Leaving popup at site while we do stuff. Do you collapse it?

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by lugoismad, Apr 3, 2014.

1. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

So we're planning a long road trip, and will be going and doing stuff during the day.

I realize my crappy 30 year old camper isn't worth a lot, but I will have some nice gear with me locked up inside.

Do you guys collapse your camper during the day? It only takes me about 15 minutes. Wondering if its worth the time to put the roof down and then toss a lock on one of the roof clamps?

2. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

When we had our popup, we always left it up if we left the camp ground - even for an all-day off roading trip or kayak trip. I have seen some people install a lock box, bolted inside a cabinet for their valuables.

3. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

I leave my dogs inside...good luck getting in without getting torn up! Lol but I don't worry about theft. The typical people camping near your site aren't your usual thief.

4. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

I've wondered about leaving my dog. I know in most public campgrounds, thats against the rules. Which, ordinarily wouldn't bother me. But I don't want to come back from a day trip to find out my dog is now at the pound and I have to pay a huge fine to get her back.

5. Ridge-Runner

Ridge-Runner New Member

We leave ours up and everything sitting around we just close and lock the step door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '02 Chevy Suburban
    '99 Coleman Westlake

6. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

I will leave my up fold up all my camp chairs and either put them inside or under rear bunk. Lock the step /door. I do however take anything of real value with me in the car. Plus food cooler usually goes either in the camper or car as well. Only one time in over 20 years of camping has theft been a problem. I came back to find my pile of firewood to be missing

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I leave everything up but keep my valuables in the travel vehicle. If its going to be super hot my electronics are left at home. The bike is locked on the trailer bumper. I just feel the car is more secure and i don't have cabinet space.

8. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn New Member

I think that folding up the chairs and tucking everything away screams "we're gone" to would-be thieves. I would leave the chairs set up and a few inexpensive things out as if you are coming right back from your hike or trip to the bathroom. Bring a cooler for your car and place your expensive stuff in it to protect it from the heat. A serious thief will be able to get into your camper in a jiffy. [2C]

9. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

We certainly don't fold down once set up in the campground until we are packing to leave.

We just make sure that any valuables are put away out of sight and/or put into the TV and locked. I've brought my laptop on a few trips and used a kinsington lock to lock it to something sturdy in the PUP (e.g., a roof support, bunk end, etc.).

One of my thoughts is that if someone is going to break into a camper to get stuff, they would probably be more likely to break into a TT, 5'er, etc. in hopes of getting more valuable stuff. I think of PUP'ers as being more minimalist and wouldn't be as likely to have electronics, jewelry, etc. stored there which is the kind of stuff that a thief would most likely be after and can sell easier.

PUPs would be easy to get into; but, the likelyhood of a good haul would be minimized.

10. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

^^^^^^^ X2

And we never leave the dog

Maycat likes this.
  11. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

How nice of you to pack the pop up for the thief.

12. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

As others have said as well, we always leave it up.....only fold it down when we're heading out for good.
    We leave camp chairs set up, and don't pack anything away if we're only going on a day trip.

We don't carry "real" valuables with us when we camp. If we bring DH's laptop (for work purposes), it stays in the TV......other then that, it's just the kids inexpensive DS's or other cheaper electronics. I'm not too concerned about them.
    If someone really wants inside your camper, a small door lock is not going to stop them. A dog might! Wonder if leaving my kids would work.... [?:~{] [?:~{] [LOL]

@arthuruscg - [LOL]

Melissa

13. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

If we left our kids and they were stolen, the thief would quickly return them. [LOL] [LOL]

Not really. Our kids are great, usually.

Maycat likes this.
  14. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

I am with the no real valuables left in trailer. I'm more worried about the batteries and propane

15. efehser

efehser New Member

Up when I arrive, down when I leave with it. Valuables locked in the TV, even when I'm around. Only thieves I've had issues with are the four legged variety, and that was my fault leaving things out.

16. benfrench

benfrench Woodbridge, VA

We never even closed the step door, I would rather them walk in and take whatever it is that they wanted than cut through my canvas. We never had a problem and we camped a lot in the PU (almost every weekend from Apr-Nov for 6 years)

-Ben

17. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

We have always left camp set up, whether ground tenting or in the pup. We don't leave valuables in the pup or sitting around camp, the cameras and electronics go with us in the TV. We are often gone from camp a good portion of the day, and base camp for 2 nights to a week at a time, Certainly not going to keep putting the pup up and down!

The battery and LP tanks are all well-secured. Wouldn't stop a determined thief, but seems like having the bunk end extended over that section of the pup is another time deterrent.

18. mnebinger

mnebinger Livin' The Dream!

The only thing I put away is my canopy, because I hate coming back and having to flip it back off the roof :)

19. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

Im relatively new, and have only used mine 3 times since i purchased it in Jan. but this last time we went out, during spring break, at a private campground on the beach, I got the feeling that when we left for a few hours, that I shouldn't put up the chairs, or even lock the door as I wanted it to appear that someone was still in the pup. I think I was just imagining myself as a thief and seeing the stepper door locked up would just be like an invite. Just a gut feeling at the time. I did put away the tablets and such from plain sight, but in hindsight, I should have used the TV. I probably will next time.

20. CaliforniaPoppy

CaliforniaPoppy California and beyond!

Leave the radio playing and a note on the door. "David, Mom went into town. Zeuss and I are napping. Don't you dare wake us up. Go play." Put some size 13 shoes, an empty 12 pack, and a giant dog bowl outside the door.

Maycat likes this.