LED replacement bulbs question

The Wargos

Sep 6, 2008
Pasadena, Maryland
We plan on several "boon-docking" trips and will be relying upon battery power (just replaced two brand new deep cycle batteries... so good to go on that). One way to reduce the power demand is to replace the standard incandecent dome lamps with LED. However, the few that I found on line were VERY expensive! Does anyone have a source for less expensive LED lamps for type 1141 or type 1003?

Also, they have cool white and warm white styles of LEDs.... does anyone have a preference.... will we like the look and the amount of light? Thanks in advance for your input.

kmh1596

Wilbraham, MA
Aug 20, 2007
Western MA
I have been talking back and forth with the owner of KeyrazyLEDs.com.. Joe is a very cool guy, and although I haven't yet made the big purchase I'll be doing when I'm able, his prices are VERY reasonable, and he's answered MANY, and I mean MANY technical questions, as well as just usual uestions about LEDs, as far as draw vs incandescent, etc... VEry knowledgeable guy, and beyond helpful.

Right now, his mother is ill and he's taken a step away from the business until she's better. He did tell me I'm one of his top priorities upon his return. That's not essential to me, but this guy cares about his customers. If and when you decide to contact him, let him know Kevin H from MA referred you, and that the lights are for your camper, he'll know who sent you. Once I get my install done, I plan to post pics up on his site (you can join, and be a posting member), as all that's on there now is motorcycles and car LEDs. [:(O]

The Wargos

Sep 6, 2008
Pasadena, Maryland
Kevin... thanks for the information. Since you have already asked all the pertinent question - you now are the "expert" that will be able to "shed some light" (pun intended) on this topic.

My head was spinning from looking at all the various forms LED lamps are available. They have light cards with two way tape to stick to the inside of the reflector and tower type that have them all the way around and on the very end. I have not seen the type of light the various bulbs produce, so it is VERY hard to make a decision. From what you have gleened in your research, have you decided on the type/style that would be both reasonably priced AND have warm light effects?

kmh1596

Wilbraham, MA
Aug 20, 2007
Western MA
Well, being I was unsure, hes actually going to send me one or two of the "defective" socket bulbs that have ~36leds wrapped around and on the end (in the shape of a regular car bulb), so I can see if they reflect well off of the chrome lens housing, as well as down through the lens; I think they will.

My biggest hesitation was the warranty that SuperbrightLED had (1 year) vs his that wasn't listed. He said he'll gladly match their warranty.
My plan was to pick up some of the ~24led panels, as well as the ~36led setup shaped like a bulb, and see which worked better. He was going to send me a few of the defective ones that had 1 or two bulbs out, that he had warrantied. IT would stand to reason that it would be a bit brighter, being quite a few of them are reflecting off of the chrome/mirror surface of the light housing, and the rest if shining through the lens itself..

As for Warm white light, I think we're both out of luck.. [:(] Everything he had was Super White, I wonder if the Warm White LEDs aren't as bright or something.. Very rarely do you find them available for this type of application. Even the ones on ebay, (a few Hong Kong ads) say they "made a mistake on the listing" when you email to confirm they are indeed Warm White. Just a way to attract more buyers.. [B)]

The best thing is, for ALL of the bulbs I wanted (in sockets, some accent lights on the cabinets, outside underneath in a few spots, totaling out to a LOTTTT of LEDs) I was still under what ONE Incandescent bulb would draw.. Unbelievable!

This thread may be of some help to you as well: http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=23878.0

I won't have them here and/or installed for another month or two, so unfortunately I won't have concrete results for a little while.. :( The funds to purchase the package I wanted (only ~$100, VERY cheap for all of the items I was getting) are up and coming. [;)]

The Wargos

Sep 6, 2008
Pasadena, Maryland
Thanks Kevin and Will,
All the various types of bulbs blows my mind and you provided some direction for me to search and purchase. I'll need about five lights total for the domes and porch light, and seeing as they are so expensive, "y'wanna make the right choice."

arffch

May 25, 2009
tulsa,ok.
Porch light? Look no farther than your local auto parts store. Amber clearance lights work in place of the yellow porch light. I put three on my frame so the light would be on the groung not in my eyes when sitting by my [PU]. work great and are replacable IF one does goes south. I also put some inside for "floor lighting" one on each end gets it pretty bright inside! Good luck!!!!

RFryer

Hopkinton, MA
Mar 10, 2009
Hopkinton, MA
We bought a couple of "puck" type stick-on LED lights at Walmart for about $5 each since I couldn't find our bulb style in LEDs. They run on AAAs and do the job for us.

Ray

bearair

Mar 11, 2009
Eau Claire, WI
I bought some outdoor solar lights that look like lanterns. I just put them outside during the day so they can charge then bring them inside at night. I hang them with a piece of string and a wire hook.

The Postman

You gotta love Camping!!
Jul 20, 2009
Wishing I was at Waskesieu!!
Being the cheap guy that I am, I to have been looking for a cheaper way to get LED light in the trailer when boondocking. Those stick on LED lights work very well, and the price has dropped considerably in the last little while - they have become a very affordable option for doing LED on the cheap!!

screwballl

Stimulus Package
Aug 7, 2009
FL
Nordic440 said:
I replaced all my bulbs with LEDs, only cost me about $48. With all them on (6) amp draw was under 1A!!! The old bulbs where 1A each!

the question is... where?

I looked on the google shopping area and you can find all sorts of 12V LED bulbs on therefor around $5 each...

Nordic440

Aug 4, 2009
Welland, Ontario.
I have these ones

http://cgi.ebay.ca/921-912-194-168-COOL-WHITE-15-LED-WEDGE-BASED-BULB_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em14Q2el1262QQhashZitem53dc4f1bb5QQitemZ360178457525QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQQsalenotsupported

http://cgi.ebay.ca/18-LED-1156-WH-Bulb-Car-Light-Tail-Stop-Brake-Rear-Lamp_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em14Q2el1262QQhashZitem3ca4a8ac7cQQitemZ260460555388QQptZLHQ5fDefaultDomainQ5f0QQsalenotsupported

Nordic440

Aug 4, 2009
Welland, Ontario.
I love them, the light output is good but a different spectrum of light then a normal bulb, but you get used to it. I could run all the lights for 2 weeks off my 29 series battery! the power savings alone is great if your dry camping (boondocking)

screwballl

Stimulus Package
Aug 7, 2009
FL
I will definitely look into them when I get a battery setup (doesn't have one now) and will need to conserve juice...

sproogal

Pigeon Forge TN camper
Aug 14, 2009
Spencer, Indiana
screwballl said:
I will definitely look into them when I get a battery setup (doesn't have one now) and will need to conserve juice...

I hope you got my PM, but it is too good not to share! Here is the link http://malimish.com/blog/2009/02/12/our-portable-battery-bank/

campfixer

Aug 13, 2008
The Where:

Check out http://www.superbrightleds.com

They have a vast selection and links to companies that build custom leds. They make a square led board that has an adaptor that fits the #1156 or #1157 style automotive bulb sockets like the older ceiling lights. The panel installs with double sided tape.

bobhcs

Colorado Springs
Apr 13, 2008
Colorado Springs
I've also ordered from superbrightleds.com several times and have been very happy with their service. LED's are still pretty expensive but are great for conserving power. I would never go back to regular incandescent bulbs in the camper. The light is also very nice.