Leaning despite being level

coyotepixel

Mar 29, 2022
Portland, Oregon
My 2000 Viking 2107 leans a bit on the door and awning side. The box itself is level in all directions.
Could the weight of the awning (folded up and stored) cause the tent top to lean?
It's about 3-4 inches of lean from top of box to the top of the tent.
I imagine this might put a strain on the Goshen system as I lift and lower the tent.
I suppose I could try lowering the wheel on the opposite side to see if the top levels out.
Or, I was thinking that a tightened cable from the latch on top to the latch on the box might right the lean.
I haven't checked the measurements to see if one side is lifting higher...Don't know if there is even an adjustment to fix that.
Any thoughts, suggestions? Thanks

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Got pictures? A little lean is normal as like you said its a heavier side. Some add tag lines to the opposite side.

p

Super Active Member
Jun 9, 2014
Alberta
Absolutley. My trailers tilt changes based on the awning being out or in. My door gap changes. I have decreased the tilt by adding a painter's pole to support the awning weight. It made a big difference and I simply store the pole on the bumper inside of my mat.

nitrohorse

May 27, 2015
NE Pennsylvania
I had a 2004 Viking 2107 with a roof AC that use to lean towards the door side with the awning out. I cut 1x2s to insert on the door side next to the tubes that raise the roof to level it. An AC unit on the roof can cause some lean as well.

coyotepixel

Mar 29, 2022
Portland, Oregon
I found an easy solution to the lean. The angle created doesn't put much downward stress on the lift system. Mostly lateral pull. It didn't take much tension to straighten out the lean on the door/canopy side. Should help also when the canopy is deployed! This may even take a bit of the shake out of the top when dancing inside.
(When the PUP is rock'n, don't come knockin')

Attachments

• IMG_3376.jpg
    IMG_3376.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3377.jpg
    IMG_3377.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 20

p

Super Active Member
Jun 9, 2014
Alberta
I found an easy solution to the lean. The angle created doesn't put much downward stress on the lift system. Mostly lateral pull. It didn't take much tension to straighten out the lean on the door/canopy side. Should help also when the canopy is deployed! This may even take a bit of the shake out of the top when dancing inside.
(When the PUP is rock'n, don't come knockin')
I did a similar thing by tieing the roof to a tree with a bungee cord.

azwildcat

Sep 19, 2021
Glendale, AZ
i was about to post a similar situation, camping last weekend, i made sure popup was level and after top was up the door would not fit right, got it closed but just barely,also could not get frig to lite on propane, this weekend i popped it up in my driveway to clean up, i took some measurements on all 4 corners, the side with canopy is the same but the other side are at one quarter to almost one half inch off, i will try the suggestions from night horse and p to see if doesn't fix the problem unless someone has other ideas

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
I dont think a quarter in or a half inch off will effect much. Depending on the camper make sure the door is seated right at the bottem. Especially on colmans. Easy to miss where its supost to go. The fridge could be air in the lines, opening the valve too fast, etc. I dont think the roof will have any bearing, since you said it was level.

Thesykboy

Aug 22, 2022
I think I have a similar issue and figured I’d jump onto this one.

Got a 2007 Rockwood Freedom 232 XRT (my first PUP), and though it’s level, the roof seems to favor the DS and is off by just a hair. It’s only noticeable when putting in the safety supports. I only ask about this because it does make putting in the supports more difficult as well as buttoning up the canvas. I was thinking of pushing it to the other side to see if I could “reset” the position, but am sure this may be a bad idea. Don’t wanna break anything by over-pushing to the other side just to get straight.

Then again, I’m sure someone will read this and say “psh… sounds fine to me, shut up and go camping!” 🤣

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Put the suports in and lower it untill its level? Or just put one of those felt chair things on the shorter post. The roof is supose to move, otherwise the wind would bring it down. You should be able to adjust the corners. But , that will change also depending on what spot you set up on. The guy above you was almost saying the fridge didn't work because the roof was crooked. But the floor was level. One has nothing to do with the other. The door could be a problem, but I am thinking it wasnt set right. To guage the roof height the tenting across the sides should be taunt, you will see if there is any sag in the tenting. And yea, they will be off center depending on the awning etc. But not overly so.