Late check-in and set-up?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Furdy, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

How do I get furnace start up? How do I get the roof cranked up? Where do I put wheel chucks? Where do I plug?

2. westlake ace

westlake ace Member

I have been "that guy" once at 9:30 I felt bad pulling up in my 87 s10 with a camper shell the engine sounded like a skeleton and I had an electric air pump for the air bed. Then a modified diesel woke me up way after midnight. Nothing else is as bad in my opinion as something modified to be louder than necessary.

3. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

9:30 is late? On an average camping night that's about the time we're pulling out the s'mores supplies... and we have 2 young boys.

4. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Umm, we pulled into a CG once and had setup by 9:00 PM. By 9:15 I fell asleep with my clothes on!!

Only when I got up to go to the bathroom did I realize I was still in my clothes!!! That was well after midnight.

The DW and DS got a good laugh out of it though!!!!

5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I don't care what time people arrive and set up, as long as they are at least trying to be subtle about it.

But please, if you drive a diesel, shut that thing off asap. And if you are leaving at first light, please don't start the truck and let it run for an hour while you pack up ....

And keep the car door slamming to a minimum. If you have to keep accessing the tow vehicle repeatedly, just keep the doors open until you are done.

6. unclemark

unclemark Overland Park, KS

Listening to motors is the least-enjoyable part of camping, I suppose, unless it's your own $40,000 truck making all the noise. Then it must sound like a choir of angels.

7. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

[LOL] [LOL] Our DS has a diesel and he does think it's the best sounding thing out there!!! But thank goodness the truck does not go camping with us!!!

8. tfischer

Heh. Was looking at some camping stuff on Craigslist and ran across a $250K Winnebago. And that was the used price. $40K is for the "do you feel like a second class citizen in a pop-up" thread lol

9. Orchid

Totally agree! [LOL] I don't like hearing any engines, but diesel owners (no offense intended to anyone) seem to like to hear their trucks running more than owners of gas engine trucks.

I don't know if they run cold or need warming up or what, but I do know I hate hearing them in a campground. Lots of older people who travel tend to own them. The same people who get up at, or even before, first light and move on. I can't count the number of times we have been woken up by diesel engines running WAY before they actually pulled out.

I understand hearing for a couple of minutes, and then leaving. But often owners will start them and let them run for extended periods. [:(!]

10. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING

BANG!

11. Orchid

[LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

This is one I think should be on the rules list they hand out upon check-in. Sometimes it goes on all day and night even while people are not coming and going.

12. Chef Ron

Chef Ron Member

LOL - I am sorta that guy... but it can be done quietly. Dings only happen if keys are in the ignition (no need for that) and unless you drive one of those 70's sedans you can push the doors closed. I close the door as far as it will go, then give it a shove to completely close.

I 'schedule' to be at the site 1 hour before dark, but someone may blow a tire or bearing and will get there late even after best intentions. I am more worried about how the neighbor acts the rest of the weekend, if they are noisy all the time they obviously did not care about their late arrival. Some people are just selfish and inconsiderate, the vast majority of campers are not.

13. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

14. Orchid

True about the keys. I don't know why people can't just sit them in the console, or their pocket.

The way you described closing the doors is exactly what we do, even during the day. I've taught my kids the "push close" method since they were little. Doors never get slammed at our site. I always keep the switch off so the interior lights stay off, that way even if a door is shut all the way, it won't run down the battery.

15. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We try to arrive before supper time. Even with the TT, backing in and setting up in the dark is not fun. I had to do it a couple of times on my first trip with the TT, when weather and road construction (& the slower progress pulling the TT) delayed my arrival.
    What drives me crazy with the NTU we've had since the end of February is automatic headlights. There are DRLs, auto-on/off headlights (which have running lights that the DRLs do not have), and blinky ones if we use the remote to unlock or lock the doors. As far as I can determine, through a number of searches and sources, there is no way, short of reprogramming the system (not even sure that's possible for us), to prevent the headlights coming one when the system determines they should. We can turn off auto-lights, but it resets if the truck is turned off. We've had about 50/50 for campsites this year, where the headlights may hit another campsite and bother people. I've actually considered making curtains for the headlights, to put on them while we're parked in a campsite. (I haven't actually figures out how to make them so they'd stay in place but not be a pain to keep putting on and taking off.)

16. tfischer

Not sure if it works on your vehicle, but often you can set the parking brake one click and it will turn off automatic headlights and DRLs. One click isn't enough to actually apply the brakes so you can even drive like that.

17. Orchid

I'm glad you mentioned this. I've never had a vehicle like this. Now I will much more forgiving of others' headlight situation. [:D]

18. tfischer

We'll be driving a little over 2 hours tomorrow night, leaving around 5pm. "Sunset" is 7pm, so it's unclear how much daylight we'll have setting up. I'm not fond of setting up in the dark but sometimes you do what you have to. At least it won't be unreasonably late unless something goes terribly wrong on the drive down. Although I'm often shocked how early people go to bed in the fall when it starts to get dark early. We're usually out at the campfire after midnight lol.

19. Orchid

Me too! I'm a night person anyway, but even more so when I'm camping. I love hanging out by the campfire. My DH is early to bed, early to rise so I usually end up by myself. [:!]

Even in the summer, I have looked around the campground and been disappointed to see nobody but me awake at 10:00. Sitting around the campfire is one of my favorite parts of camping. Also, it means that all these people are going to be up at the crack of dawn making all kinds of racket. [LOL]

20. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@tfischer
    As far as we can determine, the parking brake doesn't prevent the lights coming on - we actually use the parking brake. The lights pop on when we unlock the truck, with either fob or key, and with door opening.

We're usually in the early to bed group, but try to be quiet in the morning. [DH is often up before dawn, or soon after, to get a good start on hiking.] Bedtime at home is usually about 9:30, we sometimes barely manage to stay up until 9 while camping, especially if it's dark and/or cold.
    We've never had a wood campfire. If I use the propane one, it's early in the evening, if it's chilly, or sometimes during the day, when it's cold or wet while I'm in camp. One great thing about the Little Red Campfire that we have is it cam be turned on and off as we want to use it. [First great thing about it is no smoke.]