Leaving the site nicer than when you got there

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by brianbigdogsmith, May 27, 2012.

1. rawlus

rawlus New Member

Around here the sheriffs will often have a crew of low-risk inmates doing roadside cleanups... I wish they did that far more extensively, good source of labor and gets them productive instead of watching tv.

I've done cleanups as a volunteer as part of adopt-a-highway programs too, but I think the prison road crew is the better way to go. Unlimited supply of labor.

2. top magoo

top magoo New Member

my kids know that EVERY time we're packing up, they have to each find 10 trash items (that we didn't bring) before we can leave. i don't have to remind them any more that they'll have to pick up the juicebag-straw-wrappers, etc...

we need these commercials again

[​IMG]

3. AZbubs

AZbubs Member

X2

Tom - You remember me at the AZ rally picking up trash from former occupants as well. I do think that pigs are cleaner than most of these Troglodytes that have this 'throw away' mindset. I have been known to call people on it as well. It just sickens me. [:(O]

4. Andromedarl

Andromedarl New Member

I always have a scavenger hunt for my kids when we camp, and usually one of the items is 40 pieces of garbage. They also usually have to find 10-20 beer caps. Easy way to get them to help pick up trash :).

5. madfireball

madfireball New Member

Always! We have even had sites with the concrete pad and sweep it before we leave. I DO NOT want the next guy complaining that I left trash or what ever behind. I did leave some fishing poles behind once put I don't think they would have complained about that.

6. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

Leaving our CS Monday, I found some slobs had tossed their garbage bag and 3 beer bottles (one broken) in front of the dumpster - which had the door wide open besides. Next to the bag was a pile of baked potatoes! How disgusting, lazy, and rude/stupid. I just couldn't leave it there and tossed their junk in the dumpster while I tossed mine. Really irritating! I could see the Chief's tear. [:(]

7. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

This is something I learned from my father when we first started camping when I was a boy. The last thing you do after you have packed up the camp is police the camp site. You leave it cleaner than you found it. We still do this every time we are out.

8. PaulinBawlmer

PaulinBawlmer I'm a traveling man ஃ

I'll bet I know what happened here, because I witnessed it myself recently: some asshat tossed the bag *at* the dumpster as they drove by, and missed the opening. When I saw some slob do it a couple trips ago, the passenger actually looked me in the eye as they rolled past, their detritus laying on the ground in front of the dumpster. I yelled "really??" and they just kept on rolling.

They were dragging a toyhauler TT, not a pup not that it means anything. Unless it does.

9. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

I always leave the site cleaner than when I got there. Unfortunately, almost all CSs have some type of debris on the ground and/or firepit. The worst was at South CG at Zion NP in Utah. There were food scraps and wrappers all over the site. This place attracts tourists instead of hard core campers.
    Honestly, I see trash along the road in my own neighborhood. Too much junk food is being consumed by Americans. I agree with UT, littering does not reflect well on the person.

10. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

This pic of one of my favorite places I post as often as I can .... and I know it looks like a Gypsy camp ... stuff everywhere! But do note (if you can see it) that leaning up against the rear rack of the p'up is a rake, one of those closing, telescopic types, and quite often a camp site requires a clean up on arrival. For sure, when breaking camp, the site is raked and left squared away for the next occupant.

[​IMG]

11. IVBENS

IVBENS New Member

I agree with this topic, but I think we are "preaching to the choir" as they say. I get the feeling those of us on this forum and mainly those of us who chose to read this topic, are not the offenders. What'd be nice is if campgrounds had a method of visiting a site when you checked out to see if any type of debris was left behind, then charge accordingly. A security deposit up front would get people on board. Will it happen? Not likely I know, but we won't change people's bad behavior unless they have something to lose. Staring someone down because they leave a pile outside the dumpster won't do it, they have already proven that they have low morality, so my look of disgust toward them is something they are probably used to.

12. Kutseena

Kutseena Running with the wolves

[SUN] So sad. My son and I went camping this past weekend at our favorite boondock site in the Jemez Mtns. of NM. You could tell that Memorial Day wekkend had just past. There was an unbelievable amount of trash of all types and human waste through out the area. I just don't understand these type of people. We all head to the mountains for its natural beauty and to relax. Why do people feel comfortable leaving a mess behind? Our next big problem will be forest fires. I have put out countless campfires that have been abandoned in the forest. If money allowed I would love to see the Woodsy Owl and Iron Eyes Cody commerials aired again. Maybe some people would think twice about trashing the wilderness.

13. rawlus

rawlus New Member

One of the cost drivers of private campgrouds , at least the few we go to when not at sate parks, is that many take excellent care of sites after check out.... At one, as soon as you check out, the office is on the radio and young kids are at the site raking and leveling it so that there is not even a footprint, the fire ring is emptied into an ash bin on their golf cart and then the ring is stood up so it won't collect leaves or debris while waiting for the next camper. They do a thorough policing of the site as they rake and just do an excellent job, while their job may be easier on some sites than others.. It is an advantage to those just arriving knowing that their site will be in good order.

State parks haven't been too bad for us, they have crews that help prep sites but either not as many helpers or not enough energy to do as good a job as some of the private cgs we visit again and again.

14. Randini

Randini New Member

I understand there are campers who leave a site (and nature) like their own private trash can. But there are also those like many of us on here that aren't like that. I guess the best I, and my wife, can do is lead by example for our little boys. We look over the site before, during, and after we are/were there.

Leave it better than you found it!

15. Grizzly_Wayne

Grizzly_Wayne Member

I was in Scouts for 24 years, as a kid and adult leader. From day one, my scoutmaster pounded into our heads to leave it better than we found it. And we always did. Even today, when me and the wife go canmping, i find myself policing the area before we leave, trying to make it cleaner. Just good camping sense.

16. ripopuptwins

ripopuptwins It's All Good

Leave only footprints. Take only memories.
    PEACE!

17. Hanvee3

Hanvee3 New Member

I just got back from Bon Echo Provincial Park and found that they too have mops at the comfort stations. What a great idea!

Bon Echo is also one of the few parks with thrash cans all over the park. It is considerably cleaner as a result.

Just cant say enough about my favourite camping location -- Bon Echo.

18. Rockwood Guy

Rockwood Guy New Member

I have a rule with my kids (4 & 8) to pick up at least three pieces of leftover trash before we leave a site. One of the last times out, we had to leave when it was raining. Right before we were about to leave the boys shouted "Stop! We didn't pick up the trash!" They got out in the rain and took care of business. [:D]

19. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

I'm with you there Hanvee, love Bon Echo, and the mops at the showers were great to have available.

20. mnebinger

mnebinger Livin' The Dream!

As a Cub Scout Leader, I always preach Leave No Trace. And since I talk the talk, I always walk the walk.

Back in September, as I was checking out of a National Rec Area campground, I let the hosts know that there was a problem with the water spigot at one of the sites. It wasn't my site, but I saw the fire smoking on our way out so I stopped and DS and I used cups to pour water on the fire. The host actually told me I should have just let it smoldering [?:~{]

With all the news of wildfires lately, why would they want me to let the fire burn? Makes no sense to me! [:(!]