Leaving the site nicer than when you got there

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by brianbigdogsmith, May 27, 2012.

1. brianbigdogsmith

brianbigdogsmith Camp more Camp more often

I have camped for over 30 years and have always tried to leave the site I camped on looking better. It always makes me wonder what the people were thing when they left. Butts, beer caps , broken tent stakes, dog poop, plastic bits and pieces of stuff I just don't want to know what they are. Little alone the things that they leave in the fire pit. But we a broom and a rake with us to clean up any thing we don't want to drag into our pup. And before I leave we go around and make sure that the next camper has a nice clean site to camp in. Camp more camp more often.

2. carolinacampers

carolinacampers Nights camped: 2008-10, 2009-25, 2010-6.

We're of the same mindset, bbds. I get so aggravated when I see how some people just don't care.
    Most recently, we walked the campground after the Easter weekend campers pulled out. Not only was the typical camping trash left behind, but several of the fire pits had remnants of melted plastic Easter eggs in them.
    [:(!] UGH!!!!

3. chiefbowes

chiefbowes Member

Cigarette butts are pet peeve of mine. I hate when people use the world as a ash tray. I have handed butts back to people,

4. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Whenever we leave a campsite whether it be a private CG, state park or NP we always police it to make sure it is cleaner than when we got there!

5. MichelleMS

MichelleMS Member

I can always tell when the person before us practiced this as well. It's so nice. Thanks to all of you who do it! :)

6. Mr_Custom

Mr_Custom Member

I noticed on our last trip to Bonnechere Provincial Park there are fan rakes hanging on each vault toilet - I had never noticed before but what a great idea Has anyone noticed if other parks have done this? It sure helps to rake away pine needles from around the fire pits and general cleanup around the wood chopping area.

7. Dust Devil

Dust Devil Member

Thinking? Problem is, they aren't thinking. These are the same people who I have as kids in classes that think the janitor's job is to pick up after them. I live across the street from a city park with trash cans and have seen teens drop their trash not 10 feet from the can and just keep on going. I am constantly picking up people's trash along the side of my wall next to the street they come and go on. So, no, it's no surprise these numbnuts can't seem to pick up after themselves and could care less what they do to the environment around them. After all, there is always someone like us who enable them to be the slobs they are, since we care, do pick up their mess and try to leave no trace behind for the next guy.

8. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

[​IMG]

9. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

I've mentioned the joy I found in telling some schlubs that Phantom Ranch has no public trash cans, so they had to pack all of their empty beer bottles up the south rim of the Grand Canyon. I often pick up "micro litter" on the trail, and I appreciate finding a clean campsite on my arrival. Thanks to the rest of you from me, too.

It's easy to forget that while it may be appropriate to make improvements in a campground, when using a backcountry site, you may want to spend a little time deconstructing any benches or self-made fire rings in an effort to return the site to a more natural state. The comfy camp furniture you left behind may be an eyesore to a new arrival.

10. carolinacampers

carolinacampers Nights camped: 2008-10, 2009-25, 2010-6.

I totally agree! Especially living on the coast, I hate to see them on the beach as well. The birds think they are food. [:(O]

At the GA State Parks, they have mops in the comfort centers so those who shower can mop up water afterwards.

Good one, Michelle. It's always nice to recognize those who do care as well. Thanks to all of you who practice this too!

11. rms62003

rms62003 New Member

New to this, the first campground I was at was pristine. The second had a fuel starter bottle near the firepit, a bungee cord from something, and some unknown trash.

I've tent camped in national forests, state parks, etc. I don't like to leave anything behind, and as I pull out, I've looked for any indications that my dogs and I have been there, then corrected anything that I find. We are going into nature, and we need to let nature continue on her way, whether this is a campground or boondocking.

I took a tour of the campground my last time out with two of my hounds. I had bags with me for number 2s, and had to use them. The other campers that I saw actually saddened me. I saw some smoking firepits at 8am, suggesting they were going all night. I also saw several picnic tables with all manner of used alcoholic beverages, and other debris. For me, camping is a reconnection with nature, not an all out party.

BTW - I was fortunate to pick a campground in a quite area, where few other campers were located. The ones that were there had families, so much more grounded. I had a blast.

12. wilssm

wilssm New Member

I live by the same creed I can't stand to see someone throw a gum wrapper on the ground, and I taught my sons the same way, upon arriving at the campground on our last trip and finding the fire pit full of paper plates and beer bottle tops my 10yr old asked why do people have to be such pigs and then he helped me clean it up (great kid)
    Wilssm

13. Tyreguy

Tyreguy Member

This particular topic burns be up with the s**t that I find everytime/where we camp. Screws/nails in the trees, small live trees that have been hacked down for firewood, untold amounts of burned trash in the firepits, and a layer of trash floating in the water in the pit toilets.
    Doesn't matter if its a private CG or state (although the state CG's are far worse), the irresponsible (read: I don't give a crap) campers are giving us a black eye in terms of environmental stewardship.

Over the last several years, I've gotten into the habit of always taking an extra trashbag to clean up the site before we get set up. And I usually fill it. Between the firepit, and the ground around the site, I get to pick up everybody elses burnt and broken bottles, cans, lids, cigarette butts, bread ties, candy wrappers, cigarette packs, plastic forks, propane bottle lids, kids drink tops, etc...and it pisses me off.

I do this because A. I don't want anybody looking upon me as 'that camper' that left the mess they found, and B. I don't want to camp in somebody elses trash dump they left behind.

14. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Plastic, glass, and alluminum in the fire pit is something that really chaps me. Burning plastic is just nasty.....and really, you think your fire is going to be hot enough to turn your aluminum and glass into ash?

Overwhelmingly, I would say I've had mostly positive experiences in RE to campsites being clean when we arrive, especially at SPs and NPs (Mather CG at the Grand Canyon seemed virtually spotless)....but occasionally the above is encountered. We tend to have more issues at larger national forest service CGs....the smaller ones (10 or less sites) usually seem pretty well cleaned up. We always police our site prior to departure.

15. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I simply don't understand the people who think that a fire pit is a trash/garbage can. I've found aluminum, glass, plastic, oil cans and even egg shells. To me, finding this crap left behind is the other person clearly saying, "I don't care about anyone else. Let them clean up my trash because I'm too important to do it myself." If I had one of them in front of me my answer would be, "You're an irresponsible pig and you should be banned from all campsites forever."

16. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

Burning what you shouldn't can also introduce Bad Stuff to ground water. Just put it in a trash bag and be done with it. Seeing partially burned paper in a fire ring tells me that in addition to being a slob, the last guy also doesn't care about fire safety.

For those of you that hike, take along a small ziplok bag for your trash. I usually keep mine in a pants pocket so I can quickly add whatever trail litter I see.

17. Pilot371

Pilot371 Member

Same motto here - we always leave it cleaner than we find it.
    Another thing we always do, is shovel out the firpit. - amazing all the non burnt crap in there.
    We are a camping pick adn shovel and it works great.

Good for picking all the beer caps out of the ground as well

18. EileanT

EileanT New Member

Two of my three kids are scouts... One Boy and one just flying up to Junior Girl Scouts. On a recent drive through Virginia we stopped at a park that is across the river from Mount Vernon. The parking lot that was closest to the water was a class one mess... Lauren decided (on her own!!! SOOOOO Proud) to clean up the parking lot while my husband was in the bathroom. She collected 3 walmart (tee shirt bag) size bags of trash in only a few minutes. This is unbelievable... how much of a mess can a few people make???? There were deer in the park less than 100 feet away... how awful. Lauren was so proud to have "saved the deer" But the fact that it needed to be done is Wrong.

19. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

In addition to CGs another thing that really irks me is litter along the roads. Every so often I see litter patrols cleaning up the sides of the roads and the massive volume of stuff they gather is absolutely unbelievable. The number of people tossing crap out of their car windows has to be astronomical to create that much volume. After all these years of public campaigns against litter I have to wonder who these people are and where their heads are. I think that in addition to a huge a fine for littering the punishment should include 100 hours of picking up litter.

20. The Postman

The Postman You gotta love Camping!!

These two things are a real symptom of one of the main problems with our society today. People have no respect for others any more. We used to clean ditches to raise money for our boys club, and you would not believe the number of used diapers we would find. Why on earth would you feel it is OK to just throw something like that out your car window, or leave your campsite a mess for someone else to clean up I will never know.