Late arrival....have to vent

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by yetavon, Oct 22, 2012.

1. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

When traveling across the country we pack the pup so there is only our folding chairs to take out. We are minimalists when we do this type of traveling!

Anyway there are times we would pull into the CG after quiet hours. This is why we make reservations at the CG while we are on the road trying to figure out how far we can travel that day. We always ask for a pull thru so we doesn't have to mess around backing up. As soon as we start to pull into our site the headlights go off and just use the parking lights. We put on our headlights or a flashlight, unhook do a quick front to back level and then crank it up. About the only noise we hate is the cranking up part! You know CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK!!!

I have to say once we get into the site and before we get out of the car we discuss our strategy and then we will leave the car doors open to eliminate the opening and closing of doors.

Our method must work, because one time we pulled between two pups and we were pretty quiet! The next morning they were both shocked when they got up and saw us there. I was making coffee and told them sorry for pulling in so late, they said they never heard us pull in!!!

One thing I hate is folks deciding to split firewood at 11:00 at night!!! Do you really need to split firewood that late????

2. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

I've often felt tempted to split their heads when they do that! [:(!]

3. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Travelhoveler:
    I think that we are now getting into the realm of the extremely unlikely just to support a predetermined position. If you don't like gates just say so. First, the "host" is usually a couple and both can lock/unlock the gate. Emergencies are rare and the odds of either of them being incapacitated at the exact time of an emergency are slight; the odds of both being out of commission at the same time during an emergency are nearly negligible. On top of that, the police and fire/EMTs probably have the combo or a passkey anyway.

4. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

I think my truck is more that capable of driving through most gates or fences in an emergency. Just sayin'......

5. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Good to know! Can I catch a ride? [LOL]

6. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

I've experience both sides of the coin - people who come in late and are loud and obnoxious - and I've gone out the next morning and found a unit in the spot next to us that wasn't there the night before.

The best one, though, was one time at Parker Dam State Park. Some guy with a 29 foot TT pulls in at 11 PM and did the "back and forth - back and forth" thing for 40 minutes, trying to get in his site. I was annoyed for about the first 5 minutes, but after the 2nd time he backed over his site post - I found it rather entertaining. [:D]

7. rabird

rabird Howdy!

I was almost locked in one time. Luckily I found out ahead of time, I had to be at the marina early to fish.
    Attendant mentioned that due to the weather conditions (tornado warning near by) they would leave the gate open all night.

8. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

I do not like late arrivals either. Once 5 vehicles showed up at 3:30 AM from CO to a local UT state park (just a simple place around a small reservoir). About 20 people were wandering around with headlights. What would possess them to arrive so late? Thankfully, they settled down fairly quickly.

9. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Maybe they had to work on Friday until 9pm like we do...

10. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Will you show me where I said I don't like gates? I actually like them, as they deter non-campers from coming in and just driving around making noise, visiting their buds, or rowdies going in and out for a 2 AM beer run. I've never had a problem with them, not once in years of camping. If we know we will arrive late, we make arrangements to get in. Asking politely has always worked.

I also agree that an emergency incident is quite unlikely, but it would only take ONE otherwise preventable tragedy to make for a terrible situation.

Why not require such gates to automatically open for exits, but require a key code for re-entry? That way you don't have to rely on your host standing at the gate at 3:23 AM to let you out in the case of an emergency (say, your daughter has been reported in an accident and the hospital needs you there, etc.)

Extremely unlikely events are indeed extremely unlikely, but they can happen.

11. rabird

rabird Howdy!

This is what I have experienced at TX state parks, the exit is one way with spikes if you go the wrong way. The park will often write the gate code on the 'ticket' ya stick on the window or they have a late arrival/overflow area.

12. inthechateau

inthechateau Failure is not an option

Believe me, if there is an emergency in an area and teh gate is locked, the fire departments all carry MASTER keys on thier trucks. Monster bolt cutters or winch on the pump truck and just pull it out of the way. Seen it happen...

13. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

The place I go often is an ACOE campground. Between seasons, they installed security gates with keypads. I sort of think they have it right....anyone can leave after quiet hour, but NO ONE GETS BACK IN after quiet hour starts. I don't have any problem with this because let's face it, if it's an emergency that made me leave, I'd toss the few valuables I camp with in the truck and haul boogey. Odds ARE, I WON'T be coming back that night anyway. And the campground hosts, once informed of the situation, will keep an eye on things for the most part, if asked nicely.

[:D]

14. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

That's nice if the campground is close enough to a fire hall. Here, many are miles and miles from nowhere.

If you're going to have a gate, why not just install a pressure switch so it opens to outgoing traffic. NO CHANCE AT ALL of a calamity caused by someone trapped.

Here in Tennessee, most of our state parks aren't gated late at night, but a few are. But they're not locked. In each case, we've been told to arrive, open the gate and shut it when once we pass through.

Now Alabama has an interesting thing going at some of its larger state parks. They have night watchpeople on duty all night. We've pulled up at 1 in the morning when traveling long distances, paid the camping fee to the watchperson, then set up, quietly of course.

15. Kimmie

Kimmie New Member

I finally snapped and stuck my head out the door and yelled " Are you parking a camper or building a F#$$ing house"

Sorry had to laugh, that's the best line I've heard for ages [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]
    Can sympathise though.....in between sniggering [:)C]

16. mnebinger

mnebinger Livin' The Dream!

When I checked in at Myrtle Beach SP they wrote the gate codes (they change the code on Sun night) on the back of our mirror tag. I liked that better than having to call 911 to get a park ranger to open the gate (that's what you have to do at Stone Mtn SP).

17. Unstable_Tripod

Seriously folks, how often are you experiencing 911-level emergencies while you are camping?

18. starcrafty

starcrafty Guest

Now how in the heck could a statement like this possibly add anything helpful to the the discussion? I mean, really? How often are you "experiencing 911-level emergencies" anywhere? Shall we do away with emergency services?
    Yet if someone mentions that they pulled their popup faster than 65mph, or towed anywhere close to their towing capacity, or towed with their tire pressure....., then they are the spawn of the devil out to endanger us all on the roadway. Pleeeeeeease!

19. Unstable_Tripod

I don't care if you agree or disagree with me, Starcrafty, but I don't see why you seem to think that a negative, sarcastic tone contributes to the discussion. Nor do I see the relevance of points like towing speed, loaded trailer weight or tire pressure to this discussion. Also, neither I nor anyone else suggested (or would support) doing away with emergency services.

If you review the thread objectively you will see that those who oppose or dislike locked CG gates during quiet hours seem to be, for the most part, supporting that objection with the possibility of an emergency. All I'm saying -- and I don't think anyone else misunderstood me -- is that I just don't think emergencies that require a 911 call happen that often in campgrounds, relative to all of the millions of hours people camp in campgrounds every year. Further, I commented in an earlier post on the fact that the hosts and first responders have the means to open the gates at any time under such conditions. Therefore I don't see emergencies as an objectively valid criticism of locked CG gates. If you have an objectively valid criticism, please provide it -- but without the rancor.

BTW, the Portal management frowns on quoting an immediately preceding post in its entirety. Just FYI.

20. mnebinger

mnebinger Livin' The Dream!

I wasn't saying that it was a 911-type emergency. At that SP, if you had to leave after the gate was closed their procedure was that you called 911 from the pay phone and asked them to call the park ranger to open the gate.

One time a family that was camping beside us left at midnight when a TS flattened their tent and everything was soaked.