Left over firewood....take it or leave it?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by nudib, Jan 22, 2014.

1. bexcamps

bexcamps New Member

Yup, at Pyramid the bundles were $6.
    This last weekend at Bass Lake, there was already a giant bundle in our campsite but they are under strict fire restriction so it was pointless.

2. jlake

jlake Member

This past Monday as we were packing up to leave Jordan Lake SP I saw a man in a diesel crew cab truck going to EVERY unoccupied campsite and loading up all the wood that had been left. When we were pulling out we passed his site. Stacks of wood by his huge 5th wheel. He even had the tongue of his ski boat trailer propped up on a couple of bundles of wood. I was glad I had taken the rest of what I brought. I don't mind leaving it for the next person but not for a scavanger like that.

3. R00

R00 Active Member

When there are fire restrictions in CA campgrounds (often) many people who don't often camp pointlessly bring firewood. For some reason (perhaps they are disgusted because they can't have fire) they almost always leave it behind.

In these cases, I scoop that shizzle up on my way out. Every time. The way I see it I'm just cleaning up their fire hazard!

4. gruss

gruss Active Member

I'll take if it's close, i don't go looking...offer my leftovers to the neighbors or leave behind...but when I see one of these people, I have actually stopped packing up, put it all in the pit and dumped a can of lighter fluid on it and made sure he was looking when I tossed the cig in.

Not sure why those folks bother me so much...most stuff I just really don't care.

5. WingShot

WingShot New Member

Wow! Hating on campers that collect left over wood to burn. I agree, can't imagine why this would bother you. Appreciate you not yelling at my Wife next time she does it. [;)]

6. gruss

gruss Active Member

Nah you misunderstand, people who pull in and are obvious overnighters that scrounge the firepits don't bother me at all.

It's the hoarders, typically found in private campgrounds that drive around daily in their golf carts to collect wood that some camper left there trying to be nice to the next fellow camper, or the guys that pay the couple bucks to enter a SP for the day and drive around in their pickups grabbing anything not nailed down around checkout time.

7. jlake

jlake Member

There is a difference. When we got to our site there were several pieces of wood left there. Because of that I didn't have to burn all the wood we bought when we got there. Since we stayed till Monday there were a lot of empty spots Sunday night. I had noticed leftover wood at a good number of them. DW even mentioned that I should get some from the site next to us but since we had plenty I told her it will be there for the next camper. I would NEVER drive through a campground stopping at every empty site and loading my vehicle with leftover wood. That to me is just selfish and rude.

8. presyoung

presyoung New Member

Please leave firewood. Don't transport it far at all. I have been tracking gypsy moths and ash borers for years and they are almost always transported by campers hauling fire wood. I try to buy some from a local after we get near to camp. http://www.dontmovefirewood.org/

9. Momof2gems

Momof2gems New Member

In our province they don't want you to move firewood. Mainly because of the spreading of certain bugs to other parts of the province. So we either burn it all or leave it behind.

10. Black Bear

Black Bear Well-Known Member

We look for hardwood as close as possible to the CG.
    Usually, we have very little left over, so we leave it.

11. RugerRedhawk

RugerRedhawk Member

Personally I just burn it all up.

12. HappyFamily

HappyFamily Member

I think the real issue here is money.

If the firewood for sale wasn't so costly, people wouldn't consider moving it so often. But around here a small bundle is $5 and only lasts one or two days at most.

Now that is not a lot of money I know, but it adds up especially when you feel like the whole "bottle of water" issue at airports is upon you. Airports charge $5 for a bottle of water inside the terminal because they know you can't bring your own. So people like me bring an empty bottle and fill it up at the drinking fountain.

Perhaps campgrounds can offer a refund for any wood left over if you bring it to the office? I wonder how that would affect the moving of wood... [CF]

13. 4campers+g-kids

4campers+g-kids Member

Good idea, but don't hold your breath waiting for this to happen. Seems once any business gets ahold of your money getting it back takes the world to move.
    Around here that $5 wood that lasts maybe one fire. Some times the bundles at the CGs are worth it, most times we try to find a local guy. We typically spend $10-20 on wood each weekend trip, depending on the weather. So I do understand taking it with, but understand why it has to be left behind if we are far from home.

But I do think it's rude for people to scrounge wood from the CG. Especially if it's for making a profit. One place a friend went to confiscated his wood because it wasn't local/certified. After he set up come dark he went to buy wood from the CG. Guess what was sitting in the pile? That's about as low as one can get.

14. RugerRedhawk

RugerRedhawk Member

Agreed, the government can give out all the "don't move firwood" brochures and stickers they want, but with the high cost for camp store wood many are easily tempted. Personally I follow the rules, but I love when we are camping within the allowed range from my home because I can bring a ton of firewood and have nice hot fires all day long if I want to. When I travel I try to scout craigslist for somebody nearby selling at a reasonable rate.

15. M-88

M-88 Member

Usually where I go, the park rangers don't mind if you grab dead / broken trees. So that's what I do.

Usually walk around or take the bike, find some stuff, then bring it back and saw/split it.

On the way out, leave it for the next camper.

16. SmokeEater2

SmokeEater2 New Member

I live 64 miles from my favorite Forest Service CG. I cut my own firewood at home and take it with me, I checked with the forestry folks and explained where I lived and they are fine with it.

I take my vacation and go camping for 10 days in late September, And usually drive to the CG on a weekday and I'm almost always the only there that time of year, Until the weekend when a few campers come in and then they leave Sunday evening.

I have sometimes used wood from an empty adjacent site and I always leave what I have left stacked by the fire ring when I go home. I have seen other folks do the same thing and I have no problem with it.

17. bexcamps

bexcamps New Member

Since CA is in a serious drought, I'm actually surprised that any campgrounds still let you have open fires. Also, it's been freaking HOT this summer, so the need for a fire has been completely pointless.

18. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

You obviously don't know what a camp fire is for.

19. bexcamps

bexcamps New Member

Or I dont need one?

20. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

*You* may not need one but you said they are "completely pointless"