Late night etiquette

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by kypopup, Jul 24, 2013.

1. kypopup

kypopup New Member

Ok so while on a camping trip right now, the neighbors across the street in another PUP are nice an all but good Lord, they fire up their big ole loud diesel truck constantly late at night, I guess to make bath house runs, by which is not more than a 3 minute walk down the street, but it's like every 30 minutes they fire it up and blind you with their brights on, then they constantly do a "door lock check" and honk the horn several times. I don't know if I'm off my soap box but it's just irritating to be right across the road from someone who has more interest in playing with their loud truck then camping. Anyone else experience this?

2. rambus

rambus Member

I have experienced something like what you have going on. I had a conversation with the guy the next day and the situation did get a lot better. Some times people just don't realize that what they are doing may be disturbing someone else.

3. mercman

mercman Go Ahead, Be That Happy Camper!

Second on the above advice - I would wait till morning so cooler heads avail.
    Some people have no concept...

4. blackbear

blackbear We want to do this for a living !!!

Its truly amazing how some people think that everyone goes to bed with eye shades and ear plugs in place. Hope you never experience that again [SNZ]

5. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

There is always one in the bunch, right? From my experience, it boils down to that most people just don't realize they are disturbing their neighbors in that way. [{:)] Camping 101. Try to do your best not to disturb your neighbors after quite hour.

Campit

6. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

I would approach at night by way of the CG Host.

7. haroldpe

haroldpe Campin' Engineer

We've always thought they are proud of their diesels, in case you missed it the other 10 times during the daytime.

8. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

We had a dog who was absolutely in love with deisel trucks, he would get just totally excited when he heard one. He especially loved it when the garbageman would pull up to our driveway. It got to the point where when the garbageman came to pick up our trash, he would blow his horn to call Kaiser.

We camped once with a family that had a deisel truck, and yeah, the husband started it at all times of the day/night, for what purpose, I don't know.

9. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sure your dog liked the truck or the food smells it brings? :)

10. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

He loved any desiel truck. I think maybe his breeder may have had one.

11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

We pulled into one campground a few years ago way past midnight, since we had been to the park two previous times and new where everything was, we stopped and filled the water tank then headed to our site, which just happened to be a pull thru, so no excessive noise having to back up and locate everything (pad, fire pit, picnic tables, power post etc.) . we were in and set up enough for the night in about 20 minutes... Next morning I did the check in thing with the office and had more then one camper comment that they didn't even notice we had pulled in until they walked by in the morning... After breakfast we completed our setup...

12. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

It's amazing how many people have no concept that they are disturbing others. I don't know if it's because they don't think about it or don't care. I suspect that it's more of the they don't think about it. But I've mentioned similar things and the person that was making the noise said that they didn't realize that it was as loud as it was.

As for the truck, I notice that a lot of diesel drivers tend to just start their trucks up for some unknown reason. Personally I thing that many of them just like the rumble of a diesel engine. After all, it is kind of cool.

13. justcope01

justcope01 New Member

My favorite is when somebody is driving past and deliberately stops to shine their headlights into your campground for whatever reason...

14. woobie

woobie My PUP is newer than my Tow Vehicle

Well, all of you folks are right. "Boils down to." The folks who don't realize they are bothering other people, have never been bothered by others. Solution's: Bother them first!

Just Kidding. Wait till morning, invite him to cut fire wood with your chainsaw while his wife and kids are still sleeping. PROBLEM SOLVED.

15. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

People realize, they just don't care.

16. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

Sounds like a grade A donkey orifice. But I've seen similar, the continual "TV" tour always puzzles me. Many a trip my truck has stayed "off" once the trailer is in place until I hitch up again at the end of the stay. Seems stupid to fire a truck up to go to the bathroom, or to start it just to "hear the cool sound"

17. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

Bingo. Same mentality found with those who get drunk and scream, hoot and holler all night, blast loud (crappy) music, idle diesel truck for no reason for extended periods, "lock confirm honk" car all the time, let dogs/kids run unattended, cut through your site (my favorite: under my canopy while we are sitting there!)

I will state I don't care what others think about me, but I do believe common courtesy needs extended at all times.

18. tombiasi

I would add the word "Some" to the front of that. I truly believe some people don't have a clue what their actions are doing to others then when confronted they say, "Oh,sorry."

19. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

I say realize because they have no excuse.

Sorry, I deal with their I am sorry attitudes a lot at work, and have learned to ignore them as the smoke screens for selfish hearts. They know and DO NOT care, it is as simple as that.. I no longer give the benefit of the doubt. Call me jaded.

20. tombiasi

Ok jaded,
    So you cannot believe that some people are just clueless?