Leaf blowers and satellite dishes

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Fastalkintn, Apr 24, 2015.

1. tjmama

tjmama Member

Hilarious thread! Last season was the first time we have camped in over 12 years. I grew up in campgrounds as my dad was a concessionaire for the forest service in the late 80's. So I was surprised to see the rakes campers used daily when I know back then no one cleaned their sites, I did. But a leaf blower would crack me up. I know we didn't see that one last year. Great uses though, I can see how they would come in handy, but I don't own one for my house so I don't think I will add one to my camping gear. [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

2. redneckgearhead

redneckgearhead New Member

Threads like these make me grateful of having a privately owned lake property to camp at. No leaf blowers, no one playing loud music, just good friends, cold beer and a big fire....

3. BIGTOM

BIGTOM Member

I use a battery powered leaf blower on every trip. Works great for cleaning mat in front of door and cleaning off ends before folding camper. No noise to speak of.

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

As long as I don't have to listen to someone's TV (it's happened, loud enough across the campground to identify what they were listening to) or trip over the cable (also happened, when someone dug a groove across the campground road to better place the satellite - I don't know why the hosts didn't make them fix it), if they want to haul a satellite, not my issue.
    I hate the sound of leaf blowers, but have never seen them in a campground. I find it rather amusing in town - landscapers blow leaves, etc. into the streets, city workers blow debris back off the streets. Seems like a good way to guarantee continued work.
    I can't think of a reason for us to take one camping, we don't landscape our sites. On occasion, we'll kick a loose rock or move a fallen branch out of the way, otherwise the site stays pretty much as we find it. We do see campground hosts rake fire pits and gravel while sites are empty.

5. kudzu

kudzu Active Member

Using an electric blower to clean things off of canvas or awnings before packing up seems appropriate. It didn't occur to me that some of the leaf blowers people are referring to might be gas powered. That's something I would complain about. I try to stay in "no generators" campgrounds & would lump a gas powered blower into the same category of noise. The electric models aren't objectionably loud, especially if used only briefly. However, I can't guaranty I wouldn't laugh or at least chuckle softly if I saw someone blowing the leaves away from their campsite in one of our wooded campgrounds. [?:~{] [LOL]

6. Dutch Oven Steve

Dutch Oven Steve New Member

When we go Camping, we are trying to get away from the daily grind, the city, the traffic, and all the noise and enjoy the beauty of nature. If not I could save myself a bunch of money and just stay home. When we go, the tech stays home. The battery in our PUP only powers the overhead light; they didn't see a need for it to power anything else in 1983 when they built it and I really can't see the use for anything else today!

As far as a television goes, the news anymore isn't factual it's all about ratings, and the weather forecast (at least here in Colorado) is wrong more than it is right.

Maybe I'm just getting old! I've been in Information Technologies most of my life but when I took our Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts out camping, we definitely didn't take electronics along! What's wrong with a good book if it's raining, or playing a game or imagine this one...talking! Face to face not facebook to facebook!

A little music played by the campfire (with a guitar, harmonica, kazoo or mouth harp even!) or a good ghost story! We as a species have survived for centuries without a cellphone, television or a leaf blower! Amazing but true!

To each his own, but I still go Camping in my PUP.

7. redneckgearhead

redneckgearhead New Member

Maybe in just crazy, but I use a broom to sweep off my outdoor rug....

8. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I have had two campers with TV antennas. Never used them, don't bring the TV camping! I don't get it with the sat dishes either. But to each their own.

9. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Why is a book so much better than a TV. Why is someone who sits in the camper in the rain reading a book so much better than the guy watching TV. If you are really into the book then you are not paying much attention to nature. People have an attitude that they are better than everyone because they like their good book and don't watch evil TV. I have worked with many people who are so proud that they don't have a TV in their house. They would always make a point of telling you that they don't own or watch TV. Funny thing is that I could guess who doesn't have a TV at home because they are such odd balls and social misfits.

10. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I used to own an electric blower and now I own a gas one. I'd much rather listen to the gas one, which sounds like an engine, than the horrible "shop vac on steroids" whine of the electric.

I would bring neither camping, but wouldn't object if others did AND they were using them while most people were awake, and not using them for more than a few minutes.

11. JeffC

JeffC New Member

Your first sentence was a question? I'll assume so and attempt to answer it. Why is a book better than a movie? It's because your mind's eye always sees things better than the singular vision based on someone else's interpretation and time constraint (a movie). Reading a book uses your mind and imagination. Watching TV is 60% program and 40% ingesting commercials. "Screen time" changes children's brain function for the worse. Reading is associated with success. You can learn to do anything if you read well. TV gives you someone else's vision, no brain needed. It's sad to me that you don't know why reading is such a good thing.
    Sincerely,
    Odd Ball and Social Misfit

12. 300Z

300Z Member

Interesting. I have met a lot of people in my life and it is interesting those that are successful, have many outside interests away from work, build cars, furniture and toys in their shops all have one thing in common. They do not watch TV. I guess they are just odd. Most really smart people are a little odd because they are not like the normal mush brains.

13. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

There is increasing evidence that children's minds are literally developing and not developing differently due to their excessive and early exposure to video, screens, and overly "facilitated" lives. Kids have less and less ability to think resourcefully, problem solve, and engage in creative play. They depend on the screen for the imagery and on computers to do the "thinking." Kim and I see it big time as educators for nearly thirty years. Our classrooms require more and more facilitation and engagement strategies. It's harder and harder to demand rigor, for me teaching middle school and Kim teaching college. The degradation of individual resourcefulness and intellectual integrity is staggering and, honestly, frightening.

14. tfischer

Sorry, meant to say would NOT bring...

15. tfischer

I don't understand why everyone gets so judgmental in these threads. I watch very little TV at home much less camping, but I do bring my iPhone everywhere and enjoy keeping up on things while were camping, and some here would suggest that's worse than TV. Sometimes being able to answer a quick work email is the difference between being able to get away with the family for an extended weekend vs. having to stay back "just in case something happens".

We have many different ages and life experiences here, much less likes and dislikes.

16. ktharmon1

ktharmon1 New Member

Our first camping trip was with two families to Cape Cod. We were all tenting and had a long drive up so we went to bed relatively early. We were all settling into our tents when all of a sudden we heard a whirling sound....I texted a friend 2 tents over and said "Is he vacumming?!?!?!!?" To which she replied "I believe so!". So the next morning, we let our friend's husband have it for bringing a vacuum on the camping trip. LOL! He is very OCD and hates sand/dirt (and glitter).

17. JeffC

JeffC New Member

Texted two tents down...LOL!

18. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

Leaf blower? Seriously?? There are brooms for a reason. That's crazy to me.

I get the dish. Me personally no thanks. I wouldn't want the setup headache. We do take our iPads /phones etc with us. We get ideas from them, read, learn how to fix/make something. When it's just the wife and I we will some times pull up our dish anywhere account and watch some tv at he end of the night. My aunt and uncle have a family that is always at their house. They take the camper out and hide on weekends. Sit inside watch nascar and movies just to get the heck away. Don't blame them. Make me giggle though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. dougfam

dougfam Member

Times are changing whether people realize/like it or not. People work and learn differently today than what they did just 10 years ago. When I was in college I took a couple of correspondence classes. I read a text book, answered questions and then took a test for college credit. Now they offer online classes that involve discussion forums, video chats with the professor, etc... What sounds better to y'all?

My wife and I are both high school teachers, and we see the influence technology has on students. Yes, in some cases it’s bad, but overall the student’s are very successful and can do so much more than what we could at their age. We both utilize a teaching strategy called "flipping the classroom." "Flipping" is when the teacher creates some sort of video, the students watch the video for home work and then do the practice questions (typical homework) at school. For the most part more students are successful with this than traditional lessons.

My wife and I both love reading as well, for the last two years our reading has been done on a tablet/kindle. Even our county libraries over digital books to borrow now. My son, who is 6 has a kindle too, and believe it or not he can read better than what I could at his age. He is also no less imaginative than I was.

Technology is a good thingy, but like everything it needs to be in moderation. If one needs to give it ALL up on a weekend camping trip, then I guess they use it too much throughout the week.

20. brittthomas

brittthomas New Member

Good post.