminum sheathing sits in my garage... waiting... patiently...

One update, though, that I have decided upon.... The exterior-rated 3/4 plywood is a no-go for me - even if I prime and paint the heck out of it - I won't feel confident in it not rotting away or delaminating. A piece of the scrap was left out and got moisture to it - and it delaminated - so even though it's WAY more expensive - I think that I will pony-up and buy the marine grade ply (at a premium of $100/sheet - and I'll need 3 sheets).

7. Kanook

Kanook New Member

Glad I found this thread. I just picked up an identical condition Appleby for $200. Wood on the wings are rotted but the floors not bad and the canvas is in great shape. Just wanted to give my 2 cents on a couple items. Last year I built a teardrop and from recommendations in those threads I used Henry's roofing tar on the underside. It's worked perfectly. Also like someone else here posted, 50/50 mix of spar polyurethane and mineral spirits called "the mix" works great on any exposed wood. Apply, let dry, and repeat until the wood won't absorb more. Then top coat with 100% spar.
    Can't wait to see your progress

8. BohoRex

BohoRex Member

With most of the summer behind me - I sense a change in the weather. I'll be taking time off of work to go disappear into the smokey mountains (tent camping for this trip)... When I return in a couple of weeks - I can envision the Appleby project resuming.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO XL

9. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

That looks like a fun little project. I cant wait to see the what it looks like finished

10. Fordiesel250

Fordiesel250 Member

Enjoying this build project. Please include more pictures as you go along!

11. Outcastrods

Outcastrods New Member

Have you had any movement on your trailer? I recently started a rebuild of the same trailer. If you haven't replaced the deck yet I have a good option for you.

12. OneToFixIt

OneToFixIt New Member

Great story! We restored this ‘68 Appleby last year and have enjoyed camping in it once now. It was about a 8 month project to blast and powdercoat everything, replace all the plywood, jillion rivets, and wire up.

Please keep this story going! Can’t wait to see how yours turns out!

Attached Files:

13. OneToFixIt

OneToFixIt New Member

Another pic of ours.

Attached Files:

14. BohoRex

BohoRex Member

Wow.. funny how life "happens" and projects get put to the wayside for a while. That same pile of parts - has still lived in my garage.. the aluminum shell in my back yard, the frame, springs, & axle all on the back porch - waiting.... waiting...

I bought new tires/wheels for it this year. I'm putting together a slideshow and narrative of (the same) pics for a YouTube video as my introduction for the project - then the remainder of the rebuild will be video'ed.

I'm motivated again - and this year's bee season is about at an end for the hard labor. Fall and winter will be coming up fast, and I need this project out of my back yard and porch.

** OneToFixIt ** - Where are you located? That's a good looking setup with the VW bug pulling it!

15. BohoRex

BohoRex Member

Part 1 - Video... Basically the same photos that I've already posted. Future updated videos with be actual videos, and not slideshows.

And like everyone else on YouTube says - please "Like" and subscribe. ;)

jnc likes this.
  16. Flipped in NH

Flipped in NH Member

I love this. I am a big fan of vintage PUPs. We have a 1974 Jayco Flipper which is apparently a unicorn in the wild. The one thing we haven't really figured out yet is our bed platforms. They were replaced by the PO but not attached to the camper in any permanent way so we have to lift them out, add the under-bed stabilizer bars and shepherds poles and hope it doesn't fall.

It looks like your Appleby has flip over bed platforms made with piano hinges. Is that true? We are thinking maybe that's what the original looked like on ours... that and the model name "Flipper" although that could also be because it has a rear door and the bedends are out to the side. If you have any photos of the beds folded up, I would love to see them, particularly around the hinge area.

Great job on this beauty!