Late arrival....have to vent

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by yetavon, Oct 22, 2012.

1. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Yetavon, WHERE are the pics???

;D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

2. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Patients Grasshopper....you shall view soon....if plans work

3. ridenred333

ridenred333 New Member

I had someone show up once and started cutting down trees and splitting big chunks of woods. That ticked me off then there kids where throwing rock up into the trees trying to break off dead branches. I went and knocked on the campground host trailer door that night and told him what was going on. He wasnt a happy camper [:O]

4. rawlus

rawlus New Member

Never camped anywhere with a gate other than one private CG in nh that has an automatic gate and you get a card to open it as needed.

I cannot think of something more inconvenient than a locked, gated campground. If that sort of action is truly necessary, then I don't want to live near there because that's a societal issue not a CG issue.

Locked gates at night, combos and keys, to me say the CG staff is lazy and chooses not to provide a service to the campers, instead locking you in and the bad people out like an infantile prison. What is there to like about that? If there are rowdies that are likely to cruise the CG and night and raise hell, then all the more reason for the CG staff to step up and act, man the entance, patrol or request patrols, provide some active security and monitoring rather than passive deterrents like a locked gate.

I don't want to be locked into my hotel at night and I don't want to be locked into my neighborhood at night, so im not going to be locked into my campsite at night. That people tolerate this sort thing Amazes me.

5. mnebinger

mnebinger Livin' The Dream!

All State Parks in NC (that I have been to) have gates. They typically open the gates at 8am, but closing times depend on which month it is. The gate is on the main road.

I've never had a problem getting out if needed, and it definitely solves this problem. The gates are typically too far from the camp area to hike in.

6. XD9_Shorty

XD9_Shorty New Member

Last weekend we had at least 3 come in around us, it was camper app. but still. We were inside watching a movie. They weren't loud or anything but still kinda annoying. The next day all seemed very nice.

7. PGcamper

PGcamper New Member

Locking gates is terrible, i wouldn't want to stay there.
    As far as late comers, I think people should learn to be a lot more tolerant and understanding, but I agree it is rude to do as OP described

8. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Tolerant? I'll give you an example of my tolerance. Last weekend, 11:30 PM in the Escalante Petrified Forest State Park Campground, some moron got me out of the bed and outside because of his lack of intelligence.

I'm parallel parked in a pull through, and across the road are back ins. So the moron (and yes, I'll call him a Moron and I called him a moron to his face) pulls in angles his truck aimed at my popup, and stops about 1 foot from the side, and leaves his truck idling with the brights ON HIGH, and decides to talk with his buddies across from me. After three minutes, I got up, went outside and yelled, "hey moron, park your damn trailer and get it away from mine." He actually looked over and said he didn't think it would disturb me. Well, at that moment I had to question his intelligence and he did not deny being stupid; so I took it he was.

But he did move his truck get his popup planted.

So, if people arrive late and try and be quiet, I'll be tolerant, but if they arrive and act like complete idiots, I have no tolerance.

9. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

It's like I just said about generator use in another thread: some people have no clue they are being rude and others just don't care. I've had vehicle headlights aimed at my camper at night too. I'll yell out the window to turn them off!

10. Pup Daddy

Pup Daddy New Member

We just got back from a five day-er at the Grand Canyon and everyone was pleasant with the campground quiet and relaxing until..............someone arrived at midnight and set up right next to us. They had a rented RV that was also towing their camper van. They made no attempt at being quiet and were using walkie talkies for some reason. I couldn't tell what they were saying as it was a foreign language. They left the following night, yup, at 3:00 am. They were even noisier this time. The speed limit in the camp area is 5mph but the driver of the RV was going faster than that and when he hit the speed bumps the empty car trailer would go flying and make an awful racket. You would think they would drive a mile or so down the road to hook up their van to the rig but no. They decided to do that at the entrance to the campground where everyon [:(O]e got to listen. Ignorance and rudeness danced hand in hand that night!

11. shawnba

shawnba Shitters full!!!

that was money!!...I would have done something similar!!....lol

it amazes me how inconsiderate some are...did the fact that it was 1130pm and dark outside just fly right by them...

thank you for that post....I salute you for standing up to the putz!!

12. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

I totally agree. There is no excuse for using that type of language, especially when children are around (like in a campground).

Proud of a child shouting "shut up"? [:(]

That all depends on what you personally view the point to be. If the point is for campground safety, then I disagree. If you believe the only point to having a gate is to prevent late arrivals, then you have a point that I happen to disagree with.

We like to go about and see things other than what happens to be right in the campground. I might be at a campground outside of a national park. We sometimes stay late at national parks. I need to be able to get back to our campsite after a day of exploring. Sometimes there are things in a national park that can only be experienced at night (ie: the crater glow at Volcanoes N.P.). I will not disturb you by quietly returning and going to bed at our campsite.

What if I want to get up early to fish at an area outside the campground? In N.C. state parks, I can't get out to fish before 8:00 AM? I can't go about my day until 8:00 AM?

I might make reservations and travel far to go camping. Campers like me who have never experienced a locked gate at a campground might not even be aware that we made reservations at a campground that is "locked down" for 10-12 hours every day. Prior to first reading this thread, I would have never thought to even be on the lookout for such campgrounds. (We have crossed N.C. off our list [;)] )

I'd have no problem with a gate if it had a code available for registered campers. That would be similar to swiping your key to enter a hotel after a certain time. Heck, I wouldn't be against having the gate closed 24 hours, as long as registered campers were able to enter and exit freely.