Leak at Anode

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by ChewyTKE609, Jul 10, 2019.

1. ChewyTKE609

ChewyTKE609 New Member

Hi all,

I just recently de-winterized our 2008 Palomino Yearling 4102. At the end of last season I removed the anode rod and then bought a new one as we had the rotten egg smell coming from our hot water.

Once I had the system flushed out and filled it up to sanitize, I noticed that there was a leak where the anode rod was screwed in. I cannot figure out how to stop the leak. I've unseated and re-seated the anode, I've removed and applied teflon tape to the threads several times, and I've tried keeping the anode looser and tightening it.

Lastly, I tried cleaning the tank threads off with a round wire brush. I was really hoping that would solve it, but not luck.

Anyone have any other ideas?

2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

You have tried everything I would have. Following to see what others suggest.

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Wow, not good. Only thing i would make sure is that the tape is going the right way. Other then that, you could try liquid teflon on top of the tape. After that im out of ideas.

4. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Yes, pipe dope on top of the teflon tape. When you have the rod out again, clean everything really good on the tank fitting and look closely for a crack in the fitting. Sometimes those rods get wound in so tight things could split.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Just throwing this out there. Are you sure you got the same rod you had in there. My dad had the same issue on his. Visually the rods looked about the same, but the new one he bought was a different model number than his old one and didn't fit quite the same even though it looked the same. So he had some leakage. He put the old one back in and no leak. When he bought the model number refrenced in his manual it fit fine and no leak. No idea what the difference was between the two because visually it looked the same, but it doesn't take much to cause a leak.

nineoaks2004 likes this.
  6. ChewyTKE609

ChewyTKE609 New Member

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try.

7. ChewyTKE609

ChewyTKE609 New Member

Good point. I will check to make sure everything is the same. I still have the old one. I suppose I could put the old one back in and see if it leaks. Thanks.