Leaving popup at site while we do stuff. Do you collapse it?

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by lugoismad, Apr 3, 2014.

1. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

[LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [:D]

2. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

Good one!!! [LOL] [LOL]

3. lonewolf465

lonewolf465 Member

We have been camping for 40 years with a tent or some type of popup. Only once have we ever had a problem. We had set up camp, clothes line, lawn chairs, carpet and portable bbq were at the site. Since we had a popup Sunlite pickup camper, that went with us when we went sight seeing. We came back to camp (Forest Service campground) about sunset to find someone on our site and all our gear gone. I asked the people at the site what was going on. They said the site was empty when they came in about two hours later. A couple of campers came over and said they had seen another camper come over about three hours earlier and gather up our stuff, throw it the dumpster and return to his site. I went over to talk to him. His explanation was that since it was almost supper time and no one was at the site, the equipment must be abandoned. He took upon himself to make the site available. We had been at the site a couple of days so by then several of the campers we had met had gathered around. I made way to "thief's" camp site for his story. After I visited with him, I was convinced there was no malice intended but he did not make the impression he was a rocket scientist. A deputy sheriff on patrol had just pulled in (never had seen that before in all our camping) and asked if I wanted the guy charged. Since we got all our stuff back and a sincere apology, I couldn't see any reason to have the guy dragged away from his family. Since the campground was full, another couple asked if we wanted to put our camper on their big site for the evening. In the morning, another family invited our family over for breakfast. Long story short----we don't leave things of value around camp when we a gone and nothing of value in the camper when gone. I laugh about the incident now, not so much when it happened. [ALPU] [PUT]

4. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I would of made the guy who threw your stuff in the dumpster give you his site. He should of offered you his site.

5. metro6775

metro6775 New Member

I leave mine up locking the screen door. Then in the back of my mind I laugh knowing that the canvas is held on by velcro and a zipper. I leave everything setup outside so it looks like we can be back at any time. Anything irreplaceable comes with us or locked in TV.

6. dion

dion Member

The most valuable thing we leave on our site is the trailer itself. If we were to collapse it, it would make it much easier for a thief to take.

7. JustRelax

JustRelax Well-Known Member

On a separate note to this point I always put my chairs up because it seems that quick pop up storms happen very frequently and even if it just rains a minute it takes hours to dry the chairs.

8. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

Thats a good point.

9. teejaywhy

teejaywhy Active Member

We do not collapse the trailer when leaving our site for the day. Never even thought about doing that. What a hassle. We do not leave valuables unattended however.

10. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

LMAO

11. skiball

skiball New Member

As to the OP question. "No"

12. ajbarnard

ajbarnard Member

hahaha, awesome :D

13. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Why collapse the camper? People with tents don't collapse them when they are gone. Bottom line: Don't leave valuables in the camper -- ever. Money, credit cards, electronics, cameras, etc. should come with you when you leave for the day. Keep them locked out of sight in the TV. Don't even bring jewelry, good watches, etc. on a camping trip.

14. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We never collapse the pup when we are away all day! Only once while we were at Glacier NP. We were going to be away all day and it was extremely windy. Folks with pups there were bracing their pup roofs with 2x4's. Seems to me they knew the weather very well up there!

15. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

As many have said, valuables in the TV. I try to take as less valuables as I can. Right now I just bring my smartphone unless there is going to be anything involving water which I will also bring my waterproof camera. GPS if I am going to go trekking somewhere I think there might be a chance to get lost or fishing while a new river and it is a new takeout. No computers, expensive radios, jewelry or such. If you have the need to leave valuables in your pop and it is something you will be doing often then build you a compartment for that.

Kinda related, in my first trip of this year we saw one of your neighbors park a very nice TT 2 sites north of us but they did not set up camp at all. The family left and they were back in a couple of days and then set up camp. I told DW how easy would have been for anyone with the correct TV to just hook that thing off and go... I wonder how may times that happens...

16. CREEPPINGCHARLIE

CREEPPINGCHARLIE CAMPING RECHARGES THE HUMAN MIND

Leave it popped up. Nothing valuable is left that can't be replaced for a few dollars. [8D] [PU] [PUT]

17. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Only thing we do is put the awning up. Never know when the wind will pickup and blow the awning on the roof. We never leave anything of value in the camper.

18. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Up when we arrive, down when we leave. We do close the windows and the top hatch but leave everything else out. (No food)

19. bknjohnson

bknjohnson Tyngsboro MA

A close relative of mine and a career police office always said to me, locks are made to keep your friends out.

We leave it up when we're gone, and just secure items in the event of wind or rain. Otherwise, anything overly valuable is with us anyway. Only time we've ever had a theft issue was when DW left her purse in the restroom. A busload of tourists had just stopped for a restroom break as she came out. Just a few moments later she went back for it. The tourists and all her cash, gone.

Never had any issues with the PUP. While securing outside items says "we're not here" doesn't the absence of a TV say the same thing? In any event, we leave it popped up while we're out and about.

(Although, I did like the post with the note on the door, size 13s and a big dog bowl. Nice touch!)

20. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Many years ago. I had, I think its was the kids camping in one of the two sites on each side of me, steel some beer out of my outside cooler.