Let the project begin!

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by HappyTraveler, Jun 12, 2019.

1. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

We got the NTU pup home on Saturday and popped her open on Sunday. Pulled everything out from the PO and then took a serious look at what we have.
    Obviously, we want to clean the canvas & vinyl and then water-proof the canvas.
    Looking everything over and very happy with our purchase and feel we paid a fair price for our 12 year old Avalon.
    But it is 12 years old and some things need replacing.
    For starters, the curtains and valances are a mess, some of the rubber backing has peeled off and all of the elastic is completely shot, never mind they could use a good laundering. Figured out how to get both the valance and curtains off their tracks and will carefully hand wash the valance in cold water and Woolite, hang dry, and see if we can thread some elastic cording between the old elastic and fabric. They will match the fabric we've picked out for the curtains, so hopefully they don't fall apart in the wash.
    The curtains will not be reused. Am using them to get measurements, and also measuring where they will hang and make my adjustments so they will fully cover and block out the light. The new curtains will be lined with blackout lining, so that should help.
    Still trying to decide how to handle the clips that are sewn on the old curtains that attaches it to the rail. Can't decide if I want to sew them back onto the new curtains or if I want to some how glue Velcro on them to make it easier to take down to launder them periodically.
    Plenty of time to think on it while I'm making them.
    So here are photos of the before:
    20190612_103757.jpg 20190612_103811.jpg 20190612_103827.jpg

And this is a photo of all the curtains, valance and new curtain fabric laying on the couch to see how well the colors and patterns work: 20190612_192407.jpg

hq308, momofEAP and Sjm9911 like this.
  2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Looks like you have a Pup that is worth the time and effort to "Make it your own" the adventure has begun ! :) Good Luck and Happy camping

HappyTraveler likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

You could do mine next, god knows after 20 years they need it!

4. HappyTraveler

Hahaha! You haven't seen how mine turn out, they may be a disaster!
    At the very least, they probably won't be worse than the dry rotted, sun damaged mess that was in there. I hope. ;)

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member

Oh my gosh, I love that kitchen! Lovely pop up, Isn't the Avalon the biggest of them all? I can't wait to see a pic of your redo. I would love a highwall, *sigh* one day!!!

6. HappyTraveler

FINALLY got the clips for the curtains to replace the missing one and was able to hang up all the new curtains.

Really like how the blackout liners keep the bright sunlight out. I lined the bunkend curtains with blackout lining also.
    Dinette.JPG KitchenRearBunkEnd.JPG CouchFrontBunkEnd.JPG

Now, I need to make templates for both bunkend windows and fit them with reflectix.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. Ken Lane

Ken Lane Active Member

Wow, that really looks great. Congrats on the great camper.

HappyTraveler and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Agreed nicely done.

9. Be-Ce

Be-Ce Member

Nice pattern matching! Are you going to re-valance as well?

10. HappyTraveler

I bought the cording to use for a new valence, but haven't made them yet.

These curtains are bigger than the original and fully lined with blackout lining, so more bulk when closing the pup.
    We ended up taking the curtains down each time we closed the pup so we could get the top latched. I sewed rings on the curtains and super glued 3M command hooks on the clips (also bought extra clips), so can take the curtains off really easy. In fact, almost too easy, so need to add little hair bands to the hooks to help keep the curtain rings on; but that will make them a bit harder to take off. :/
    So didn't bother making the valence and adding to the bulk.

I'm actually thinking of remaking the curtains to roman shades; which wouldn't be hard to do with the curtains I have here.

Be-Ce likes this.