Leave AC Running?

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by tunieyob, Aug 28, 2013.

1. tunieyob

tunieyob New Member

We are leaving tomorrow afternoon headed for the lake. However, Friday I have to work and DW DD DS are all coming into town for the day for school activities etc. Is it ok to leave the ac running in my absence? It will probably run for 8 hours give or take. Its going to be 100 degrees Friday with no shade. I am concerned about keeping it comfortable as well as helping the fridge keep up (plan on running it on propane). Is there anything wrong with leaving the ac running? If we were staying all day it would run.

2. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

I see no issue with it, set it just below max, so it cycles as needed. Mine runs 24/7 when we're camping in heat in the TT, and it's suffered no ill fate. Check the filters for dirt, if you run it a lot.

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We've been in a couple of campgrounds where they required or requested that a/c only be run when campers are actually in residence. I think it more applied to the big guys, but you might check the regs.

4. Roy and Janet Bowman

Roy and Janet Bowman Poppin' Up from Aggieland

We plug ours in when we set up and only turn it off just before take down -- to let the canvas dry.

Texas + summer = A/C in popup!!!

5. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

We turn on the AC as soon as the roof gets raised and it runs 24-7 until we turn it off as we are packing down so the canvas can dry just like AggiePopup does. We are always away from the popup out doing things (hiking, biking, swimming, fishing, sight seeing, ect.)

In the Texas summer heat anytime of the year, you need AC. You'll be fine letting it run.

Also, if you are not familiar with them I would recommend checking out PopUp Gizmos http://www.popupgizmos.com/ and putting Reflectix in the bunk ends. You can find loads of info on both here on PopUp portal.

6. Indy

Indy Member

Ditto Aggie and TXF2!

7. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We turn it on when we go into the camper and turn it off when were done for the day. It does not take long to cool down. Our camper on a 100 degree day in 30 minutes is in the 70's inside.

When packing up and heading home at a campsite we turn it off a few hours earlier so the canvas drys were the water has run down the canvas, or we pack up if hot and turn it off and wait until dry before lowering the roof. We don't raise the the camper at home, every thing is cleaned and the stuff that need unpacking is in the TV.

8. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

Leave it running.

Why are you planning n running the fridge off propane?
    Since you have elec. and will be running the a/c, why not just run the fridge off elec. too?

9. COdreaming

COdreaming New Member

The only thing we turn off before leaving the pup is the water pump! [8D]

10. tenttrailer

I have to do the same thing and run the fridge off propane at the house when running the AC unit because the circuit at the house is 20 amps, and if I run both it will trip the breaker. But if I don't have the AC on the fridge is running off 120V

But at the CS if hooked to 30A everything is on 120v AC

11. bropaul

bropaul New Member

In that heat I would run the frig on propane, too, no matter the electrical amperage. 3 ways run the most efficient and coldest on propane. Using 120A our frig gets cold but on propane it will make ice. We have to turn it down to medium or things will freeze... even when it is hot and we are dry camping without our a/c.

Diane

12. tunieyob

tunieyob New Member

Thanks for all of the responses! We will be leaving it running. It just feels weird with it running away while I am at work? I plan to run the fridge on propane simply due to the heat. It is my understanding that it cools much better on propane and I don't want to risk my food spoiling.

Thanks again!

13. tenttrailer

As you neighbor when camping. If your not going to be there, I would prefer not to hear your AC running. Some are very quite some are rattle boxes, but they all make noise and I would prefer not to hear the noise if you'r not getting any of the benefit.

14. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

I would agree normally, but I'm not sure if you have ever been camping in TX, especially during the summer. You will find all the AC's running in the campgrounds at summertime. I grew up in NJ and PA and I can tell you that TX summer heat sure feels more brutal.

And here you do get benefit from running the AC when you're not there......................... you come back to a cool camper instead of one that is 90* - 100* inside.

15. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

I don't think my A/C is very loud, inside or out. But that's just MY opinion! Others might think different! [LOL] [LOL]

Being disabled, I overheat very easily and I'm not even supposed to be out in the direct sun due to some meds. Then again, if mine's running, I'm IN there trying to survive!! That's why I love Spring & Fall camping the best!! Worst case, I ran to the store for a treat or something.

But yeah....even if I left for a few hours, I'd keep it running so it would be bearable when I returned.

It's just a necessity for me. [A]

[:D]