Left over firewood....take it or leave it?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by nudib, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Mimito12!

Mimito12! New Member

We try and burn it by the last day if possible. However, there have been times when our neighbors are leaving before us and offer it to us . We accept gratefully and then if there are neighbors around us when we leave, we offer our left over wood. Don't think I have ever gone looking for wood.

2. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

We usually look to see if there's a "camp guardian" - one of those people who camps for longer periods, in exchange for helping around the site - and offer any left-overs to them.

3. abuelita2jnj

abuelita2jnj New Member

I didn't check out the link,,,, but since I was a girl scout and have been camping longer than I will admit.. we were always taught that the proper and good camper thing to do was leave any left over wood for the next camper.

As for clearing the site, volunteers , etc. Again we were always taught to pick up everything that did not belong. It was always the last thing my Mom did before we pulled away, was to scour that site and if she found ANYTHING, you better watch out.

When we camp, we still clean up our site before we leave. Especially when camping in California, alot of the state parks are "carry in, carry out" leave no human footprint.

4. Trailer Toews

Trailer Toews New Member

We usually buy locally, but off site. Often we'll pick up a whole truck box full for the same price as a handful of packaged bundles! When done, we'll often leave a lot behind and still be ahead budget wise. Before we leave, I like to take a drive and find a family (more kids the better) that recently arrived and offer them the wood for free. The looks on their faces is often priceless and very much appreciated. :smiley:

5. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

I have done both.

I usually leave some in the NF CG where I bring a chainsaw, anything left I split and leave a Down Syndrome business card with some websites for information about DS (my son is blessed with DS, my DS has DS... lol), saying that I hope they enjoy the wood!!

Lately I burn mostly lumber scraps (non treated) and that packs back up in the pup, I always have 2-3 nights of wood in the pup and take another 3-5 nights worth in the TV.

I have come across quite a bit of wood left behind, many big logs so I keep an 8lb maul in the pup!!

If I know I have extra and a nearby camper has a smoky fire I'll offer them some good split wood to cut down the smoke of smoldering big logs.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  6. astronomynv

astronomynv 98 Starcraft Constellation 1021 TV 93 Ford Bronco

We buy all of our wood local and if we have any left over we leave it. We have a problem with these beetles that eat trees from the inside out. At first they weren't sure how they got around but after some studies they figured out they were being transplanted through firewood. So since then we decided from then on to buy local and leave it.

bsandey likes this.
  7. bsandey

bsandey Active Member

Never transport wood out of where it came from. There are too many issues already with invasive species that you increase the chance of transporting one to your next destination (or home) if you take left over wood with you. Besides, it's not that expensive, and I only buy what I feel I will be using during the weekend. If I have any left, it's just a few pieces out of a bundle.

astronomynv likes this.
  8. Kettlebelle

Kettlebelle Member

If we are ready to leave and have extra firewood, we offer it to a family nearby. If others pack up and leave and there is firewood, we send our kids to get it. :D

9. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

I'm not sure about National Forests, but around here in the State Parks, there are specific prohibitions on gathering firewood - even deadfall is part of the ecosystem, and needs to be left where it lands.

10. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

When I cut /trim trees on my property, I split and dry the wood then I carry it camping and use for firewood, the firewood I but in the state parks is usually green and all you get is a lot of smoke . When I leave if any is left I usually give it to another camper , in the summer I seldom have a fire unless I want to cook in the D.O. to me the reason to have a fire is to enjoy the warmth and here in Fl. the temp is hot enough without a fire.

11. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

In many places we camp, transporting firewood is not allowed. Sometimes it seems to be an overall ban, other times between states or certain counties. Since we've never had our own wood fire and have a small LP campfire, it isn't an issue for us. I do admit that some of the wood sold seems to create smoky fires. On our last trip, I couldn't figure out if it was the wood, how people built the fires, or what they were burning - it smelled like they'd tossed the plastic wrappings into the fire with the wood. (For all I know, they just set the whole wrapped bundle in the fire, given how badly some were burning.)

12. SidecarMike

SidecarMike Active Member

Around here, because of emerald ash borer infestation, many areas forbid bringing in firewood that wasn't cut locally. When we checked in, we were told a man would come around selling wood. Since the guy wouldn't be around for quite a while, my 7 year old son went around to vacant sites collecting a couple pieces left behind. The camp greeter accused him of stealing the wood, claiming that anything left behind goes back to the vender to resell. Another camper told us later that the greeter was the vendor's wife. We drove to town for our wood and made sure to give it to another camper when we left..

13. BirdsNest

BirdsNest Active Member

I used to carry firewood with me when I regularly went tent camping a long time ago, mostly because it was hard to find someone selling firewood nearby, and nearly impossible to find any worth gathering near established campgrounds, and I was always careful as much as possible to only use wood that was clean of pests.

However, starting about 20 years ago I witnessed the complete devastation that a parasitic insect can have on entire forests. What used to be vast green forests in Utah, Colorado, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana (and beyond) now mostly look like this due to a seemingly insignificant little beetle with an insatiable appetite for pine bark. Now I only use firewood acquired in the same area as the campground. There's no guarantee that the local wood won't have bugs, but at least they'll be local bugs.

Beetle 2.jpg

beetle3.jpg

beetlemania.jpg

14. NothingsChocking

NothingsChocking Active Member

I kind of treat it like a pay it forward type situation. I have enjoyed a log or two left behind at the campsite I acquire. So, I if I have a piece or two left over I will leave it for the next camper.

As far as the pine bark beetle, I have seen what nastiness it can cause in AZ. It makes your heart hurt.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  15. bsandey

bsandey Active Member

We have the Emerald Ash Borer up here in MN that is a problem. I used to bring the extra fire wood home and use it in my fire pit, but after learning about these, I now leave it behind at the campground for either the next person at the site or a "scavenger" going around to the open campsites collecting wood left behind for them to use.

And even if your area is already infested with the same invasive species, there is always the next unknown one waiting to be transported, and you could inadvertently be it's ride.