Leaving the site nicer than when you got there

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by brianbigdogsmith, May 27, 2012.

1. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn New Member

Twice in the past year I have not been able to find so much as a bread tie to pick up when arriving. It is such a pleasure to arrive at a clean site!

2. MD Saga

MD Saga Pop-up journeymen

We stayed at a private campground last month, and I was amazed at the amount of beer cans and bottles, bottle caps, and general trash that was thrown into the bushes. We got most of it and even brought the recyclables home with us. With a cub scout and two girl scouts, 'leave no trace' is our SOP. The state parks seem to be much cleaner, at least where we've been.

The most annoying thing we see in droves are the dang clear cellophane straw covers from the juice bags. They seem to be everywhere. [:(!]

3. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

We always leave anywhere we go better if we can....I have been known to pick up trash outside a store....and I have also picked up stuff dropped, and give it back to the person who dropped it...

4. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

We always leave the site in immaculate condition. We often even leave left over firewood piled up nice for the next campers!

5. blackbear

blackbear We want to do this for a living !!!

Thank the Lord for people like yourself that pick up after others. Think what it would be like if nobody was picking up after those less considerate. The firewood is also a kind thing to do and believe that most people notice and appreciate your kindness. [A]

6. Mr_Custom

Mr_Custom Member

those cellophane straw covers from the juice boxes are the worst! and the most frequently spotted on teh ground. I am dumbfounded that people just leave this stuff behind. Provincial parks seem to be the cleanest I have seen but it may just be the parks I frequent or the specific sites.

7. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Most CGs do not cleanup ash from fire rings. If inches deep, I clean it out myself.

8. wabbott

wabbott New Member

Since 1969 when I joined the Boy Scouts. I don't think it is a Scout original but preached to us regularly and what I have followed camping by foot/tent or car or camper.

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time.

9. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

I can say that we've cleaned up a many site we have setup on. I just don't understand why the people before us won't bend their back and pick up their crap! Before we leave a site that's one thing we do. We walk over the site and pick up any trash lying around. I really don't like it when there's trash thrown in the firepit and left either. We cook over the pit and I don't like having cig. butts, beer tops, plastic cups and paper plates in there. I guess this is also the reason why our roadsides looks the way they do. Some folks just throw their trash right out of the window without a care. You wouldn't believe the trash we pickup out of our front yard every week. We need tougher litter laws. What happen to the love for the land?

Campit

10. Wenchinwaiting

Wenchinwaiting New Member

I am a camp host for TPWD and have found many wonderful things. Though my dad has the best story of all. While picking up trash at Guadalupe SP in the parking lot of pea gravel and sand my father finds a loose diamond that had fallen out of its set. He did not think it was real and proceeded to scratch the back window of this Alpenlite trailer to test it. Sure enough it left over a inch long scratch. He took it to office lost and found, however nobody ever claimed it so my father was given it back. He did have it tested as well...he keeps it in a cigar box with all his other treasures including plastic army men, plastic twist tops off cool-aid bottles, which he did not know what they were. My mom has found and returned college class ring and other amazing things. We love picking up trash. The bits of change we do find is usually what we brag as our pay for the day.

11. badgamuss

badgamuss Member

I was recently at Ft. McAllister SP in Georgia and we had not even left the campground when one of the hosts came by and cleaned out the fire pit. Apparently they make sure the fire rings are cleaned up and ready for the next camper. Impressive.

12. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I've seen that at provincial parks in BC, too. Right after a camper leaves the host shows up on a little ATV thing stocked with rakes, shovels, trash bags, etc. He cleans the fire pit, rakes the whole site and wipes off the picnic table.

13. pcfeld

pcfeld New Member

We also live by the scout law of 'Leave no Trace'. It is standard policy for the boys to finish picking up any trash while I double check the trailer connections. I than pull out onto the road way and anything that may have been under the TV or PUP is picked up and the entire site is policed for trash.

14. kirksvillecamper

kirksvillecamper New Member

i haven't really had a problem with trashy campsites, but the first thing i do when i back up the pup is get out and check the site out just to see if there is any trash. i am a smoker so seeing butts on the ground dont bother me, but i do pick them up and throw them in the trash when we leave.i always try to leave the site a little better then it was when i got there. and i always remind my daughter of that.

15. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

We also experienced that at a county park. We arrived early and had to wait until our site was cleaned! A gal in a uniform had an ATV filled with supplies and was raking and sweeping the sites. I was so surprised. We always pick up after ourselves and keep the site tidy... then police the site before we leave, but like so many have mentioned, we've found messes when we've arrived.