Leaving popup unattended on BLM land

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by Mtlangst, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Mtlangst

Mtlangst Member

Ok, so we are planning a big trip out SW and plan on doing alot of boondocking on BLM land. We will be camping near a lot of diff national parks so during the day we will not be at the campsite. Do you leave your popup alone and hope for the best? I was thinking of packing it all up and towing it during the day and setting back up that night, but that will get old over 2 weeks. Am i just being paranoid? All that would be left in the camper would be bedding mostly so nothing really to steal except for the whole trailer.

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Take your valuables with you, make sure everything is secured in the campsite - not for theft, but because monsoon season in the SW means sudden, gusty winds. Don't leave your windows open more than a bit - blowing grit can happen even if it doesn't rain.
    We don't boondock, for a number of reasons, but we do camp in state and NPs, USFS campgrounds, and the like. Since tenting days, we've always just left camp set up, valuables go with us, chairs and such are secured when we leave camp. Once we got a popup, we did begin to secure it from opportunists (coupler lock), with second one, we secured the battery and LP tanks. With our small TT, we secure those, as well as our free-standing solar panel.
    There are some places where theft occurs, but use common sense, do some research on the areas you will be in, and don't get too worried. In more than 30 years of camping in the SW, the only time we were aware of theft in a campground was when someone tossed a cooler used to mark a FCFS campsite as occupied into a dumpster so the site could be taken over. (No one saw it, so nothing could be proven.)
    Hauling the popup with you would be clumsy, at best - depending on where you will be exploring during the day, parking it could be a huge issue. Much of the theft actually goes on at trailheads (which makes taking valuables with you a problem, I know - there is no perfect answer to that one.) I live in a city with a high crime rate, right now there's an issue with break-ins at parking lots near trailheads a mile from my house, so nothing is totally safe.

Fish N Farm, kcsa75 and NMroamer like this.
  3. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

We leave our camper out unattended on FS land all the time and never had an issue. Fairly remote areas.

kcsa75 likes this.
  4. Mtlangst

Mtlangst Member

These will be around national parks so probably not remote and have traffic going by.

5. Arruba

Arruba Active Member Gold Supporting Member

If consensus helps, I’ve never had a problem and by and large Boondock. The camp in my Avatar was only 75 yards of so off a State Highway along the edge of a small opening/meadow. Just put the lantern and chairs under the trailer and the cook stove back in the stuff box when I left for the day. Still have it all.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  6. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

We leave our rig unattended for most of the day when boondocking on BLM land. Most of it is right along a highway.

The average passerby turned opportunistic thief is easily foiled with tongue locks and wheel locks (and a SET UP rig) since it takes a bit of time, and you have to have the right implements of destruction to get the rig folded up and attached to the truck. Theft of a set-up PUP is pretty difficult, because they want to get the rig hooked up and GO. Popping down and folding stabilizers while defeating the usual theft deterrents is a LOT of exposure. That's why it's easier, and more lucrative to either just steal your battery and LP tanks (tie those down too) OR go after a TT which is easier to hitch and run with.

Most boodocking places are simply full of other campers and for the most part are safe. Don't make it easy, and your rig will be right where you left it in the morning.

I agree though... the BIGGER risk is unexpected weather while gone. Don't leave stuff loose with windows down and no canopy out.

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  7. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

keep valuables in your car/SUV. So far, we have not had a problem leaving our Aliner alone all day long, in some remote areas, and some busy areas, and some in-between areas.

kcsa75 likes this.
  8. rsdata

rsdata Active Member Gold Supporting Member

keep things locked up and out of sight... a coupler lock, and a chain and lock thru one of the wheel spokes will keep it from moving easily... use a bike lock thru the propane tanks and get a secure battery box... with batteries going for more than $100 these days it pays to spend a few bucks securing the battery... unexpected popup wind and thunderstorms will be more of a problem... say hello to any neighbors around your campsite and share your plans and ask them to keep an eye on your stuff and vice-versa

9. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

We are within miles of Yellowstone and GTNP

Arlyn Aronson, kcsa75 and kitphantom like this.
  10. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Even while camping in NFS campgrounds, we leave our truck keys in our unlocked camper. We only ever lock the camper if we leave it there over the week. Maybe we live the simple, less crime life, in the UP pf MI. [LOL] Maybe I should add we don't spend all that much time in camp, but are out hiking, working on a trail or maybe even the campground.