Lazy Woman's Shelf Mod For a Tiny Trailer

babar

Don't throw effort after foolishness
Jul 23, 2012
My galley set-up is very similar to yours, just on the opposite bunk end. I'm definitely going to run this idea thru the mill and see what I end up with!

Dunkles

Apr 5, 2011
shelmily said:
This has been discussed in several threads, but yes, the cups are almost a necessity. Several people have had the poles slip or come loose without them, myself included. It is cheap insurance, and I haven't had a problem since I installed them.

One thing I did differently was use the rubber crutch tips for the ends of my poles; I'm hoping that they provide enough 'grip' to hold the unit in place.

MIlover

Jul 31, 2012
I've been reviewing this mod thread because I LOVE that there is no drilling required!

I can't help but wonder though, do the pipe clamp straps actually stay in place well? They are simply wrapped/tightened around the shelf track and shower rods, right? Has anyone had problems with slippage of the track against the rod?

dksimon

UNITED WE STAND
Aug 13, 2010
Lewisburg TN
It looks good , I like allthe temp shelves excellent idea, please do a favor for me, being involved in safety most of my life in work and home, I notice that your shelf is in front of your EMERGENCY EXIT !!

I know a lot of you think that area is a joke but it could save someones life maybe your own!

Always keep EMERGENCY EXITS CLEAR even at home and your work area.

laurasands

Aug 19, 2010
To follow up on your post about the cups and the shelves falling down. I put up this type of shelving and have the cups but my shelving unit still comes crashing down. Fortunately it has only happened when no one was in the PUP. Any ideas on what I can do to secure?
Thanks

rslaback

Jul 21, 2012
I used a shower rod that isn't a true tension rod. Dollar General has shower rods that are friction fit but don't use springs. They are very much like a pole for your awning in that they pull out and then twist to lock. One of the ends screws out to provide final tension. I used these and placed them so that the expandable section is up. By doing this all the weight is actually on the noncompressable part of the pole. The top section of the pole carries no weight and simply has to stay extended and in the closet pole cup.

Wildwoodflower77

Jun 10, 2012
Finally built this last week, just in time for our trip out tomorrow. rslaback ^ we used the same type of rods but didn't think to check Dollar General for them. Can't wait to put it to good use and clear up all the crap that accumulates and make it much easier to access the things we use regularly.

IMAG1370.jpg

barbjmj

Love, love, love it! Quick questions though...the rods come with rubber tips. Why use the "crutch" tips too? and, what are the "cups" being referee to hear. Someone said they attach the cups with Velcro. I find Velcro isn't very sticky and in humidity doesn't stay in place very well. Thoughts?

Wildwoodflower77

Jun 10, 2012
The crutch tips (if loose enough around the poles to allow the pole to rise and fall should it need to) help hold the poles in place should the camper move and the poles lose contact with the roof, added security so it doesn't come crashing down. In our case, I walked in the house for a minute and when I came back out almost had a heart attack as my husband drilled into the ceiling. Instead of using crutch tips he bought these http://m.homedepot.com/p/Prime-Line-Closet-Pole-Sockets-1-3-8-in-Plastic-N-6568/202636660/ and drilled them in. I personally didn't want to drill but whatever, nothing I can do about it now plus we won't ever have to worry about velcro. [LOL] He only went far enough to go through the aluminum ceiling and into the foam core. I do like the look of pole sockets better than the crutch tips though. Not sure why exactly, maybe because it sort of looks like it may have come from the factory with them installed???? As far as cups, it seems people use that term for whatever they place on top of the pole to keep it from moving. Did all that make sense? Too much caffeine this morning. [LOL]

rslaback

Jul 21, 2012
I didn't use crutch tips either. I used closet pole cups. I used the full circle on the ceiling (rivet through the center and epoxy on the base) and the U cups on the bottom (opening facing out).

Wildwood, I inverted my rods compared to yours. The way you have it installed the joint of the rod is taking all the weight. If you flip the rods, the joint doesn't actually take any weight from the shelves.

Campit

EAT SLEEP CAMP
Sep 16, 2011
Great job! Not lazy at all! I made shelves similar to yours and I'm glad to have them everytime we camp. It give you so much storage space.

Campit

zabb3

Jan 25, 2008
Nice! Haven't see those. I have stackable shelves but they take up counter space. I'm looking for those.

Campit

EAT SLEEP CAMP
Sep 16, 2011
zabb3 said:
Nice! Haven't see those. I have stackable shelves but they take up counter space. I'm looking for those.

They are quite easy to make.

Campit

mamabean5

Super Active Member
Oct 7, 2009
laurasands said:
I put up this type of shelving and have the cups but my shelving unit still comes crashing down. Any ideas on what I can do to secure?

I use industrial quality velcro to secure the cups now and they have worked fine. For added insurance however, I also secured a zip tie from one end of the shelving unit to around my roof support. Figured if it was coming down, at least it wouldn't come crashing to the floor, or worse on my daughter sleeping on the bed on the other side. I felt a lot safer with that 'back up' in place.

MIPeaceDudeCamper

Jul 12, 2012
I like the idea of adding shelving but think I would miss the frantic moving of stuff from the counter to the bed end and back and forth every time I want to prepare a simple snack in the PUP. I kind of like the fact that heating up a pop-tart in the toaster oven for a hungry kid takes me 30 minutes because of all the 'essentials' I have to juggle. [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

Actually, I'm thinking I might enjoy camping more if I had some shelves.