Late check-in and set-up?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Furdy, Sep 8, 2015.

1. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

When we had the pup we avoided late check-in as with young kids nothing good happens.
    Now we do a lot of late nights and we are ready. We scout the area with flash lights.the wife and me have our walkie talkies ready .we backup and have the site up in 10 minutes .
    Once backed in as I unhitch she will put the stabilizers down with this impact wrench.as I finish she I'll plug in as I hookup the water. Then hit the slide button. We are ready .

Sent from my XT1650

2. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

LOL try as I might, I can't wrap my head around morning people. :)

3. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

I absolute hate one think about my current dog.last one will sleep from 8.30pm to 9am in the crate. The new puppy is up at 6.30 am. Hopefully she grows into sleeping atleast till 8.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

At home our dogs are up and ready to go around 6-6:30 am, when camping sometimes it is 9 am before they want out and breakfast..

5. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

If your lights are driven by lack of light aim a flashlight to the sensor, the sensor will be fooled into thinking is daylight.
    I had my toyota dealer turn off the audible alarm on/off when locking the truck, I also told him just to use the side markers for confirmation. I did that with camping on mind, the wife murano do all those noises and it drives me nuts. The blazer you can arm/disarm and depending on the amount of clicks you do the audible alarm will not sound.

Talk to your dealer, most of these features could be programmable by them. In my case, I had them do that before buying the truck so they will not take advantage of me and rip me off. Also, there are a number of other ways to do what the dealer do with aftermarket programmers, it might cost you money too but at least you will keep the ability to make changes, for the toyota I think it was around $200 to get the hardware and software for some of this stuff. There were other more expensive system as well..

Good luck.

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I've thought about using a bright flashlight to fool the sensor. We have it programmed so it doesn't usually beep. If we lock it with the key or the fob, no beep; if the fob is double-tapped it does beep, as a confirmation of locking.
    For on the road, I prefer to keep my headlights on, so there are running lights on. The TT. Yesterday, I just turned the headlights on, so it didn't keep switching on and off as the light changed. Works while driving.
    We did talk to the dealer, but may try later, in case enough complaints elicit a fix.

7. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

I took the easier route. We lock and unlock the tundra with the keys old school. Once you into the habit you never think twice .i have a mild lift kit and hid on my tundra. So it can flash so hard and bright that it was a mess for even us .

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

8. kitphantom

We do use just the keys, at least most of the time. One keyhole, so if I'm approaching the truck from the passenger side, I now default to the fob. I never even had a remote for the previous TV. However, the lights still turn on for a bit of time, even if just the key is used. Obviously, the persons who designed this set up are probably not campers! If I had to make a choice, I think the horn beep is more obnoxious. On more than one occasion, I've been startled as someone locks a vehicle as I walk by, a couple of feet from that horn.

9. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

on the murano I just lock the door by hand to avoid chirps and lights.

10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I do the same... use the remote to unlock the truck in the morning and manually lock the truck at night, if we are around the site the truck is unlocked..

11. Chef Ron

Chef Ron Member

Well... after posting I was the guy that came in the dark. A very unfortunate circumstances where a terrible accident closed the highway in both directions for the entire day, and we were delayed over 2 hours in a detour. This is exactly why I understand when people do come late. We set up minimally and I apologized to the neighbors the next day.

I apologized as soon as I walked into the office to sign in. The camp staff knew folks that died in that accident, it is important to be very respectful about these situations.

RIP and condolences to the friends and family of the victims.

12. Doctorphate

Doctorphate Member

I've setup late more times than I can count, most of the time it was back country camping but in provincial or national parks it happens too. I just setup as quietly as possible in the most minimal fashion that'll allow me to sleep and possibly have dinner if that hasn't happened yet.

We're usually in bed by 9 or 10pm anyway. If we see we wont be there until after 9pm we just grab drivethrough and eat while we drive.

13. Chef Ron

Chef Ron Member

We buy salads and a french bread at Panera (and about a dozen of those tiny cups of butter) ... that bread toasted on a fire using one of those long forks, is a great way to get a quick dinner in when cooking is not an option.

14. Doctorphate

Doctorphate Member

Thats a good idea, but generally if I show up after 9pm I don't even start a fire. I just pass out. We're old people(on the inside, late 20s in reality) and go to bed around 9pm normally so beyond that we start falling asleep. lol [SNZ]

15. Lloyd B

Lloyd B Active Member

We always try to arrive before dark, but sometimes it is just not possible, we try to be as quite as possible and not blind anyone with the lights. We don't put the awning out and pound in the stakes at night, but wait until morning. We workamped for 2 summers at a campground in Empire, MI. They locked the drive in gate at midnight, if campers got back after that they had to park vehicles in the lot and walk in. 911 dispatchers called us when they got a call so we could open the gate and guide the emergency vehicle to the site number. It seemed to work well. The door lock/horn blowing is also one of my pet peeves, we once had camp neighbors that seemed to blow the horn at least once an hour day and night, I'm hard of hearing and it even drove me crazy.

16. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

I actually do this all the time, not just at the campground. Unlock with the remote, and lock using the lock button on the door. I'll bet there a large majority of drivers who don't even realize that there is a lock button on their door.

17. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

We routinely are setting up late. I generally don't get off work till 7, and many times I'll bring the camper to work and the DW meets me there.
    Most places are an hour or two away so we have had a lot of dark, quiet set up experience. We do everything possible to keep the noise to a minimum. Even though we still are mostly there before quiet time actually starts, We will wait till morning to do the majority of the outside set up, unload the truck and such. Have on a few occasions, pulled up, drop the back bunk and crawl in and crashed.
    If you get in late for whatever reason, simple common sense and a little courtesy will go along way. Apologize to your new neighbors in the morning and maybe make some new camping friends.

18. kitphantom

I had to retrain myself not to use the lock button on the door in our Colorado when parking it. It sets the alarm or some such; that specific piece of information is now in the inactive file, I just remember not to use the button to lock the truck when leaving it. To manually lock, we just use the key in the door. On our 4Runner, I've never had a remote, so I was used to locking it with the door button, then unlocking it with the key.
    We've discovered that the panic alarm on the Colorado is too easy to set off, DH did so yesterday, with the key fob in his pocket, as he was working on getting things packed up in camp. It took us a second to realize that our vehicle was the annoying one. I've ordered some skins for the remotes, one reason is to hope it makes it less easy to hit the panic button accidentally.

I just barely managed to arrive at Grand Canyon and get set up before dark - I don't like these short days! We tried to be as quiet as possible when we arrived back at camp close to midnight the next day, after DH arrived on train. We were thankful that our site faced trees and no other sites, so had no one in the beams of the headlights when we backed in.

19. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

That reminds me:
    Note to self, DO NOT hit the little red button on the remote when trying to lock the car for the night. For some reason you panic yourself and cannot find that little red button on the remote to shut it off [:!] [;)]

20. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo New Member

I fail to understand this problem. Every vehicle I have owned had a setting on the light switch that turns on taillights and low wattage lights on the front. For as long as I remember I have put the lights in that position when going in out of any driveway until the lights would shine down the street, not somebody's house, tent, or RV. I think the book even calls them "Parking Lights"...