LED Lights Flicker

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by tarawes8182, May 12, 2020.

1. tarawes8182

tarawes8182 New Member

Hi everyone... During our last camping trip I noticed that when the water pump comes on the LED's in the trailer flicker. Our first trip of the season (a few weeks back) we were on shore power and didn't notice any issues so this seems to be on the DC side? I checked battery level (about 90% at the time) and the connections but all were good. Since this was only during DC anyone have any ideas where this could be coming from?

I've read on the ForestRiver forums that someone posted it was the pump and LED's on the same circuit and that the company uses junk for wires (which I would mildly agree on). However; we have had this trailer since 2017 and this is the first issue with lighting so I don't think that would be the issue.

Our PUP lives in the garage so raising it to check small things isn't really an option. We have a boondocking trip coming up soon so I plan on pulling it out on the weekend and running down my list of probable causes. So far I'm thinking loose connection on the ground/frame or into the converter. I plan on pulling it and checking before the trip. Currently my setup is 2 group 24 batteries (interstate) at 100AH each in parallel and a WFCO WF-8735 converter.

Has anyone had this problem and found a solution? Or any other ideas I haven't thought of? The disco while washing dishes or showering at night is becoming a little much. Thanks in advance!

2. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Do they seem to flicker "in tune" with the pump's sound? The pump osculates and I wonder if during the pressure phase it pulls just enough current that the voltage drops below the threshold for the LEDs and they flicker. Or, like you say, perhaps a loose ground on the pump circuit pulling higher amps.

3. tarawes8182

tarawes8182 New Member

Thanks @generok

They do flicker in tune with the pump. So each oscillation the pump makes, the lights will dim and then full again in-between. So it is definitely happening on the power draw portion of the pump.

4. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Likely just time for a cleanup. I'd start with the ground connections, both at the tongue and under the converter, then the battery posts. Take them apart, clean off any rust/corrosion and polish them till they are bright and shiney. And check the prongs on the inline fuse at the battery, they can corrode also. All this can be done without raising the camper.

5. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Can you monitor the battery voltage while this is happening? It is possible also that the pump could be getting electrically noisy.

6. tarawes8182

tarawes8182 New Member

@SteveP ; Thanks and sorry for delay. I checked the connection on the trailer for ground and was clean/tight. Same for my battery studs. It's a tight squeeze to get in the trailer with top down to pull the converter so I'm gonna need to wait. I have a 4 port 12v USB outlet I plan on installing so I'll do that when I pull the converter on the next trip.

@tombiasi , I do have some volt meters but they're wired up away from where I can see. Plus they're the cheapo Amazon ones so I'll prob bring my meter. This pump has been a real pain since the beginning. First the leaks and then it broke off its mount so i had one with some L brackets and 1" rubber standoffs. I'll try to snap a pick while I'm under there.

Thanks for the suggestions. Its not a huge electrical system so should be able to figure this out eventually.

7. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sounds like a new pump is in order.

8. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

No need to pull the converter. The ground connection is under the trailer on the inside of the frame rail near the converter.