Legs or no legs?

Discussion in 'Dutch Oven Cooking' started by Beekeeper1, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Beekeeper1

Beekeeper1 Member

Looking to purchase first DO. Which is the best to buy, one with legs or without.

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

The one with legs is called a DO, the one without legs is a cast iron pot. Also the lids on a DO has a lip around it to hold coals whereas the cast iron pot does not have the raised lip.

dbhost, Byrd_Huntr and theseus like this.
  3. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Agree above. If you find a pot with a lid with a coal ring, yet doesn't have feet, it's an oddball, but you can use it. You'd just have to make sure to always have a grate and some bricks or something to set it up above the coals. The upshot of no legs is it is easier to use on a stove top. But, I've put my DOs with legs on just about every stove I've owned no problem too, so...

If you're going to be cooking with coals, the lid is the critical part, not the feet. You can't rest coals on a domed lid (at least not without the coal rolling into the pot every time you open it).

4. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Feet and a ridged lid. I use a steel oil drip pan for mine to cook in. Works as a windbreak as well. I use two pans, one to dump the coals in and transfer to the DO in the other one for cooking. My cook kit also has a lid lifter, set of tongs for moving coals, charcoal chimney and some heavy duty heat gloves.

Currently I have two DO that I use. One was free and the other was a cheap one from Walmart. I also use the foil liners so I don't need to worry about cleanup.

Have fun!

5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

The DO feet are important when cooking with coals. The feet support the DO slightly above the coals or briquettes. Without feet, the coals are smothered by the DO, especially when cooking on soft surfaces (sand). I cook on a small piece of granite countertop.

Byrd_Huntr likes this.
  6. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

For those of you who may have a domed lid with no lip, but still want to use coals, there is an easy solution. Take an aluminum, pie tin as close to the same size as your lid, cut a narrow slit in the middle, so the lid handle can come through the tin, and press it down to form it around the lid. You now have a way to hold coals on the lid!

jnc and PointyCamper like this.
  7. Pommom70

Pommom70 Member

I use both types of bake ovens. Without legs I will set the oven on flatrocks or a trivet. I set it next to the fire then rake the hot coals under the bake oven aka DO. I prefer the bake oven to have legs because it’s more stable to use.

8. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

the ones with legs are also called camp ovens alot of times

9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I was gifted a dutch oven without legs and it came with a domed lid without a handle. Not really designed for cooking with coals. So if your planning on using it outdoors with coals get the one with legs and the lipped lid. This allows you to put your oven directly over hot coals without a grate or trivet and the lip on the lid helps keep the coals in place. Now what I ended up doing is buying a lipped lid from lodge for my size DO and bought a few trivets to raise the DO above the coals. So I eventually made it to work and as a bonus I use the first lid as a frying pan.

10. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

14344309_10208791883287966_6559936434205703657_n.jpg

Think long term, as you will probably add to your black iron collection over the years. Here are stacked Lodge 8, 10, and 12 camp ovens. You can't easily do this without legs and coal rings. The bottom had pot roast and veggies, the middle had a peach cobbler, and the top had buttermilk biscuits. All done (but not started) at the same time... For you black iron savages, the top oven was warming and had nothing in it when I took this photo. When the time came, and the other stuff was almost done, I put in the biscuit dough and put fresh coals on top of the 8.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  11. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

A true dutch oven has legs, and a lip around the lid.

12. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Mine has a lip around the lid and a flat bottom, but it came with a steel stand to raise it up. It allows me to sear on a stove, then move to the coals. It was part of a multipiece set from Sams that I got 25 or so years ago.

jnc likes this.
  13. Toxictom

Toxictom Member

I have a cast iron pot with a domed lid. Mine seems to be designed to flip the lid over so you can put coals on it. Shrinks the interior space but works good.

14. WrkrBee

I'd like to see a picture of that.

15. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I have the same set and still use the wooden box that it came in.

16. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Lol I still use the box as well, but now it's a toy box for the grandkids!

jnc likes this.
  17. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have two dutch ovens, and both have legs. Honestly I don't use them on regular campouts, only when I camp with the scouts. When you are cooking for 1-2 people, the DO makes/holds way too much food, and I don't want to eat the same food as leftovers for all weekend. I also don't do campfires, and many times I don't have the room for the DO, cooking gear and charcoal that goes with it. I wouldn't consider getting a DO without legs, unless it was to be used in the oven at home.

WrkrBee likes this.
  18. WrkrBee

I only take the Dutch Oven when we group camp and someone request it. They seem to like cheesecake.

19. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Mine gets set outside and used as a coffee table