led lights under pop up

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by mntbiker2008, Jul 16, 2019.

1. mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 New Member

First time posting, long time lurker here to the forum! We bought a 95 Viking pop up a few months ago. I am in the process of completely remodeling it as it had a lot of water damage. I was thinking about doing some of these LED rock lights that you would put under a truck. The main goal is to be able to see around the trailer at night so nobody trips on anything at night. Also thought it would be something fun and a good way for the kids to spot our camp. Anyone ever install something like this? I was just going to wire them to a switch and then to the battery. [​IMG]

myride and HappyTraveler like this.
  2. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

I think that those would do a good job of what you are trying to accomplish. Very little light spillage, there are a lot of people who are almost hyper-sensitive to this topic, not that I am in that camp specifically. We run a rope light across the rear, under the bunk, and that illuminates the immediate area below, where we end up storing our chairs, firewood, etc. That has been enough light to keep us from tripping over stuff nearby as well. Install should be pretty easy I would think, good luck with your project!

3. mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 New Member

Yes. I definitely don't want to disrupt fellow campers with a big flood light. Like you said, I don't think these would cause too much illumination much past the PUP.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I like it, quite low key and less likely to be obnoxious like some campers I see.

5. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

Looks cool! And you can change the colors!

6. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  7. 1REDBEARD

1REDBEARD Active Member

It's pretty cool... I'm in the process of doing the led strip lights underneath.

8. hometownhiker

hometownhiker Active Member

I like it, I might give it a try.

9. AScott

AScott New Member

Those are really cool. If I were installing these I would use the red. I think it would be least intrusive and it wouldn't mess with people's night vision the way white light does.

Stealing this idea for sure.

Blackripley likes this.
  10. Chloe

Chloe Active Member

I like it! Might have to do this... but may just try some rope light to see if I like it.
    I bought some $1 solar light stakes and used them around our side tent on our trip this month. They're not very bright... but most of them died in the rain storm we had.

11. Spaceace5150

Spaceace5150 Active Member

How do you connect them to the battery? Great idea!

12. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

and i thought i was so cool using battery /timer Micro led string lites taped to frame. you went full out!

13. lot_lizard

lot_lizard New Member

I did this same thing last year. Your setup is fancier. Mine is only 4 lights and no “mood” light on the iPhone. That could be fun

It has been nice for the reasons you mentioned. My daughter is younger, and we turn these on when we head to the bath house at night. She is comforted by seeing the right way back to the camper, and makes the steps a breeze.

People always comment about them the next day. I’d do it again knowing what’s involved and the benefits from it.

14. kennedyma

kennedyma Member

I did the same thing with our PUP. Used the less fancy version as well. Great upgrade and would do it again in a heartbeat. Keep the lights inside the frame rails and you will have minimal light spillage.

Here are the ones I used.
    4 Pods LED Rock Lights, Ampper Waterproof LED Neon Underglow Light for Car Truck ATV UTV SUV Jeep Offroad Boat Underbody Glow Trail Rig Lamp (White) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H7FGO46/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_sF93DbP37R9VV

15. Signguy707

Signguy707 Member

I have it...its great. Just gives off subtle light so you can see your camper and gives off enough light so you are not tripping on anything around your popup.

16. Dan_Wyo

Dan_Wyo New Member

I use battery powered "puck lights" that I have modified with Velcro for use inside the pup and magnets for outside use. They have a remove controller for turning them on, adjusting brightness or you can just tap them and they turn on. I put the outside ones near the door for the 2AM trip to the outhouse. The advantage is you can put them where the are needed and are fairly cheap. Keeping track of the remote is easier than standing in the dark looking for the ceiling light and switch. I also stick a couple on the truck at night in case the wife "hears a noise".
    https://www.amazon.com/Cabinet-Ligh...powered+wireless+light&qid=1578514481&sr=8-47

Very flexible solution for a night light.

17. Mat Kyne

Mat Kyne Member

I was 90% of the way there on a similar idea. I have a lot of experience with LED lights and drivers. I was in the middle of replacing my trailer lights with LED ones when it donned on me that I didn't have to install new lights, there were already lights mounted on my pop-up. The road lights. So I installed a LED driver (for dimming) and a switch to the fuse panel and just like that, I have area lights.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vGPZZT5GmeydNEs68