Left over firewood....take it or leave it?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by nudib, Jan 22, 2014.

1. bexcamps

bexcamps New Member

I stand corrected.
    They are not "completely pointless" but right now, we are in a serious drought and fire danger is very real and very serious. Last time I checked, we had what...10+ fires going on.
    I guess, just.....don't burn if you don't need/have to.

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Decent advice.

3. R00

R00 Active Member

You are aware the NorCal Pacific coast can drop down to low 50's even in summer?

Last month, Yosemite Valley saw snow. In JULY!

4. JeffC

JeffC New Member

If we only did what we "need/have to" there wouldn't be much camping. Thankfully we live in a country where we can do because we simply want to.

5. bexcamps

bexcamps New Member

I get it.

Perhaps I'm sensitive to this subject because where I live burns almost every year due to careless people.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

6. electronflux

electronflux Member

At the CGs I go to, the camp host goes around after guests leave and clean up any trash left behind. They also collect the left behind wood.

I asked the CG host what they do with the wood they collect. He said they burn it at their site.

7. theresah

theresah New Member

DH and I stayed at the cg a little longer to let the pup dry out. As we sat there, we were watching the camp host go around collecting fire wood. DH said he was not leaving it any more. My thought is if the host was nice let them have it. JMO

8. froggie

froggie New Member

Tradition dictates, ours anyway, fire wood left at vacated campsites is fair game. Leave what you don't use for the next camper.

9. parahuvians

parahuvians New Member

i say leave the wood! stack it neatly by the fire pit and i don't see a problem with it.

10. Aunt Ness

Aunt Ness Member

I wouldn't mind leaving it for the next camper on my site, but what I witness at some campgrounds is why I usually specifically give it to someone or I take it. This summer when a family left a pile of wood, it was like flies to honey by the other campers. Seriously, they must have been eyeing it as the family packed up. I don't think they had even left the campground when 2 or 3 guys came by toting as much as they could.
    I know you are not supposed to carry wood out, but if it's bundled and labeled bug free and kiln dried, I figure it is OK. I've camped in NY and the wood the store sells is from VT, it obviously crossed state line to get to NY.

11. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I'm with you. If I take my wood, I leave it. But if I go out of state and have to buy bug free wood and it's still in the package. Most of the time, I bring it home and store it for the next time I head out of state.

But back to the question: wood left at a camp site is for the first person that gets to it, until a new person moves into the site. Them it's theirs.

12. SqueaknMCrack

SqueaknMCrack Air Force Brat. Army Mom

NC asks that NO firewood be imported or exported... We have a Beetle issue. they are killing trees.

13. nitrohorse

nitrohorse Member

I've stayed in a private campground where the owner's sons drove around on a Gator and collected the abandoned firewood to resell it the next weekend. I have no issues with donating my excess wood to another family to enjoy, but I would rather burn all my wood than let it to the owners to continually resell it at a dollar a stick.Maybe I look at it wrong, but these are my feelings on the subject.

14. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Active Member

That CG Host's Son sounds like an enterprising young man to me.
    Not above a little manual labor to make a buck. Very lacking in today's youth.
    Good for him!

15. tombiasi

Maybe it wasn't his idea. :)

16. Hoosier Daddy

Now THAT sounds more like my Kids... [LOL]

17. nitrohorse

nitrohorse Member

The owner's sons were both in their mid 40's. They were prime examples of laziness. No youthful drive or exuberance in these two.
    In fact, one of the sons went to rehab for alcoholism. Now if he was selling wood to buy booze, then I applaud his commitment to his addiction and his resourcefulness. The father was creative too. He managed to hire his girlfriend and had her working in the camp store without his wife's knowledge. So yeah, I guess they were indicative of capitalism.

18. tombiasi

I don't think I would feel safe leaving my stuff unattended around these guys.

19. Hoosier Daddy

In the words of Paul Harvey "and now... the REST of the Story"
    [LOL]

20. nitrohorse

nitrohorse Member

I hope the details didn't change your opinion of them. The premise remains the same.