Leaving raised for winter?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Carol T, Nov 9, 2021.

1. Carol T

Carol T New Member

My husband wanted to know if anyone has ever left their pup raised for the winter. We store it in an unheated machine shed here on the farm but have had a mice problem in the past. The cats are in the machine shed but can't get to a mouse once it gets into the closed pup. I wondered if leaving the pup raised for months was hard on the springs. We have a 2000 Coleman Utah. Thoughts or experiences?

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I personally would not. Put some of these green mouse bait/poison throughout the camper, remove all bedding, and close it up.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Just be sure to use the bait traps, so 9nly the mice can get to the poison and not the cats!

Drufus and kcsa75 like this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I'm with Steve. The risk of mice getting in an open popup is far greater than if it was closed. Now I don't think it would hurt the camper itself to leave it up but the mice love chewing wires, making additional holes etc. Now if you are going to constantly tinker on the camper over winter and are constantly going in/out of it then you may scare the mice away enough they may not bother with it. I wouldn't want to leave it up all winter without regular use though.

5. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

Two things in this thread I wouldn't do:

1) leave the pup raised... MUCH easier for mice to get in. How are they getting in with it closed? Figure it out, and seal those holes.

2) Put bait or food of any kind inside my pup. That's just inviting mice to find a way in, possibly by chewing their own new holes. I figure if there is no scent inside (and perhaps an unpleasant scent of peppermint or moth balls) there's no reason a mouse would decide "hey, I need to chew my way into this big box here". But if there is yummy smelling bait inside, they just might.

TheBlurb, neighbormike and kitphantom like this.
  6. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I think that it is a good idea to leave it open. It will not damage the lift system. The only negative about leaving it open would be if it was out in the elements. As long as it is dry and no sun shine it will only get dirty. The mice wont eat the canvas when it is open, they like to nest in the canvas when it is closed up. I would remove all the cushions and store them in your house. You could always remove the canvas and cushions and store in your house and it would be safe closed.

TheBlurb, neighbormike and xxxapache like this.
  7. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I agree with Ken. It'll also be easier for YOU to go visit it frequently which will (1) make the mice feel less welcome and (2) give you a chance to observe any infestation before it gets really nasty. I'd even leave all the cabinets open so the cats aren't at a disadvantage.

I trust your cats.

Of course, you SHOULD also try to seal any holes.

8. tfischer

No way to rodent-proof an open canvas camper.

9. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

We have been using Fresh Cab for years and never had a problem. It was originally marketed to farmers to use in the cabs of trucks, tractors, combines etc. that are parked for long periods of time. We store our camper in pole shed next to a hay field with a fresh round of Fresh Cab in the spring and fall. I've never found so much as a dead bug. It available all over. I buy it at Tractor Supply.
    https://www.earthkind.com/product/fresh-cab-rodent-repellent/
    productgal-freshcab-12-1-800x546.jpg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
  10. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Ditto
    Ditto
    Ditto
    Ditto

kcsa75 and Sjm9911 like this.
  11. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I wouldn't hesitate to leave it open if I planned to visit the trailer frequently and do a layered approach to rodent control. Since you have cats, poison bait stations are probably out. In that case, I would build a few bucket traps and put them in the shed. They are quite effective.

BillyMc likes this.
  12. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

If I had the ability to store the PUP indoors the only time it would have been closed is while it was being towed. I personally don't do poisons, but bucket traps work well.

13. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

No way to rodent-proof a closed one, either. Doesn't mean you want holes.

xxxapache likes this.
  14. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I believe you are less likely to suffer canvas damage from mice chewing if the trailer is open.

15. Sjm9911

I always used baited teaps inside the pup and now the TT. I also use irish spring, with a fresh cut edge. And I spray with ortho home defense inside and out. Qe have mice because the cats catch them , but so far no dammage in the pup. Also, spray foam any holes.

16. tfischer

Maybe it's just my popup (I doubt it) but there a tons of places where the canvas doesn't quite seal perfectly with the camper... a mouse can squeeze in a hole the size of a dime and could get in with no issues.

Short of chewing, there isn't a hole large enough for a mouse to get inside my closed camper. And there's nothing to lure them in (and peppermint/fresh cab to try to keep them out)

17. davido

davido Well-Known Member

Close it up. Seal off the furnace, water heater, and fridge vents. Fill wiring and plumbing holes in the bottom of the trailer with insulation foam. Easy-removal painter's tape around any door or compartment frames that seem to have gaps. Possibly the same tape around the perimeter of the roof/wall joint. Bait stations adjacent to any points where the trailer contacts the ground (tongue jack, wheels).

18. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

If I had a newer camper, I would remove the canvas. My owners manual recommends removing the canvas for long term storage

xxxapache likes this.
  19. Sjm9911

Lol, I would tell myself this is what I would do, but honestly, it would never get done. I really dont think anyone does this every year, isnt removing the mattresses and cushions on that list also?

20. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. No way, no how can I do all that every year. For one lack of storage at home is a huge problem. I take my curtains and valance down every season and bring my bedding home for storage. The canvas and cushions stay in the camper. I take out everything else mice can think about using and I give my camper a deep clean. That’s the best I can do. Thankfully I haven’t had any problems. Let’s face it, I’m also lazy and it would be a ton of trouble and very time consuming to take the canvas off every year. Only to have to replace it when I want to go camping. Even more the risk the canvas gets ripped or the “rib” that attaches to the camper torn far higher.

Sjm9911 likes this.