Late arrival....have to vent

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by yetavon, Oct 22, 2012.

1. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Many times our trips start after the Wife gets off work, making us arriving late. This past trip we rolled in about 9PM. It was still before quiet time but we still done everthing possible to stay quiet, even put off setting up our outside stuff till the morning.
    2 days later the site next to us opens up(nice folks) and we enjoy having alittle more privacy....WELL...About 11:30 PM we hear a vec pull up, people talking as they try and back something in...we have neighbors again. After a few minutes of back and forth we hear CRASH....I look...They DROPPED their landscape trailer gate to unload a golf cart!!!! They unhook the trailer and push it back in the woods, start the SUV and leave....the GC whirls away...finally some peace and quiet.....In the distance I hear the faint sound off a chugging diesel....closer...closer...It stops in front of our camp, doors slam and loud voices heard OVER the sound of the idling truck as they discuse how to get backed in...for the next 30 minutes back and forth, hollering directions...with the continuous DING DING DING of the open door alarm, Dropping wood blocks on the ground, hammering in chocks.....
    I finally snapped and stuck my head out the door and yelled " Are you parking a camper or building a F#$$ing house"
    You could hear several other folk cheer when they shut the truck off.
    The next day they would not even look our way...not sure if it was the fact we had a little Pup beside their massive 5'er with 4 slides...and rode bike instead of a golf cart.
    Rant over, Thanks for listening [:D]

2. packofwises

packofwises New Member

I don't blame you. There is a reason for quiet time and the management should have restrictions for when you can set up. Should be no arrivals after quiet time.

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I know it wasn't said to be funny but I can't stop laughing at this line ... Almost lost my coffee [LOL] [LOL]

4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn New Member

REALLY? I cannot imagine why anyone would be allowed to set up that late. And with a bigger rig, can't you just pull in, sleep as-is, and figure out the rest in the morning, IN DAYLIGHT after everyone is awake?

5. badgamuss

badgamuss Member

I am surprised you waited that long. For some reason common courtesy has become foreign to many these days. I put this on another post but I do believe it belongs here as well. [LOL] [LOL]
    [​IMG]

6. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

You all would LOVE Korea! ;)

7. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I like the gates in the BC provincial parks. They close at PM quiet time and open at AM quiet time. No one gets in or out during quiet time unless it is an emergency.

Many years ago my son and I were tent camped in a CG on the Olympic Peninsula. We went to bed about 10 PM. At 11:30 PM four or five cars descended on an empty site across the road. Each car had three or four people. They positioned the cars so their headlights would illuminate the campsite and left the engines running. Then they proceeded to laugh loudly, yell directions to one another, drop cargo and metal tent poles, slam car doors 12,000 times and make a general ruckus for an hour and a half. They put up three large tents and it seemed that these were new out of the box and that they had never pitched them before. These folks were either so self-absorbed that the thought of being a nuisance to others never entered their minds or else they were completely selfish jerks who simply didn't care.

8. packofwises

packofwises New Member

These people tend to sleep late in the mornings. Know what they say about paybacks. (insert evil laugh here!)

9. Rambo91145

Rambo91145 New Member

I agree those people sounded very rude and obviously didn't care about the people Round them. Unfortunately I was on the opposite end of this over the weekend. We got to the campground very late after a mix of miscalculation, traffic and TV breakdown. When we got to the site I made sure we just used marker lights (no headlights) parked as quick and quietly as possible and instead of yelling jumped out several times to look, and set up as quick and quietly and as little light as possible, mainly headlamps, didn't put up any outside stuff, and went to bed pretty quick and I still felt terrible about it. Sometimes things delay you and you have no choice but to show up lAte and you learn from it. I would never dream of making all that racket, and do you really need a golf cart and all that other junk that late? Rude people. You handled it the way I would of, right or wrong. The ones that I hate the worse are you say something like that and they get mouthy like its your fault for saying something to them???!!
    I hope you got some sleep finally!!

10. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

THIS!^

That's exactly it. As far as showing up late is concerned, hey, it happens and sometimes there's just nothing you can do about it. That said, I'll never say a word if the persons in question are trying to be reasonably quiet and considerate.

All I'd ask would be that they attempt to be quiet, restrict unnecessary conversation, take a minimalist approach to setting up and worry about setting up the bells and whistles during daylight hours. You can't always prevent kids from being kids or dogs from being dogs but if at least there's some attempt, it's all good.

You don't need to set up the awning or cooking tent and you shouldn't need stadium lighting to get the rest done either.

11. mrtuba9

mrtuba9 New Member

Yep, been there too. The latest/worst was when they sent a rent-a-cop down to help. I think he was just there to watch me; he wasn't much help. Come to find out the next morning, I could have (albeit against park rules) pulled straight in instead of trying to back in while it was pitch black dark! At least I thought to call ahead while two-hours away, or we may have lost our spot!

12. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

We sometimes arrive very late as we have to leave after work, or are travelling too far to get in earlier, and have to be there for an early morning event or appointment.

We however, are very conscious about noise, lights, etc., and generally set up without neighbors even noticing (they tall us in the morning "When did you get in?"). We don't slam doors. work noisy cranks, flash lights around without red filters, or speak above a whisper.

As long you are quiet, you're not violating quiet hours.

As for gates, we camp in a lot of areas where gates are shut at a certain time, usually 10 or 11. We've found if we explain our situation to the campground manager and let them know we will set up quietly, they'll either give us a gate code, or they'll shut the gate but leave it unlocked, telling us to lock it after we've set up. If you are polite and have good karma, good things happen to you.

Someone arriving late and setting up LOUDLY as in the OP's example is another thing entirely, and totally inexcusable.

13. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

That kind of noise would frustrate me, too.

You won't be late to a state park in N.C. During the summer months, the gates get locked at 9:00pm and don't reopen until 8:00am. During the spring/fall times, they close at 8:00pm. During winter, early spring/late fall (starts Nov. 1st), they close at 6:00pm. There are no exceptions. Many have been the campers who have misjudged their time while out doing various things, only to return to the CG to find the gate locked. There's no choice but to park outside the gate, walk in (which can be quite a hike in the dark at some of the parks), then retrieve your car/truck the next morning after 8:00am.

I do like the coded gates that S.C. state parks have (or at least some of them). On the other hand, N.C.'s parks ensures that you will never have a late arrival making too much noise.

14. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

I don't like locked gates, the 1st time I encountered this was up in Gore, Va and the CG locked us in, and others out! But if there had been an emergency or a fire, there was no way to get off the Mountain. We spoke to the Owner and found out they had had some vandalism and decided to put a steel gate up! Can't blame them. They showed us a trail to get around if needed. [8D]

15. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

I never thought of that before, but locked gates would indeed be a hazard in case of fires or emergencies.

16. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Cant remember if it was this site or another that someone had a posted a similar problem. They resolved it by firing up the chainsaw at 0600. The other campers (jerks) left later that day.

17. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

The CGs with locked gates that I've used (provincial parks in BC) all open them in the event of an emergency. The host has the key or combination and is camped near the gate.

18. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Where I just camped, they just installed those coded gates. They'll let you drive out, but you can't come in, and they used the words NO exceptions, too! I asked why the keypad on the outgoing side then....she had no clue. arg

All I can say is this. If I have to leave in the night for an emergency, odds are I won't be back that night anyway. They might have to wait for ME to come fold the pup down if my dh or rotndogs are ailing!

[:D]

19. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

If the host is disabled in an emergency and is the only one who has the gate code, everyone can be in danger.

Fortunately, we've always been able to get a code by asking nicely in advance.

20. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

Having a lock or code for the gate to me can be a bad thing if there is a Fire or some big emergency and Travelhoveler has a good point to. but also you can cut the lock off or push the gate with the TV.