Lazy Woman's Shelf Mod For a Tiny Trailer

Dunkles

Apr 5, 2011
I have a 1991 Coleman Newport which is pretty small on the interior, and I've wanted to do the shelf mod for a while. I was at Lowe's and was inspired by what I saw, so I whipped the shelf mod together with stock supplies - no cutting down of anything and it came together very quickly. I saw a 4-pack of 'chair tips' (look like crutch tips) and added those to the ends of the shower pole. They hold the unit very well against the roof. In addition, I used a Rubbermaid Homefree Series '2 add-on shelf' package for supplies; it contained 2 shelves and supports, so no hardware went to waste. I'm really pleased with the results!

Supplies:

179994_4392642412830_29509080_n.jpg

Finished product:

600975_4392645012895_1509511192_n.jpg

bondebond

Super Active Member
Aug 14, 2008
Nice...if you can keep it simple and straightforward, that's the way to do it. I like the near-tool-free approach.

Dunkles

Apr 5, 2011
Thanks for the feedback! [:D] Between this and my awning mod, DH is impressed with my mad mod skillz.

I think the cost came to about $66 total. The shower rods were expensive at Lowes, but I had my kids with me and didn't feel like making another stop!

mamabean5

Super Active Member
Oct 7, 2009
Just a heads up--- we did this mod too, and every time we used the couch as a bed, it came crashing down. Seems the extra weight on the bed was enough to cause the one pole to lose momentary contact with the ceiling. Our couch happens to be close to the counter where we have the shelving unit. Now, we're using the rod cups to help keep it in place and not wander. Review your camper layout, experiment to make sure you won't have the same unfortunate problem. It came down on my sleeping daughter once! [:O]

TNTtravelers

Apr 4, 2010
[XX(]
I did this mod last night...only thing I didn't account for is that the roof is slightly higher towards the center...so when I made the brackets even..the shelf is slightly uneven because of that. But it's close enough for me! (meaning the bubble is still not over the line on the level thingy!) I didn't have enough time to put the velcro up for the cups...something for the campground I guess!

shelmily

Super Active Member
Jun 7, 2012
Northeast Pennsylvania
mamabean5 said:
Just a heads up--- we did this mod too, and every time we used the couch as a bed, it came crashing down. Seems the extra weight on the bed was enough to cause the one pole to lose momentary contact with the ceiling. Our couch happens to be close to the counter where we have the shelving unit. Now, we're using the rod cups to help keep it in place and not wander. Review your camper layout, experiment to make sure you won't have the same unfortunate problem. It came down on my sleeping daughter once! [:O]

This has been discussed in several threads, but yes, the cups are almost a necessity. Several people have had the poles slip or come loose without them, myself included. It is cheap insurance, and I haven't had a problem since I installed them.