Learning from your experience.. CAMPER DELIGHT or CAMPER MISHAPS!!!...

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by landon6062, Jun 16, 2018.

1. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

IF you can think back to your first few camping experiences, it would be GREAT to hear about some of your "OOPS moments" and your "Camper delight" moments..

SUCH AS:

I wish I had brought this.. _______________

Perhaps a "TOOL" that you didn't bring along?
    Perhaps something that you CERTAINLY are glad you had for that with you?
    ie: bedding, coffee pot etc..

MY kids tell me all the time.. I like to be OVER prepared.. HA HA.. just wait till they have that moment.. OK it is true.. I do like to be over prepared for things..
    (I want BEAR SPRAY, in my camper at all times..LOL)

THANKS for your replies...Looking forward to hear you sharing your "delights and OOPS moments".. : )

2. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

Do NOT forget to lower the rear stabs... Wheelies are not fun.

3. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Welcome from another South Carolinian. In Florida, two months ago with the tonneau cover closed, I locked the truck tailgate which probably had not been done in 15 years. It did not want to open. Played with it about 20 minutes minutes before it finally opened. Always have a plan B. Picture is posted on the forum, probably under the "blunders" section.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    landon6062 likes this.
  4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

a spare key

landon6062 likes this.
  5. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Latex gloves for when you have to handle black and grey water.

landon6062 likes this.
  6. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Lol.. that is the problem.. don't know what Plan "b" is.. LOL because I don't even know PLAN "A" yet, never done ANY camping, tent or otherwise.

Thanks for sharing...I'll have to look up the picture you shared.. : )

7. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

a
    AWE yes.. just put that on my list of supplies.. thanks..

8. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

yes. plan on doing that..

"almost made my FIRST mistake with only having ONE KEY yesterday"

Yesterday.. after putting up my pup for the "first time", I SHUT the door, and turned the handle, not realizing I was 'Locking it at the same time"...

PANIC MOMENT..... "OH my.. I think I left the KEY inside.. which I had put on my CAR KEY ring, house key etc.. .. (I have spare keys for car and house, but still would have been a pain)

Thank GOODNESS, I actually didn't. but it was a moment of "panic".

.LIKE.. "OH GOOD GRIEF" am I going to have to break in my camper, before I even get it out of the Yard for the first time.... LOL

9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

always chock the wheels before unhooking from the TV. I had one roll down hill after unhooking, luckily nothing /no one was hurt, a worker in the park cutting grass hooked up and pulled in back up to an embarrassed myself, I also took the stupid wheel off the front jack and replaced it with a piece of flat metal.

J Starsky likes this.
  10. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Ok.. "TV" must mean something that I don't know? Maybe "TRAVEL VAN" ??

um so the WHEEL JACK is not something that you would recommend?

11. nineoaks2004

TV = Tow Vehicle
    To have a Wheel Jack depends on if you need to move the unit by hand. You can usually remove it and replace with a flat pipe with a flat piece, some wheels etc. have a pin or twist lock for removal, replacement.

Here are some common acronyms you may see

DH - Dear Husband
    DW - D@%m Woman or wife or dishwasher, depends on how much trouble you want to be in.
    BIL - brother in-law
    SIL - sister in-law
    TV - tow vehicle
    WDH - weight distrubuting hitch
    pup or PUP - pop up trailer or pop up portal.
    Pal. - Palomino (manufacture)

You can do a search for acronyms is the search section and get many more
    Good luck and Happy Camping

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    neighbormike and landon6062 like this.
  12. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

TV.. TOW VEHICLE>> UGG. yes that makes sense, duh me..

.. If you want to know the truth.. my first thought.. " Television".. to which I had a "HUH MOMENT??" .. and I knew that COULDN'T be right.. LOL

WONDERFUL.. yesterday I was wondering if it would be a benefit to have one of those "wheel jacks"...and if it was REMOVABLE afterwards... ugg.. trying to "bump" that camper onto the ball was a BEAR of a job....

"please forgive my ignorance".. I am REALLY NOT STUPID, just very ignorant to the camping world.. : )

13. nineoaks2004

You have to start somewhere and asking, goes along with learning. You have to remember a lot of the members here have been camping in one form or another for many years, I am 75 and have been camping since I was about 3-4 years old. The problem is we learn from out mistakes :) but it is burned in when we do. We always have time to do something right the 2nd time:)

WVhillbilly, BelchFire and landon6062 like this.
  14. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

15. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Check the roof of your popup BEFORE cranking it up.....I can't tell you how many times I've sent my car keys and/or cell phone aloft, then spent 20 minutes or so trying to figure out where i set it/them down at....lol. It's even worse now, I've added solar panels to the roof, & since I didn't want to bore any holes in the roof, I run the wires down the front corner....so now I have to remember to fetch them from under one of the solar panels, & plug them in before cranking the roof up...which of course, I forgot last trip....lol

Rik Peery, BelchFire and landon6062 like this.
  16. MsMac

MsMac Well-Known Member

I've got a couple...

Double and triple check that the hitch is actually ON the ball before you drive off. Our second or third time out with the PUP, as we were driving out of the campground, as we made a turn out of a parking lot we hit a dip and then heard a huge *thud*. Fortunately, we were going slowly and our spare tire took the brunt of the force as the trailer's tongue went to the ground, but yes, this could have been a major accident had it happened someplace else. My partner had assistance from a stranger who saw what happened and stopped to help (thank you again, random stranger with big muscles :) ) and we were on our way again in a couple of minutes. This incident taught us to really pay attention to how the hitch is going down on the ball, and to manually check it after it's hitched. Also, it was this incident that prompted my partner to take the floor jack whenever we are towing.

If it feels or sounds weird or "off", stop immediately and check what's going on. Last year, as we were headed out for our big trip down to Southern California, I heard what I can best describe as a scraping sound coming from the trailer. I immediately pulled over, and my partner hopped out to check the trailer. Everything seemed to look good, but as he had me pull forward slowly, he heard the sound and knew immediately what was going on. He had me pull off into the next driveway, "very slowly". It turns out that, in the rush to get prepped for our 3 week trip, he had forgotten to tighten all of the lugs on the tire after working on the trailer brakes. In the mile and a half that we had travelled from our house, we had already lost 3 out of the 5 lugs. He was able to poach two lugs from the other tire in order to get us home (thanks to the aforementioned floor jack), and we were able to get new lugs that evening (that were good and tight when we left the next morning). I shudder to think what could have happened had I ignored that weird sound initially.

^^^ This also definitely applies to more routine stuff as well. If, for example, you are pushing your bunkends in and they are not going in smoothly, don't force it before checking what's going on inside and underneath the PUP. If what I've read here is any indication, 9 times out of 10, when this happens, there is something in the way and if you force it, you will break stuff. I know, for our PUP, it's easy for someone to stand by the doorway and look at the bed sliding in as another person is pushing it.

Overall, I'd say that the biggest thing that we've learned over the 3 seasons that we've had our PUP is to pack our patience and sense of humor. Unexpected stuff will happen. Our first time out, as we cranked the roof up, the end piece of our roof by the smaller bunk literally fell off. My partner was able to jerry-rig it so it was usable for the weekend, but had he not been able to? We would have hitched back up, gone home and tried again once it was fixed. Bummed, for sure, but knowing that sometimes things are just out of your control.

17. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Thank you for sharing your experiences with mishaps.. good stuff there!!!

Oh goodness. Maybe because I am a woman or maybe it is just absolute lack of KNOWLEDGE in this area..

Um.. interesting.. you mentioned "FLOOR JACK"..

my ignorance is showing again. forgive me ..

Is that something that should have been included in my camper?

is that LIKE a special JACK for campers? Will a "CAR JACK" do the same thing?

18. MsMac

MsMac Well-Known Member

Yup. Our tongue is slightly bent because of a PO ("previous owner") who had not chocked before unhooking. They also ripped the wheel off- which actually worked out well for us, because they put a replacement on the other side and left the mount where the original was, which is a just about perfect place for us to carry our spare tire. :)

19. MsMac

MsMac Well-Known Member

It is because of your lack of knowledge, NOT because you're a woman. ;)

A floor jack is not special for campers. (And, no, I don't think I've heard of a special jack actually coming with a camper of your vintage.) You can Google it to see what it actually looks like- but essentially it's a jack that can hold a lot of weight that works by inserting a metal handle into one end and pumping it up and down.

I am definitely not the "tire changer" in the family, but I will say, from my understanding, that we (read: he) prefer the floor jack because it's more sturdy and versatile than a generic car jack.

From what I have seen on these forums, most people prefer to carry a floor or scissor jack for their camper.

Katskamper and landon6062 like this.
  20. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

thank you.. "floor jack".. new on my list for FUTURE supplies.. .. LOL

Um [LOL] me's thinking I better camp at HOME for a while.. LOL so much to learn...