laurel hill DOG

Discussion in 'Dutch Oven Cooking' started by vagov, May 29, 2019.

1. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

we will be hosting a Dutch Oven gathering Saturday, June 13 2020 at Laurel Hill state park in PA. If you enjoy cooking in dutch ovens, or simply want to learn how consider joining us. Campground starts booking 11 months out, so July 13 is the target date. Mark your calendars and come join us for good fun, good food, and good fellowship!

Garrity likes this.
  2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I may have to try to make this one.

3. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

sure hope so !

4. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Might be tough but thanks. Just returned from L.H. We do every Memorial day weekend and and the week / weekend after, and have been doing so for about 10 years. I doubt I'll be allowed to drag the trailer back up there two weeks after we get back from the holiday trip but if I can think of a way ya never know. Might have to just drive up for the day.

5. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Your always welcomed. John!

6. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

we will be cooking at both the willis and lakeview pavillion areas june 13th 2020 also booking sites in the campground for the weekend now hope to see you there !

Dusty road likes this.
  7. Dusty road

Dusty road Active Member

John, is there only 20 amp service at Laurel Hill?

8. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

The problem at Laurel Hill is the electric system was installed in the early 1980's, before 50 amp rigs with multiple AC's, convection ovens, etc.

A few years back on a crowded Memorial day weekend some folks had electronic items such as fridge elements, microwaves, etc burn up as the entire system was overloaded in areas. The DCNR's solution at the time was to show the sites as 20 amp despite in reality they're 30 amp with 30 amp receptacles. I guess that way they could say not their fault when someones equipment went poof. I think in the current brochure, they list them as 30 amp again. you were probably looking at the old brochure which can still be found online. Here is a link to the new one. http://www.docs.dcnr.pa.gov/cs/groups/public/documents/document/dcnr_003920.pdf

They have made a few improvements. The full hook up sites in the pet loop and a few sites near them have all new 50 amp electric installed 2-3 years ago. Also on the non pet side around the top loop some of those sites were upgraded to 50 amp about 5 years ago.

On the sites with the older wiring some have their own pedestal, some have pedestals where one is shared for two sites. Having a good EMS is a must on those sites with the older wiring, even more so on busy or holiday weekends with a high use. I can usually make do between my PI EMS and Hughes autoformer, but I have seen voltages below 100 and higher than 140 which tells me they also have neutral issues in some areas. We go there a lot so I have trial and error experience dealing with the electric system.

One thing that compounds it is on busy weekends you have the people in the 30' trailers, 36' 5ers, and massive toyhaulers who get on those older sites. Come hell or high water they're going to dogbone that 30 amp service into their 50 amp rig and attempt to fire up everything along with 3 1500 watt electric heaters, electric dryers, and who knows what else. I have seen the main breakers blow shutting down the entire loop more than once, including a bozo who attempted to rewire a 30 amp pedestal on a Friday evening trying to get 50 amps and somehow back-fed 240 volts into other peoples sites, burning out their fridge elements, TV's, radios, and microwaves.

Most of the older wired sites were fed from the shower houses. A general rule is if getting a 30 amp site the closer to the shower house the better. The issues tend to be at the ends of the runs which are away from those showerhouses, but that's not always the case 100% of the time.

You are dealing with the state. They put in 11 full hook up sites at a huge expense but did nothing to the vintage 1960's/early 70's shower houses, the substandard existing electric with known issues, etc.

All of that horsepoopage aside, its still an awesome place.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    Dusty road likes this.
  9. Dusty road

Dusty road Active Member

Thanks for advice and history lesson. I do have a pi ems. We went through something similar at Prince Gallitzin this July. It was 95 degrees and everybody was running everything to the max and blew a transformer outside of the Cg. Our ems shut us off about a minute before it all went dark.13 hours later Penelec got it back up for good but a good number of people packed up and left. Near a shower house it is, then.

10. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Ok. See you there. I hope.

11. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Gives me a good reason to buy a PI. 30amp hard wire ems. And OG is the perfect guy to help me cut holes in my new to me trailer plus tell my wife it’s worth every penny I spent on it!!!!

12. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Talked with Kim Peck. DCNR director. For laurel hill. She is giving us the Willis and Lakeview Pavillions. So we have our demo and Dog location. Secured.

Dusty road likes this.