LED's for interior lights

Discussion in 'Lighting, Interior and Exterior' started by ak_nd, Aug 16, 2010.

1. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Hey Eastbeast and bradnailer, the StarLights 921 wedge bulbs work great! I can not believe I paid that much for light bulbs. Cheaper than buying a good generator.

2. EastBeast

EastBeast NO soup for you!

Pretty sweet eh [A]

3. Kinni-kid

Kinni-kid New Member

In reading the replies I've noticed that there have been some distinct differences between the multiple suppliers of LED alternatives for interior lighting. The choices between surface mount type (SMT) and "bulb" style seem to be the first choice. Then the color of the light (white, cool warm, etc.) With "warm" appearing to be the one that most resembles an incandescent bulb). Then the issue of lumen comparison as well as excessive heat generated.

Has anyone sorted this out? I have checked out Tweety's, SuperBrightLED's and Autolumination.com. Each of these websites have numerous choices. Can anyone recommend the SMT (flat plate style with an array of LED's) vs. the bulb style LED for interior bulb replacement? Also, the number of LED's in an SMT or bulb style to most closely imitate an incandescent bulb?

It appears that the SMT style replacement [http://autolumination.com/906.htm] would be better than a multi-directional bulb, but I have no experience with either. Any suggestions?

4. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

I have no experience with it at all. But I do not like the led light white ... hurts my eyes. Have one of those miner head lights that I like to wear around camp site after dark and it has the option of either LED white or red and then a regular bulb for distance. I so much prefer the regular light.

5. sandyaker

sandyaker Rock Hill, SC

Hey EastBeast,
    Where did you get your Starlight bulbs? Those look interesting.
    Scott

6. Kinni-kid

Kinni-kid New Member

7. ak_nd

ak_nd New Member

We have replaced all our lights with these ones and are very happy. We did a 5 day boondock trip and had some battery left! We got an amber LED for the outside light.

The biggest problem we had was getting kids to turn off lights. We use solar BoGo flashlights that are LED's that we hook onto the shepherd poles too and they work really well. That helped save the overhead lights.

Good luck!

8. bconrey

bconrey Member

I bought two of these for the interior (we don't have bunk-end lights...yet) and couldn't be happier with the light output and the color of the light.

I also purchased an amber-colored replacement for the 1156 porch light (1156-PCB-A36) for $10. I selected amber over white because the lens for our porch light is clear. Light output is great, and it's pretty easy to spot our PUP with the amber LED array behind the clear lens. [:D]

9. wjhemtp

wjhemtp New Member

I went to the local RV Dealer and purchased some LED Lights for my pop up camper interior lights and I had the 1141 style lights and replaced them with 1156 which are supposed to be equal to the 1141 well they didn't fit so what is the number do I need to replace my 1141 style bulbs and will I need a brighter type LED or do I need to change out my fixtures if so where can I find replacements. [RTM]

thank you
    Jay

10. hakrjak

hakrjak Member

[CP]

I changed mine all to LED's after our 1st camping trip, where we used up the entire battery the 1st night. After LED's, I can usually dry camp for around 3 days without issue! Definitely worth the money!

11. greatdane1945

greatdane1945 New Member

I replaced the conventional filament bulbs with LEDs. More light; less 'juice' being used. Only problem...they make my (built-in) AM/FM radio 'buzz'! The more lights I turn on, the worse the 'buzz'. Anyone else have this problem? Suggestions to cure this problem?

12. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Those are the common "cool white" LEDs. The "warm white" LEDs have a color temperature that approximates light from incandescent bulbs.

We replaced our interior lights with the surface-mounted (flat plates with 9 LEDs) in warm white from SuperbrightLEDs.com. We can hardly tell any difference from the bulbs they replaced. We replaced the welcome light outside with a different form factor LED. Now we can hardly tell any effect on battery life even when running the bulbs whenever we want.

13. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

The geometry of the replacement LED was something I was wondering about. The LED's I have coming broadcast 180 degrees. I thought that was the right one to buy as some of the LED's available broadcast 360 degrees. Which even though the fixtures have a reflector on top, I thought just having the 180's was the way to go. Do the 360's work as well?

Phoodieman

14. sandyaker

sandyaker Rock Hill, SC

Just thought I would share...
    I just picked up a pair of LED Light Panels off of eBay for $2.59 each-shipping included.
    I know most everyone will say they are probably horrible and were not worth it...but for that price who cares? I figured for $2.59 if they don't work I'll just throw them away and count it as a life lesson. But...if they do work OK then I'm out a whole lot less than most.
    I'll try and remember to post a follow up on how they do after I get them installed and tested.
    Scott

15. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Here's a reminder to post that followup [8D]

Very interested in hearing what you find out, as that looks like a serious panel for a great price!

16. jshulenberger

jshulenberger New Member

17. FC

FC Central Florida

I use the PCB type flat circuit boards. They are warm white with 3100 kelvins.I think the lumans are from 92 to 150. Mine are from Command electronics. The light is the same as the regular bulbs with less amp draw and less temp.

18. sandyaker

sandyaker Rock Hill, SC

I got my $2.59 LED lights today in the mail.
    I didn't have time to set up the camper just to test them out but since they came with a couple of different ends I thought I would see if one would fit my dome light in my truck. I figured that would be a quick test just to see if they worked. First impression...holy crap they're BRIGHT! [8D]
    When I get a chance to install them in the camper and actually test them out correctly I will post again and let everyone know how they do.
    So far so good though.
    Scott

19. adamteja

adamteja New Member

20. jjsul

jjsul New Member

Sandy,

How many LED's in your new panel. I've seen everything from 6-48 at reasonable prices. Heck for $15 or less I can do the whole camper. I'd probably change the lenses on the fixture to the "ivory" rather than the clear.

Thanks,