Late arrival....have to vent

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by yetavon, Oct 22, 2012.

1. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

I have stayed many times at our local state parks (we have two) without any issues, and I, for one, really like the locked gates. There is a phone beside the gate, plus we have our cell phones for emergencies. We don't venture out much in the evenings, so getting locked out isn't an issue. I'm not saying they are for everyone, but I like them.

Once the gates close in the evening, our state park CGs are quiet.

2. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

If you read the thread accurately, I've never stated I oppose or object to gates. We've always found if we ask nicely, we can get a code, or the ranger will leave it unlocked for us if we are running late. We have done this in Tennessee state parks, at Little Talbott Island in Florida, at Little Hunting Island in SC, and at Lake Jordan in NC. We always explain we are quiet when setting up, and we've never been turned down. And we are quiet. That's the point park managers care about regarding late night access; I've done the same for other visitors when I was a ranger, once I verified they would set up quietly and remain quiet.

I totally agree that emergencies don't often happen, and a host, if they are around, or a first responder, if they are nearby, can open a gate under such conditions.

It's the rare emergency, where the park where the host may be off at the back of the campground chatting up someone, or the first responders are miles away, that raise a concern. I don't see why gates can't be fitted with pressure pads so they open automatically to exiting traffic (and open automatically if the power goes off, say from a forest fire burning the lines.)

Such cases are again very unlikely, but it would only take one single incident to cost lives, and by fitting such gates with automatic opening devices (such as we've seen in some parks, airports, etc.), such a remotely unlikely but still quite possible tragedy could be avoided. 911-type emergencies do happen in campgrounds; hopefully, a locked gate won't turn that 911 call into a Code F.

3. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Let's go back to basics. This thread is about the noise and hassle some people cause by coming into a campground late and setting up without any consideration for others. I said that at some of the BC parks I've used they have a gate that is locked during quiet time so no one can go in or out. That eliminates the problem.

We could debate for weeks about how a gate should be made or what capabilities it should have, etc., etc., but that really isn't the point of the thread. I don't have a problem staying in a CG set up like that. It's clear that none of the other people who were in those CGs did either. In fact, some of them specifically sought out a gated CG for the quiet and security it provides at night. If you have any issues or objections to them, don't stay there. As for exceptions, if you can get someone to let you in anyway, that's fine for you but it defeats the point of the gate.

4. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Years ago when my son was 7 yrs old we had a neighbor that snored (loud)! After about 30 min. he gets up in his underwear, shouts outside "Shut UP!!! I can't sleep!" Everyone was proud of this young kid!

The next morning they would not look at us, but it also turned out to be the wife and not husband!

5. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

I have no problems with gates. I have stated I like them as they keep idle folks from driving around, hellions from showing up in the middle of the night, etc.

However, the remote safety factor seems to be a good argument for having gates that automatically open at exit. I haven't seen a convincing argument against one yet.

Yes, no one here has complained about being in gated campground. But if they or a family member were to be trapped in a very unlikely emergency, they might. I hope we never see such complaints. I maintain that gates that will open automatically on exit are a good idea in the unlikely event of an emergency when a host or responder can't be available.

I have no objection to gates being locked against people trying to enter. We rarely stay in such developed campgrounds anyway, and when we have, we've been able to make arrangements to get a code or have a gate left unlocked if we were coming late. In such cases, we have set up quickly and quietly, and caused no disturbance to others.

6. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

THAT WAS YOU!
    I'm sorry but she can saw some logs....

7. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

Most parks we have stayed in have signs posted that the park is closed after 10 p.m. and that generally is adhered to. Once stayed in a state park where it was supposed to be closed... but the local kids knew what time the staff left or went to bed and came in at midnight and made all kinds of noise. Was not a good sleeping night.

8. n6nvr

n6nvr New Member

I've only stayed at one campground that had locked gates. but they supplied the codes to all campers. Mostly locked to keep the occasional wayward traveler wandering in. On a somewhat major highway but nothing really in the immediate vicinity.

9. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Devastating to the Spotted Owl!

10. froggie

froggie New Member

Sometimes I snore.

11. Mickeyrv

Mickeyrv Week day camping is great

I'm very much in favor of locking the gates into the park at a pre-notified time, however I feel that a access code should be given all registered campers at check in. If your a late arrival, you can return in the morning. They have the ground spikes that take out your tires if you try to go the wrong direction on them. This is great for those who want to leave the park in case of emergencies or what ever. Those who arrive late will loose tires if they try to enter via the exit only side which is guarded by the one way steel spikes. I suggest and approve of very strong steel gates to keep the late arrivals out until morning. I have seen the steel spikes at the drive in movies on the exit only location. I have seen the steel gates in S. Carolina and N. Carolina parks I have yet to see a CG that uses both.

12. rawlus

rawlus New Member

All you need is te electrified fence with concertina wire on top and tall guard poss at all four corners with 24/7 armed snipers to deal with those late arrivers! How dare they!

13. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Not so much late arrivals but we were on a Mountain in Va and a kid tripped, needed stitches and we were locked in. Of course we had 4 wheelers and got the Family out The Owners had vandalism and put the gate up, can't blame them and they showed us a trail to bypass the gate. [8D]

14. chinolofus

chinolofus New Member

We mostly camp at 2 state parks. 1 with a gate and 1 without. The 1 with has a tire shredder so you can't come back in, which i think is good. The 1 without a gate is on the edge of a small town and gets a lot of traffic from the locals joyriding late at night. Sometimes loudly. Now the noise doesn't bother me much because it comes and goes pretty quickly and isn't constant, but it can be creepy there if the place is empty and a car comes driving through slowly at 1 am. For that reason we only camp there on weekends when it is busy.

15. CamperJenn

CamperJenn Member

I have shown up late to camping, and try to be as quiet as I can.

Unfortunately my camper is quite loud to crank.... But after its all quiet.

I felt bad when I showed up at Algonquin at 2am after work...

16. tvketchum

tvketchum New Member

Or a sturdy pair of bolt cutters....

17. Ken Mc

Ken Mc Member

Some ppl just don't have respect for others; or themselves.... [V]

18. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

A couple of years ago, we camped in a local park. We were in the full hookup loop, so most of the neighbors were in class A & C motorhomes. But there were several others in pups. The pull through site across from me was open. At about 1030 I heard someone pull into that site. Then the shouting started about how to get pulled in. Too far forward, too far back, it went on and on for about 20 minutes until they shut the Class C down.

I looked out and they had a big box trailer on the back. Turns out there was a race car in there. How do I know? He spent the next hour or more on his Nextel phone in walkie talkie mode talking to friends. Talking about how well he did in the race. About minute details of the race. Of course everyone in the loop heard all parts of the conversation. He'd talk loudly into it, then chirp chirp then the other guy.

Meanwhile the kids got a fire started. Well the kids must have been cooped up in that vehicle for a long time. They started running around the loop screaming. And it wasn't just kids playing. They were in their early teens and chasing each other shouting obscenities. Next step for the kids was to find torches. Yep, they came out of the woods with branches covered in leaves. They started running around with the burning leaves dropping off of the branches. The obscenities continued.

Shortly after, the ranger showed up and they all quieted down. When I woke up the next morning, they were gone. I never heard a peep out of them after the ranger left, never even heard them pack up to leave.

19. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Are you guys camping or going to prison ??

20. Bigpineguy

Bigpineguy New Member

We only had to set up late one time, and while we still had our pup .... I kept respect for others around me , the one neighbor even complimented me on how quiet I did the set up for being a pup ( they were in a TT ) ....you would think it would be common courtesy... some ppl are just rude....