Leaks in the canvas!

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by Blue411, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Blue411

Blue411 New Member

I want to cry. We did the garden hose test on the pop up canvas, and it failed miserably. Water was dripping from multiple spots on the canvas seams over the bunk. That was with a fairly light to medium Hose spray. I cannot imagine being in an actual downpour out in the woods. I just sprayed one side of the bunk end. I am afraid to do the rest because I’m pretty sure all of the top seams are compromised. Ugh! Please please tell me there is a fix for this! The old owner had aquatic tape along the seams and I know why now. She had peeled it off before she sold us the camper. What can I do? We’ve invested so much time and money into this reno already.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Posr pictures of the tenting. Can you see holes through it? Get some seam seal and waterproofing and see what that does. If it has holes or is brittle, it may be beyond sealing.

craiglepaige and Rik Peery like this.
  3. Blue411

Blue411 New Member

Its the threading in the seams. I can see the thread is gone or unraveling in spots

4. Blue411

Blue411 New Member

Here are pictures

Attached Files:

5. Fishpit

Fishpit New Member

Can't tell from the pictures, but the one with the red circle on it appears to have missing or loose threads. If so you might be able to repair that with a Speedy Stitcher and then put a good seam sealer on all the seams. Look to see if you have any tent and awning businesses in your area as they may have everything you need or have the ability to access and correct the issue.

craiglepaige and Sjm9911 like this.
  6. Blue411

Blue411 New Member

thank you. I just ordered the seam stitcher from Amazon and also tear aid fabric repair kit. Is that good? And I ordered 303 fabric guard to spray on the rest of the canvas

7. Ruby Jean

Ruby Jean Member

Tear Aid is good for repairs/patches on vinyl. Get some painters heavy plastic drop cloths and some binder clips to cover the bunk ends if rain is in the forecast. Go camping and enjoy!

fronsm, craiglepaige and Blue411 like this.
  8. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

That tape you are talking about was likely original, and flaked off over time. Every old canvas I've ever had, had it.

After you stitch things up, add seam sealer on the outside and spray with the 303 you ordered.

xxxapache and Blue411 like this.
  9. Fishpit

Fishpit New Member

The seam sealer is an important part of the step as the it will help seal up the holes from the speedy stitcher.

xxxapache, fronsm and Blue411 like this.
  10. Blue411

Blue411 New Member

Thanks guys! Here are more pics. I found actual holes.

Attached Files:

craiglepaige likes this.
  11. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I had the same problem on mine. I bought it knowing the stitching had begun to fail in one area of the bunk. Every subsequent trip I took the stitching would rip more when I put it up. The tension was enough to split the thread. It was a 99, and all the stitching was damaged by age and UV. I bought the speedy stitcher with the intent to try and stitch the holes back together. However, after a few trips I realized that I was looking at doing the entire canvas, I threw in the towel. I had pop up gizmos, so they helped somewhat, and I avoided camping if there was any rain in the forecast, and saved up for new canvas. I got lucky - Jayco still stocked replacement canvas, and for half the price of the other guys.

I did use the stitcher to redo the bag awning. It took me a couple days to do that project, my fingers hurt for days, and my back was sore from working on the floor bent over a little. Others have done it, but it was not a project for me.

12. Sjm9911

Someone tried to fix that allready. But didnt do such a good job.

13. fronsm

fronsm Member

What brand seam seal do you recommend?

14. fronsm

fronsm Member

What brand of seam sealer do you recommend? Thanks

15. Sjm9911

I used this on the vinyl top seems.

craiglepaige likes this.
  16. Blue411

Blue411 New Member

Yes poor job

17. Blue411

Blue411 New Member

We used gear aid seam sealant. We found that we had to go back over almost all of the seams with tape, we used tear aid tape and Gear aid tape