Letchworth State Park Campground

Discussion in 'New York' started by mtmdc2, Sep 13, 2015.

1. mtmdc2

mtmdc2 New Member

We stayed in loop 800 of Letchworth State Park (site 822) September 4th through the 8th. We lucked out on the weather. It was unseasonably hot and dry so no rain but lots of dust.

Letchworth has 8 camping loops. About half of them are dog loops and the others prohibit dogs. 800 was one of the no dog loops. It's a beautiful park, well maintained with a great gorge and the Genessee river flowing through it with several waterfalls. Unfortunately the river was pretty low flow due to the dry conditions while we were there. Be aware if you visit the park for a day trip there are no garbage cans! It's a "carry in, carry out" park. Now the campgrounds do have dumpsters for campers or else I think no one would camp there. There was a camp store with a small laundry facility and a recreation hall with playground and field for sports.

This is the furthest we've ever camped from home (Florida). We usually camp in Florida, Georgia and North Carolina. There were some differences we noticed. The campground doesn't seem to have any campground hosts and there weren't any rangers or any other park personnel who seem to ever check on the campground. Not sure who we would contact if we had a problem....

Most of the campsites have very little privacy. Very few have any "green space" between the sites. We had no real privacy from the sites on either side of ours. We took a ride through the other loops and found maybe 3 to 5 sites per loop that had any decent privacy from adjacent sites. If any one is interested, private message me and I'll send you my list of sites that look better than average.

Bathrooms were reasonable clean and had hot showers. Around dusk lots of deer come out. My kids love to go "deer spotting". There are restaurants and a small grocery in Mount Morris on the north end of the park. A bit further north in Geneseo you can find Wegman's and a Walmart Supercenter.

Attached Files:

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

We love Letchworth.. been a couple years that we have been there but will get back there in the next year or so..

They do have campground hosts, last time we were there the hosts were in the two dog loops on either side of the store.. Also they do have lots of Rangers, you don't often see them, but they are around.. Most of the security patrols thru the park are handled by the NY State Police who have a station in the park up at the pool.

There is a charge to use the pool, campers get a discount on the day use fee's for the pool, IIRC you can buy a 1,3,5 or 7 day pool pass ...

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Letchworth has a special place in my heart, since my folks took me there often during the summer, it was maybe half an hour away. We only went for the day, though, my parents were not campers. I'm sure renting a cabin was not in the budget, especially since we had our own cabin 20 minutes from our house in another direction than Letchworth was.
    It is definitely one of the older type public campgrounds. We have stayed there a couple of times, when we visited friends and family in the region. I'm looking forward to another trip one of these days - I'd love to time it for fall colors. When we've been there, the site we had was actually pretty well separated from other. As we walked the loops, we noted that some sites have less separation than others, common to others of this type we use throughout the west and southwest.
    The staff was responsive when we had a very noisy neighbor. We have not stayed there when it has been full.
    This is the site we had for both ground and pup camping (there are two tents up since our larger one had gotten soaked and we were using the smaller, back-up one):
    [​IMG]2 tents 2009 by Andrea Vaughan, on Flickr

4. kitphantom

5. brich208

brich208 Member

This post hasn't seen much action but I'm still happy to find it. Just booked our first trip to Letchworth this coming July. I will end up being only our 3rd trip in the PUP and I'm already really looking forward to it.

I've found some conflicting info online re: the pool (saw that maybe it's closed now?). Anyone been there in 2017 that knows what's up?

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Sorry we have been there is several years, hope the pool is still open, is a nice thing for the park to have. If you find out one way or the other please update this thread..

7. RugerRedhawk

RugerRedhawk Member

It's a nice campground, and a fantastic park. The pool was awesome (HUGE) when we went 2 summers ago.

8. kitphantom

I read the FB Letchworth SP Lover group, but don't remember what they've said about the pool. IIRC, the old pool is closed, but the Mt Morris one still open, but you'd have to check for info for this year. I think they've been working on one of the entrances too. I't's been interesting to watch the progress as a new trestle was built to replace the old train trestle, and the dismantling of the old one. Also seeing the winter weather pics.

9. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

I think I went hiking in Letchworth SP, back around '98, when I was on a six month disability. Nice place from what I remember.

10. brich208

brich208 Member

Thanks for the replies, I'll check out the FB page and see if I can find anymore info. I've got quite a while to figure it out, but it's snowing (again) here in PA so I've got to find something PUP related to waste my time on, lol.

11. kitphantom

12. M-88

M-88 Member

Does Letchworth (the hiking part) allow dogs?

I'd LOVE to take a trip out there and see it

13. kitphantom

You'd have to call to check for sure. There is no mention one way or the other on the maps I looked at for Letchworth. On the general hiking tips for state parks, there is a mention that dogs much be kept under control at all times.
    There's a phone number on this page: https://parks.ny.gov/parks/79/maps.aspx

14. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

I found this online. See response by Reis Cunningham:

B1567087-04E9-48AD-8A91-85B54C80F2AD.jpeg
    I also saw another posting that said they saw dogs and 2 horses on the trails.

15. SNOBIRDS-NY

SNOBIRDS-NY Member

I live about 25 minutes from Letchworth and have taken my dogs for walks on the trails and stopped at the overlooks with them. Had a ranger wave to me when I was sitting with the dogs by an overlook, so I think they're good to go as long as they are leashed.

16. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

As any other NYS parks, dog are allowed leashed, on the trails. A couple of things however. One, bring their rabies vac papers and two, a bag to clean up the exhaust if they drop some. My coonhound and I were asked for her papers a while back. Seeing we were camping, the ranger just checked the office on his radio.

17. brich208

brich208 Member

Just got back from our weekend at Letchworth and the tl;dr version of this review: It was awesome!

Campsite
    We stayed in the 500 loop across the road from the bathrooms. Our site was bigger than I expected, pretty level, and had the standard picnic table and fire right. Our site was really deep and our fire ring was set back a good 25-30 feet from our PUP and was nicely enclosed. Sites had power only and there are spigots every ten sites or so. Bathrooms were pretty standard, clean by camping standards with two showers. We're usually really good with our garbage but had a very good teaching moment for our (almost) 4 and (almost) 7 year olds when a raccoon snuck under the PUP to get at the garbage bag hanging off the PUP - we made sure to clean up a little earlier from then on. When coming back from the bathrooms for the night we also saw a skunk wandering through our site and on down the road - the kids were unimpressed. Overall, I thought the campsites themselves were great and I'd camp on the same site every year if we could. I now realize I never took a picture once we were fully setup.

Park
    There's a ton to do at Letchworth, even with younger kids. There's a playground in the camping area, a camp store (where they charger $9.50 for wood!!!!), plenty of hiking options, beautiful overlooks of the gorge, the falls, the dam, and a nice big pool. As discussed earlier in this threat the old pool in the south part of the park is closed but the Mt. Morris pool in the north end is open. It had a very 1950's summer time feel to it, old school locker rooms you have to walk through to get to the pool, most of the "seating" is on the grass around the pool, separate diving pool, old grandstand, classic snack bar. Also, there was an air show in the area and every 20 minutes or so an old bomber or fighter jet would fly overhead. My wife kept saying she thought we'd gone back in time. If you're not familiar with Letchworth, it's a beautiful park - the grand canyon of the east coast they say.

We took the kids to the upper and middle falls in the AM, "hiked" a little bit until we heard complaints of tired legs, went to the Visitor's Center and the Nature Center. The Nature Center was great, if not a little small, for kids and they host a series of events. While we were their the folks at the Nature Center put on a reptile exhibit at night at the camping loops, kids loved it. Went swimming after lunch and then home for reptiles and dinner. Heck of a day for everybody.

My only complaints are that the online maps aren't great - the ones you get at the park are better, the wood was $9.50, and there wasn't any enforcement of quiet time (although it was only 1 or 2 sites making noise and I've heard worse). So, if those are my only complaints I'd say it was a great trip.

18. RugerRedhawk

RugerRedhawk Member

Next time I wouldn't hesitate to call security for something like that if it's bothering you. State parks in NY in my experience are good at handling this, especially if it's a simple clear violation of rules.

brich208 likes this.
  19. chartle

chartle New Member

We were at Letchworth about a month ago and also in the 500 loop maybe 516. The bath house was right behind our camper. We didn't do the pools but did hike somewhere around I think the lower falls. I know we went as far as we could until we hit the Construction. We also did the Dam Tour. it was pretty interesting and they explained why so little water.

Oh and how is Robbie the Racoon doing. :) If the same he/she (?) almost came right up to us. For half a second I thought it wanted pets. We also maybe saw the same shunk. Just walked under our table sniffing around.

We came in thursday afternoon and it was pretty empty. Friday we sat around the fire watching rigs come in. We had an interesting group behind us. It was what I'm calling a ragtag group that was maybe testing out backpacking gear? We had a few tent hammocks and a small back packing tent that all seemed new and they were figuring it out. Only bad thing we heard was after we went to bed we heard someone chopping at I think a standing tree and then pushing it over for I guess firewood? Which we all know is a major no no in campgrounds.

received_1967287390004493 (1).jpeg
    20180610_120934_resized.jpg

vagov and brich208 like this.