Leonard Harrison SP - PA Grand Canyon - Trout - Any general advice?

Dave Moz

Jul 15, 2021
Hello all,
We (wife, 8y/o, 9y/o and I) will be staying for a week at Leonard Harrison State Park at the PA Grand Canyon in April.
It's our first trip there and the plan is to relax, hike, fish, and just hang out.

Looking for any advice on:
Good spots to hit on Pine Creek for trout. We plan on doing some hiking so hoping to find a spot or two to go to that is an easy walk instead of a long hike. Especially spots that we can do first thing in the morning as 8 loves to get up early to fish.
Places to buy ice and firewood.
Restaurants in area you like - incase we hit some bad weather and don't feel like cooking.
Any other advice that might be helpful.

Thanks in advance!
Dave

vagov

Super Active Member
Aug 13, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Not sure on Leonard Harrison area so much. I usually fish a good 1.5 hours south west. At Sinamahoning. Area, If you get a clear night with not much to do. Take a ride to cherry springs state park for star glazing. Only. About 30 miles or so away

Dave Moz

Jul 15, 2021
Not sure on Leonard Harrison area so much. I usually fish a good 1.5 hours south west. At Sinamahoning. Area, If you get a clear night with not much to do. Take a ride to cherry springs state park for star glazing. Only. About 30 miles or so away
We were looking up star gazing opportunities in the area. Bad part is there's a full moon during the trip so going to be tough.
One place that looks great is https://www.pcstargazingtours.com/. He gives star tours but only on the darkest nights.

My usual trout spot is in Philadelphia - Wissahickon Creek.

Overland

May 1, 2013
Bristol, Pa
This pic was taken on pine creek in Slate Run.. just downstream from the bridge.

13812.jpeg

The Manor Hotel Bar and Restaurant is a great place for a few drinks and great meal. There is a few dispersed sights closer to this area than Leonard Harrison or Colton Point.. hit me up if this interests you.

20190907_184109.jpg

Dave Moz

Jul 15, 2021
Thanks @Overland, I do appreciate the info. Hotel Manor looks good and we might have to check it out. We were already thinking of checking out Wolfe's and Slate Run Tackle which are right there.

Overland

May 1, 2013
Bristol, Pa
Wolfe's is 10 minutes away from the camp i pictured.. free permit and trailer allowed.

I forgot to mention the Black Forest Inn for food also.. this bar/restaurant has had a lot of upgrading done to it the last decade. It's more of a burger type joint as compared to the manor.. and probably a few $$ cheaper.

AAAcampers

Aug 21, 2009
Rochester, NY
I don't know much about fishing (other than they were stocking the stream with Trout when we were in the area last Saturday).

We spend a lot of time in the area. These are ideas for food:
The Log Cabin Inn on Route 6 about 5 miles west of the gorge is one of my favorite restaurants.
Timeless Destination on Main Street in Wellsboro.
The Native Bagel on Central Ave has good sandwiches during the week.

Wellsboro is a pretty town and welcomes visitors.

The Pine Creek Trail is great for bike riding. We like to go between Ansonia and Blackwell. Only one access point for cars in an 18 mile ride.

The Turkey Trail is a nice hike down to the creek, but not an easy one. It is a steep climb and not for the faint of heart, but enjoyable.

Enjoy your stay in the area.

Dave Moz

Jul 15, 2021
Thank you all for the input and advice!!! I'm going to do a more detailed review when time permits.

Quick overview:
Leonard Harrison State Park might be my favorite PA State Park right now. Spectacular place with an amazing staff. Only 26 sites with 7 electric.
The Turkey Path was a great hike. The trail is washed out near the end so can't get to the Rail Trail right now. We went up to Darling Run for access.
Tried fishing in Marsh Creek right off Rt 6. Got a few good bites but didn't manage to land any.
Omi's of the Canyon, Wellsboro Diner, & The Frog Hut are my kids' new favorite spots.

Latest posts