Leaving Cookie crumb so friends can find us

Jun 19, 2014
So, we are going camping in a remote location that has no cell service. We have friends and family that will be coming to meet us, but we aren't 100% sure which area we will camp in until we arrive. What is the best cookie trail you have seen that would work? Plates taped to trees? Sticks? Rocks shaping arrows etc...?

mschepac

South Jersey
Apr 22, 2008
South Jersey
We had seen someone use little paw shaped post-it pads. They were very bright colored and they stapled them to trees and poles. It was to lead people to a yard sale, but to the same effect.

Jun 19, 2014
speckhunter80 said:
$60 Walkie Talk two pack plus handheld GPS or car based GPS

Will a walkie talkie work throughout a deep canyon? Or do they need line of sight? The dirt road is approximately 7-8 miles with about 20 different forks in multiple directions, however the area we will be camping in surrounds a reservoir. It's mainly around the reservoir where we will need to post a route.

I have given all parties the GPS coordinates of the lake, but there are about 60-80 different camp areas in the tree's that surround the lake.

dion

Apr 26, 2012
Those common FRS/GMRS walkie-talkies don't quite need line of sight, but pretty close to it. You can't have a lot of dirt between the sender and receiver, but the signal can bend and scatter around corners and obstacles just a little bit.

The radios should work well over open water across the lake. The problem would be if you're deep in one bay, and your friend is deep in another bay, and there's a big ridge between your bay and his.

After you get to your site, put your radio up as high as practical, but make sure it's upright, with the antenna vertical. Turn it on to the pre-arranged channel, with the volume high, and make sure the radio isn't set to turn itself off after a period of non-use (lots of radios have an option for auto-power-off). This will maximize your chances of hearing your friends as they approach the area. Tell your friends that if they can't contact you right away, they should get outside of the car and stand on high ground for maximum range.

stlouielady

Aug 21, 2010
Can you make prior arrangements to meet tham at a set time and at a set location, perhaps where the first fork is, and then have them follow you back to where you are camping? I've had to do that before. Usually works pretty well.

Jun 19, 2014
stlouielady said:
Can you make prior arrangements to meet tham at a set time and at a set location, perhaps where the first fork is, and then have them follow you back to where you are camping? I've had to do that before. Usually works pretty well.

Yes, except everyone is planning to leave "whenever they get off work" so, the timing thing is going to be difficult. Fridays go different for everyone, and I personally am going to leave a bit early so I don't have to set up in the dark. Maybe as the day goes on tomorrow, the group might have a better idea as to when they can leave. Unfortunately the spot is approximately 3 hours from our houses, so there will be a large window between arrivals.

Right now, I plan on hopping in my UTV every 30 minutes or so to go check the main road, just thought it would be nice to leave a few "markers" to make things easier.

Detroit_Iron

Jan 31, 2013
You could just tie some ribbon to tree branches, that way in the morning you can back track and remove them so there's nothing permanent left behind

Jun 19, 2014
Detroit_Iron said:
You could just tie some ribbon to tree branches, that way in the morning you can back track and remove them so there's nothing permanent left behind

I like that Idea. Last time I was in this area, people had duct taped paper plates around tree's and i'm sure they had no intention on taking them down. That was the motive behind this post, because I wanted to hear what others have done and what is effective.

Jun 19, 2014
Customer said:
I would send them the GPS coordinates once I got to my spot. If that isn't possible you could put your first marker at the general coordinates of the lake.

You can purchase biodegradable flagging tape that will dissolve by itself if you miss retrieving it.
http://www.gofastandlight.com/Biodegradable-Trail-Marking-Tape-Ribbon-in-Orange/productinfo/SU-BIOTAPE/

There we go! This is what I will do! I don't have time to order the biodegradable flagging, but I will be sure to remove the flagging I leave by the lake!

CaliforniaPoppy

California and beyond!
Dec 4, 2007
California Coast
Yeah, flagging tape is pretty standard. You can also tie glow sticks into it if you're having night-time arrivals, (try pink or purple, not white, orange, yellow or red since they can be confused for road directionals) and remove them after the last arrival.

lugoismad

Super Active Member
Dec 31, 2013
Yep, just get some orange flagging tape.

We use it to make the boundaries of our campsite to keep the kids inside. They know they aren't allowed past the tape.