leakage/water beading issue

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by northernmum, Aug 17, 2010.

1. northernmum

northernmum just starting out!

The family and I just got home from a week's trip in the PUP. We had more rain than we hoped for, including a massive storm last night.

Problem is, we had water beading on the inside of the PUP on one of the bunks ends...on *my* side, no less. [}:)] In any case, we had water beading there twice in the rain, last night's was just much more in volume as there was a LOT of rain.

My questions are:
    - the wet spot where the beading happened seemed to be a contact issue from outside (I hope that makes sense) The edging on the canvas on the outside kind of drained on to that spot. I extended the bar that holds up the bunk end to help reduce some of the contact, but it kind of had mixed results. Should I add more slack or tighten it up? Does that make sense, or should I explain more?

- now we're airing out the PUP at home, but I'm hoping to prevent any mold/mildew. Should I clean that spot, or just let it air dry?

- is any beading of water on the inside of the PUP to be expected in a torrential downpour? The rain we had last night was seriously nuts, thunder, lightening and rain so heavy we couldn't see the RV across the "road" at the campsite clearly. Is it totally unreasonable to expect it to be 100% dry indoors?

I'm still very new to this whole PUP ownership thing, so I just don't know.

2. Twisty

Twisty New Member

Considering the amount of rain I think the Pup held up well. Condensation is usually an issue if the weather is humid. I would open it up and leave it open whether or not the rain continues. You could bring all the beds and cushions into the house or do as I do, prop them all up to allow circulation. The sooner it is dry the better. Put a fan or two in there if you have 'em.
    Wicking from contact is kind of normal. I just treated mine with Formula 303. I hope it works well. It is pretty spendy stuff. It may help with wicking - I don't know...
    I install my poles snugly - when I put the first one in, it tends to pull the top toward that end, then it straightens up with the second.
    If there is any water in corners or along edges, such as the bed slides, I would dry them with a towel.
    Just trying to help

3. northernmum

northernmum just starting out!

I've got the wet spots out in the sun right now, and the bunk end base where it got the most wet is in direct sun. I hope that works.

SO glad we were home last night - it got really cold here, nearly freezing. I don't like having to use heat at home or the PUP so early in the season!

4. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

If you don't have a manual for your camper....http://www.colemantrailers.com/uploads/129601235055955.pdf