Left brake/turn signal not working

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by frank00, May 25, 2019.

1. frank00

frank00 New Member

I have a 2006 Fleetwood Timberlake being towed by a 2008 Hyundai SantaFe. When the camper is connected to the tow vehicle the left brake/turn signal does not work. All the running lights work and the right brake/turn signal works. The 4-pin wiring adapter has been replaced on the camper and the one on the tow vehicle is brand new. Previously none of the brake and turn signals were working. I replaced the bulbs with LED ones and now the right brake/turn signal is working.

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

check for corrosion where the bulb goes in, also could be a ground problem,

3. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Does it show voltage at the TV plug left brake pin? Does it show voltage at the camper left brake light? Is it a two wire fixture or does the mounting screws ground it to the frame?

4. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Also remember that LED bulbs are sensitive polarity. Make sure the wires aren't swapped on the fixture.

5. erich82

erich82 Active Member

Check if there is voltage at the bulb connection on the trailer (with the signal light on). Plug in a multimeter, set it to 20VDC. Polarity doesn't matter as either way will show voltage, however because LEDs are diodes, they only work with the voltage one way (as opposed to incandescents; they don't care which way they go).
    If there is voltage, either your bulb is plugged in backwards, or the bulb is defective.
    If there is no voltage at the bulb connection, check if there is at the trailer wiring connection.
    If there is voltage there, then its between your bulb connector and trailer. Start at the bulb connection. Follow the wiring and check for splits, corroded wires, bad ground connection, and follow that wiring, checking voltage at any connector you find along the way.
    If there is no voltage at your trailer's connection, it's the tow vehicle's connector or wiring and follow the wiring until you find voltage.

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

When I had a light issue on my camper, I bought a test light and checked the connection on both the trailer pigtail plug and the cars. That way You can rule both plugs out as the issue and look at the actual light itself. On mine, it turned out I had a fuse blow on my tow vehicle,a simple fix, voilà I had lights. I would have been chasing it forever completely discounting my car if I didn’t test it.

7. Fless

Fless Active Member

Many truck-based tow vehicles have separate fuses for the trailer lights. My Tahoe has a fuse for the left turn signal / brake light, and a separate one for the right turn signal / brake light. Check fuses, and verify that the tow vehicle is sending the voltage to the 4-pin connector.

If that's good, remove the bulb from the trailer socket in question and test there without the bulb.

One thing I might add is, if you're using a non-digital voltmeter with an analog meter movement, the polarity setting and the way you connect your grounds WILL matter. If the polarity is wrong, the meter needle will swing the wrong way.
    _

neighbormike and jmkay1 like this.
  8. Fless

Fless Active Member

@frank00, it seems that your Santa Fe requires a converter for trailer lights. Are you sure that it's good? From your first post I see that the "wiring adapter" on the Santa Fe is brand new, but is that just the connector, or the whole converter?
    _