Late arrival....have to vent

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by yetavon, Oct 22, 2012.

1. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

[quote author=Bigpineguy lik=topic=65596.msg602250#msg602250 date=1361538712]
    We only had to set up late one time, and while we still had our pup .... I kept respect for others around me , the one neighbor even complimented me on how quiet I did the set up for being a pup ( they were in a TT ) ....you would think it would be common courtesy... some ppl are just rude....
    [/quote]We had the same thing once. We arrived very late. The people in the next site were surprised to see us the next morning!

I've never seen a gate at a campground, but we never go to private campgrounds.

2. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

A lot of the state parks have gates. Most of them don't close them. We go to Lake Sherwood campground in the Monongahela NF. That has a gate, they give you the combo when you check in and it's changed every week. None of these are private campgrounds.

3. ric66

ric66 New Member

You know how it is some people are special the rules don.t apply to them just everybody else. [2C]

4. Indy

Indy Member

I agree that late arrivals are sometimes necessary (or unavoidable), but that all care should be taken to set up quietly.

I don't like locked gates, though. It was never really an issue for me until we were at Mustang Island camping one night and I had a sudden middle-of-the-night asthma attack. My inhaler was empty. This is something I don't always think to check, as my asthma was bad in childhood but tapered off to practically non-existent. Only in the last couple of years have I seen the allergies/asthma issues starting to return, and I usually only deal with it once or twice a year. Well, there I was in the PUP, locked in the campgrounds, no breathing aids or meds, and I could NOT calm down enough to breathe. DH ran up to the gates, called the emergency number, and they came to unlock it so he could run to the nearest 24-hour pharmacy. They weren't thrilled to have to open the gate at 2am, and truthfully it wasn't a 9-1-1 type emergency, but I waited as long as I could and tried every home remedy I could think of to regain my breathing. It was only getting worse, and I didn't want to wait until it became a 9-1-1 level emergency to try and deal with it. Not being able to breathe is scary.

My coughing, gasping, wheezing, heating water for steam, etc. surely was more noisy and annoying than a Jeep silently pulling away to find a pharmacy. Please don't lock me in at night. We try to come fully prepared, but sometimes the unexpected emergency arises.

Thank you.

5. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

Indy: I think yours was a perfectly good reason to call the emergency # to have someone unlock the gate. 2:00am or not. If they're going to lock gates (and it's fine with me if they do), they also have to realize that there are times when they're going to get called in the middle of the night. I'm glad it worked out for you.

6. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

On a positive note, we were camping in a county park last year and a camper came in about 11:00 one night. I was still up reading and heard them come through. When I looked out, I saw it was someone with a pop-up. They backed into a site about 2 down from us. I couldn't believe how quiet they were and they set up that whole camper using only little lights, turning them on only as they needed to check something and then turned them off again. They talked in whispers and shut their car doors quietly. I later ran into the woman in the washroom and thanked her for being so quiet and respectful when they came in. She said they had been traveling all over the United States, from the East Coast to the West. They were on their way home to Canada and were hoping to make it home that night but they'd gotten a late start that morning and were just too tired. There are times when people will come in late but these travelers really knew how to do it. They were gone early the next morning and we didn't hear them leave either.

7. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Cove CG in Gore, Va was having theft problems after hours so the Family put up a locked gate. Don't blame them BUT its on top of a Mountain and god forbid there was a Fire!!! Or other Emergency. They showed us the path to get around the gate [8D]

8. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

A better solution is to require campgrounds installing gates to use pressure switches so that vehicles can leave in case of an emergency, while still restricting entry. If not one had responded to the call, a disaster could have happened. (Her husband could have driven to the pharmacy, and even if the gate was locked on his return, he could have parked there and walked in with the inhaler.)

I have yet to see any compelling argument against pressure activated gates.

9. Jimbow

Jimbow Active Member

Only one I can think of is someone driving up to allow people in. Defeats the no late arrival restriction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

10. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Walked in? The gate was miles from our loop, we could have drove down to get them but there was no cell service. THERE always has to be a way in and out. I have never been stuck but it stunk when our Friend was [8D]

11. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

One "argument" against pressure activated gates is that they are a whole lot more expensive than a simple manual gate. With federal and state parks getting their funding slashed I doubt many will want to spend their meager funds on them.

In the case Indy described there was a provision to open the gate after hours and it worked as intended. Beyond that, I'd simply suggest that campers who find if locked gates objectionable refrain from camping in places that have them. That way they and the people who like them can both have what they want.

12. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

The cost of providing a gate, while considerable, is insignificant if it saves a life.

In Indy's case, the call was answered and someone responded. One can't expect with empirical certitude that a person will always respond everywhere in time.

I have no objection to gates myself; I think they keep idle curious and rowdies out. I do think though that there is a compelling need to either provide pressure activated gates or provide campers with a code to open them in case of an emergency. If someone's life is saved as a result, it's worth any momentary disruption to my enjoyment of peace and quiet.

13. Indy

Indy Member

I'm completely ok with gates, given they provide the gate code, badge to swipe, or some other form of entry/exit after hours. That seems to be a very reasonable compromise. True, it is not 100% fool-proof, but it is a reasonable solution that will work in the vast majority of cases.

14. rd3

rd3 New Member

I must be evil because this is the first thing that came to my mind.

15. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

I've camped all my life and have never seen one. I'm not saying I don't believe they exist, only that I have never seen one. Maybe they're more prevelant in some states with higher crime rates.

16. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

The ACOE place I camp at alot just added gates in 2011. You can get OUT after hours, but they state clearly there will be NO REENTRY after hours. If I had to leave on a medical emergency, I'd probably be in the ER all night anyway. But our house is in between the ER and the campground, so it would be just as easy to sleep at home until morning. I know that only works for like 1% of the camping population, but that's the new rule.

Now the place I go is small enough that we could actually park at the gate, off to the side, and walk to our spot...depending upon what is wrong with me or DH.

[:D]

17. mnebinger

mnebinger Livin' The Dream!

The SPs I have been to have gates. The NC SP gates close at 9pm. If you need to get out after that you have to call 911 to get the ranger to open it for you. Myrtle Beach SP gives you the gate code.

18. fix_it

fix_it Member

I have only camped at on campground that had a locked gate. I have been to several that have gates, but those are only locked when the campground is closed (off season). That said, I will only stay at a campground that locks me in if I really can't find another place to stay. Then, only with a large pair of bolt cutters and a tow chain. Even an acetylene torch, if it wasn't so much trouble to drag along. I WILL open the gate, one way or another. I won't allow myself to be trapped.

19. turborich

turborich Active Member

I have arrived late a couple of times due to traffic or weather conditions. We are as quiet as possible and get it done as fast as we can.

I would NEVER do what the original poster described, this is just flat out rude and inconsiderate!

20. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

We now have a Hybrid, and "when" we are a late arriver we will probably turtle till the morning.