Leak in slide out trunk

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by D.Edward, Sep 17, 2019.

1. D.Edward

D.Edward New Member

Let me preface by saying I have no idea what 'category' to post my question, so I'm taking a shot at this category. I had placed it in the floor repair category but got no bites so hopefully someone will see it here. I'm just curious for any input/opinion.

I opened up my 2 year old Rockwood 2317G this past weekend, only to find water inside the slide-out trunk, in the bottom of the trunk area, and also inside the popup on the floor outside the bedslide. Obviously the water had seeped inside the popup from the trunk floor. It wasn't a whole lot (I'd say about a cup or so all told?) I checked all the seals (perfect), etc - I cannot for the life of me find anywhere that water could have come in.

We did have a pouring rain two weeks ago; it is no exaggeration that the storm was so bad that the rain was being driven sideways into the house (and into the closed up popup in the driveway). Though I keep an RV cover on the popup while it's closed and stored in the driveway, my cover is breathable so I know of course rain can get in. It is just still so bewildering as to how this rather new popup had a leak into an area which looks as though it should be leak proof.

I guess my question is, has anyone else who's popup has a trunk had a similar problem? Or any ideas on how it leaked even though the seals (around both trunk doors, as well as the trunk's lid) looks perfect?

Thanks,
    Dan Edward

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Are you sure its coming from the floor?? An old trick is to tape newspaper all along the top of the place were you think it is leaking..... but not to the floor. If the newspaper gets wet the leak is up high not the floor. Also check that any lights are well sealed to the body.

3. D.Edward

D.Edward New Member

Not sure at all where it's coming from. I believe it is coming in from the top of the trunk area, only due to the fact that water was INSIDE the plastic slide-out trunk itself, as well as on the floor underneath the trunk and then must have seeped through the wall from the trunk onto the PUP floor on the other side. I'm thinking somehow the black rubber seal at the top of the trunk door on the left side (that's where the water was) must have been breached for the water to have gotten INSIDE the trunk and also underneath it. Weird that the rubber seal looks just fine, and the PUP is not very old so I can't imagine it has degraded already. I keep the PUP stored inside during the winter as well.

I don't have a pic of my PUP, but found one on the web to show what I'm talking about - you can see the door to the slide out trunk at the far right. I suppose it could have come through the light, though the trunk itself is right up to the top of that rubber seal on the door (not much clearance for it to slide out). The lid on top of the trunk is fine - no cracks and the way it's designed there's no way water could get through from the outside.

upload_2019-9-18_9-59-40.png

Anyway, I will try your newspaper trick - very good idea. And I'll check the lights. Thanks for taking the time to think about my problem and answer - I really appreciate it.