Late check-in and set-up?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Furdy, Sep 8, 2015.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We can turn the lights off automatic and our parking lights on, but haven't experimented with what happens when we turn the vehicle off, nor with all of the combinations of light settings, key or fob use etc. If the lights are turned off "auto" they reset to auto the next time the vehicle is used. It is also one of the vehicles that has the headlights on for a brief time after locking, to allow entrance into a house.
    This Colorado is a vehicle where I doubt the designers thought about things such as wanting to enter a campground with low lights. Some things are turned on just by opening the driver's door, whether or not the truck is locked, or if a key or the fob is used to unlock it. A few weird things, but the rest of the truck works well for us.

2. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

1999 chevy blazer have day lights that you cant turn off. The only way to turn them off is to shut the car, step in the emergency brake but just a couple of clicks, then you can crank the car and the light will be off and you can drive it that way since the emergency brake is not really doing anything.

3. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Welcome to the future, where the car makes the decisions, not you. [LOL]

I don't personally have the headlight problem in my van, but both my mom's car and one of my daughter's cars are like that. They won't let themselves be turned off while the car is running. Just now reading about the emergency brake work around, I'll fill them in. Maybe that will work. Neither of them tow, but headlights have been a problem in other situations where they would have preferred just parking lights.

My van is 15 years old and still overrides me in many different aspects. Once, I went into a convenience store and left the windows down. The van locked itself. I tried the door handle to get in, not realizing it was now locked, and the alarm went off.

I started the van, and could not get the alarm to stop. Thankfully, a lady who had owned an Odyssey van came out of the store and showed me how to turn the alarm off. I had planned to just drive home like that. She told me that if I had, the battery would have drained, as it is programmed to do while the alarm is activated.

These cars and their bad habits these days! [LOL]

4. Ryanm

Ryanm Member

Disabling DRLs is one of the first things I do to a car. There's a perfectly good headlight switch, thank you very much.

5. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Not to be argumentative but I doubt that is correct, the car MIGHT shut down and lock requiring a tow visit to the dealer.