LED lights?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by cajunsticker, Jan 22, 2009.

1. cajunsticker

cajunsticker New Member

Has anyone switched their lights to LED? Do they even make such a thing? I was thinking that it would be good for extended boondocking during hunting season.

2. Twisty

Twisty New Member

Check out the electrical forum - tons of info!

http://www.popupportal.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13258&FORUM_ID=51&CAT_ID=18&Topic_Title=New+Led+Light&Forum_Title=Electrical+%2D+Site+Power%2FBatteries%2FGenerators%2FSolar

2004 Fleetwood Utah w/slide
    2006 Ford Ranger 4x4 Ext. Cab
    www.CWhatIC.net

3. cajunsticker

cajunsticker New Member

Thanks,

That's exactly what I wanted.

4. dirtyboy

dirtyboy New Member

Cajun, I just picked up some lights from Autolumination that are pretty bright.....

I have one that is 96 LEDs that I am going to use for a porch/scare light and a 24 led light to use for a dome inside....

I also have some motion activated spot LEDs inside for additional lighting over the table and kitchen areas.....

I would start here http://autolumination.com/fixtures.htm

Try it in a Toyota!
    '74 Coleman Yorktown under construction......
    Tow Rigs =99 Toyota 4runner and 93 Pickup (Rockcrawler)

5. Mr_Custom

Mr_Custom Member

In our pup I changed one of 2 bulbs in each of the overhead lights to the LED arrays. When we have street power I leave both intact; when we dry camp I pull the incandescent bulbs to conserve power. It has worked well so far. Eventually I will probably change them all out.

Mr_Custom (Rick)
    2005 Chev Trail Blazer -2003 Coleman Sun Valley

6. riverwalker

riverwalker New Member

7. Richard

Richard Take kids camping. It's great for you and them.

I have the delusions that I will do some dry camping (no hookups) and that conserving battery power will be important. Still, I find the prices of 12-volt LED bulbs that will go into the 1156 socket in my dome lights to be way too high.

I picked up a LED array in Lowes (in the light bulb isle) for $8.99 plust tax. It is designed to replace a halogen bulb in landscape lighting. It is 12-volt, though the package doesn't say so.

I took the old 1156 bulb down to just the brass, and did a little engineering to create a two-prong socket within it. I put the base in, and the LED array plugs right in. Almost as much nice white light, and no heat. I love it.

Here's the engineering. I had a female CATV outlet in my junk box. This one wasn't a double female, but instead had a lead in the center to attach the center wire of the coax. I trimmed this down to a small nub. I covered the bottom with a disc of electrical tape, with the nub sticking through the center. I reamed out the hole in the bottom of the 1156 brass and inserted the female CATV outlet end. The nut that came with it went on inside the brass to hold everything tight.

One leg of the LED bulb/Array plugs into the center hole, and the other rubs against the threads of the female end. It works great and stays in place.

8. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

We replaced all our camper lights with LEDs. Love them. Light is as bright and same color balance as the bulbs they replaced, but they don't add heat, and running every light at once, including outside ones, draws much less power than any single bulb they replaced. If you do lots of boondocking and dry camping, it's the way to go.

9. Richard

I'm working to get things ready for boondocking in the Cherokee Nat'l forrest by next season (Maybe this season). You have inspired me Travelhoveler.

10. screwballl

screwballl Stimulus Package

As time and money provide, I plan to start replacing all the bulbs on my pup to LEDs. I will be starting with the brake lights since the ones on there now are so dim it is hard to see during the day.

11. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

You're going to love it. And don't forget the Pisgah, Nantahala, and George Jefferson national forests just over the line in North Carolina and Virginia.

12. Richard

I've got to get the "food smells" out of the camper too (curious bear phobia). Not sure if that's possible. I've used the stove, etc. inside a lot over the years. Never planned to take the PUP beyond the campgrounds when I did that. Oh well...

13. austinado16

austinado16 Proud Starcraft Owner

4 seasons ago, I replaced all 4 of our ceiling bulbs (2 per fixture) with the "warm white" 92 lumen 9LED 1156 boards from www.superbriteleds.com. I also replaced the porch light with their amber 16LED 1156 board. They've all held up well and the light output and color spectrum is excellent.