Late check-in and set-up?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Furdy, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Furdy

Furdy Member

Need your experienced opinions. How late is too late to pull in and set-up. Seems like we always get to our destination late in the evening. With a 5-6 hour trip this weekend it is likely going to be close to 8:30 or 9:00 pm. As a courtesy to the adjacent lots , should I stop, spend the night and check-in the next morning?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

2. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

We've set up in the dark more times that I would like. I just try to do so as quietly as I can so not to disturb any sleeping neighbors.

bob barnes likes this.
  3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Most of the State Parks we have camped in (Ohio, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Tennessee and New York) and almost all of the Provincial Parks all have a last check in time, meaning if your later then this time you are to camp in the main parking lot and wait until morning to check in and setup on your site. I would suggest calling the campground if your going to be late, some of them will have someone wait around until you arrive, others will tell you where to park for the night..

4. R00

R00 Active Member

Neighbors will be more fussy about what time you pull in than campgrounds, in my experience...

5. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

For us, it would depend on the overall length of the trip. If it was a weekender, we would stay within 100 miles and get there by 6 or 7PM on Friday night to get in two nights. If it was for a longer period of time, say a week, we would leave very early Saturday morning, eat breakfast on the road, and get there mid morning.

My wife is a 5th grade teacher, so after 2 weeks of back to school craziness, we always do a weekend camp out in late September. We will get the camper ready and pack our stuff in the Trailblazer, and then I get off work a little early and pick her up at school and head straight to our favorite weekend state park 100 miles away. We are set up by 6:30 and at the campfire. [:D]

6. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Most campgrounds have a quiet time. If you are in and setup before quiet time then you are good. Coming in after quiet time begins is a little more problematic. Quiet time usually starts at 11 p.m.

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We've encountered a few places that were like Snow mentioned - they have a gate that closes at a certain time. IIRC, that is usually about 9 p.m.
    Many of the places we camp have quiet hours beginning at 10 p.m.
    All that said, 8:30 or 9 isn't all that late and we've seen people set up later. (We try our best to get into camp before supper time, the few times circumstances have imposed later arrival have not been fun for us.)
    If you know your pup well enough to do a basic set-up in the dark without hassle, arriving before quiet hours should not be an issue. Trying to set up in the middle of the night is cruel to your neighbors - the final straw for us in a SP was when the site next door arrived at 1 a.m., spent 15 minutes or so maneuvering the truck, and proceeded to unload gas grills and what-all with much clanking and chatter.
    I don't mind late arrivals as long as they are trying to be quiet, don't have music blaring (the memorable one was listening to the entire album of Breakfast in America in a pouring rainstorm - DH identified that one, I don't know whether that is the song or album title), aren't slamming doors and setting off car alarms. Being aware of where your headlights are hitting is another after-dark step. In a couple of weeks, DH will be joining me at Grand Canyon and his flight arrives in late evening. I hope to be able to park the TT so that we can pull in behind it, instead of backing in at the front, since we'll be getting back to camp about 11 p.m.

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I have set up past 8:30 way more then I would like. I can't get out of my office before 6 pm then drive home pick up the crew and back on the road again. Hit an insane amout of traffic compliments of living in the city and finally arrive after 8 or 8:30. If I'm goƮng to be past 9 I check in with the office before 7:30 to see if it will be ok. Once my four hour drive became an eight hour drive due to traffic, accidents, road closures, just serious bad luck all around. That time I pulled into a motel until morning and continued on my way. If I'm going to be later than 9;40 I will find a place to crash for the night. Only once did I pull into a campground at 10 pm. However I only had a small tent. I didn't bother putting stakes in just popped it up threw my sleeping bag in went to sleep. In the morning I set up fully.

9. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

Depending on the campground, late check ins could be the norm. At Shenandoah NP, there were people setting up after we went to bed bed at 11pm.

Just try and be quite and keep your vehicle lights to a minimum and you should be ok.

10. Txbum

Txbum Pop up, Pop Top, Chill....Ahhhh

We got into a park this weekend about o..dark thirty...the neighbors said hi and let us set up ...When set up was complete..they came over and said..man that was quick and hardly any noise. I just smiled. We made introductions and had a few drinks...the next day visited more. They had a water heater issue...I made it work like new. Man were they happy. Other campers got wind of that and here they came. I repaired bikes, lanterns, water heater, electrical problems. It was a good weekend. [:D]

11. elkmontb10

elkmontb10 Member

I'm with Customer. When it's Quite Time, it's Quite Time. If you are running close to that time set up just the necessities and do the rest in the morning. Personally, if quite time is 11, I wouldn't setup past 10.

12. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

If you are doing everything you can to keep noise at a minimum then you are fine. The only way would be is if you didn't already have a reservation or the campground specifically closes and it's too late to get on it for either case.

If you stop for the night you still have to drive in the next morning and set up. You'll lose half a day of your trip.

I'd rather have the guy setting up quietly as a disturbance than a group that has 20 guests being loud all night.

Be as courteous as possible but don't let the thought of {possibly} upsetting somebody you don't know and won't see again take time away from your vacation.

13. whitecastleman

whitecastleman Member

txbum- I want to camp next to you next time!

14. RugerRedhawk

RugerRedhawk Member

Yup just be quiet when quiet time starts. If it's dark we just level, pop up, and slide out then call it good. Set up the awning and tables and stuff in the morning.

15. Txbum

Txbum Pop up, Pop Top, Chill....Ahhhh

whitecastleman, for sure you can! That's what some in our Texas Puppers group say. I usually bring it with us, tools, parts, extra this, that. loaner coffee pots. [LOL]

16. mred

mred 2008 Fleetwood Avalon, 2001 f350

Just be quite. People will understand, its traffic,kids, work, they'll get it. And if they don't its on them. Be respectful, quite, and use little light. Then in the morning cook extra bacon. Everyone loves bacon....

17. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

I've done the 2:00 AM setup more than once, our neighbors never heard us. I don't think I'd do it with our current camper since the winch makes noise that I can't stop, but our previous camper had an old school arm buster that was completely silent when the ratcheting pawl was disengaged. We only lifted and set up bunks, everything else waited untill morning.

18. Kettlebelle

Kettlebelle Member

We have to arrive late Friday evening almost every trip. I have called the campground (NYS parks) ahead to ask what to do, and have always been told to go ahead and set up and make sure to check in at the front booth by 9 a.m. the next day.

19. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

I would avoid arriving any later than 7 PM. BUT, there are some people who have no limits. I was at Big Bend National Park in May and was astonished at the rudeness of some campers. There were big noisy diesels pulling in at midnight and one came in at 3:15 AM. [:(] Thank goodness there weren't any open sites near me but I still had a hard time sleeping after being woken. These weren't Pop Up people, of course.

20. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

I am not going to minst words, I am completely against it.