Let's Face It, The Weather Channel Sucks!

Discussion in 'General Weather Forum' started by PopUpSteve, Jan 11, 2019.

  1. PopUpSteve

    PopUpSteve Administrator

    Messages:
    18,713
    Likes Received:
    1,526
    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2002
    Location:
    Malvern, PA
    The Weather Channel has gone downhill over the last few years. I guess with so many cable and satellite providers dropping the service, they no longer have the resources to provide accurate forecasts. Most noticeably, the app has suffered. Videos with no voice-over narration and the accompanying text being unreadable because it's so small, goes so fast, and many times being washed out by the background.

    But the worst is contradictive data in their forecasts. An example of this is this weekend's forecast for Bear Delaware. I was hoping to go camping this weekend but with possible snow on Sunday morning, the canvas wouldn't have time to dry out before having to take-down.

    Looking at the basic forecast on the Weather Channel app, it had a 10% chance of precipitation on Saturday and 20% on Sunday. Well that's not so bad, let's go camping. BUT WAIT! Looking at the detailed forecast for Saturday, there's a 70% chance of snow. How did we go from 10% to 70% of precipitation? Yes, I know, "Math is Hard [:P]". And more than likely, we won't get any snow/rain at all and it will be another wasted weekend at home when I could have been out camping, and doing nothing.

    IMG_9575.PNG

    IMG_9576.PNG
     
  2. Snow

    Snow Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    9,979
    Likes Received:
    924
    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2007
    Location:
    Ontario
    10% chance during the day.. 70% at night.. Remember only a small percentage cares what happens overnight. .
     
  3. jmkay1

    jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

    Messages:
    4,654
    Likes Received:
    1,562
    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2013
    Location:
    Northern Virginia
    Not that it helps you any, and I agree the system has gone way down from what it used to be. However I think the first screen is strictly looking at day time temps and precipitation and not actual forecasted nighttime. From what I was able to see down here the storm is moving in late at night Saturday with the bulk of the snow falling overnight and into the early hours of Sunday. Perhaps there system just doesn't know how to calculate that correctly. Like Snow says most people don't care what happens when they are asleep.
     
  4. davekkk

    davekkk Active Member

    Messages:
    452
    Likes Received:
    43
    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    I had to stop using their website on my computer because it was some how using 70% cpu and all I wanted to do was check the 5 day forecast, not see looping pet videos. Then the app on my phone got really bloated and slow, found a replacement for that. The kicker was when Direct TV or the cable company wanted to remove them from the network (maybe they did, no idea) and they had a meltdown online about how it would affect the world.
     
  5. BikeNFish

    BikeNFish Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,675
    Likes Received:
    1,632
    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2017
    Location:
    Maplewood, MN
    I think it's a rounding issue.;)

    As my screen name implies, I do a lot of bicycling and fishing when I'm not camping, so weather forecasting is very important to me. I long ago stopped relying on single weather forecasts to determine my activities. I have nine apps on my phone with each one giving me weather information. I kind of determine my own forecast using all of the combined data.

    My most reliable apps are:
    My Radar - Determines what rain is in the area now.
    Weather Channel - This app has "future radar" to determine the precipitation in the next few hours.
    Hint.fm - website that shows wind directions in the entire country to see which direction things are moving. (Plus, this is just cool.)

    Other apps I have are:
    IPhone standard
    NOAA Weather
    Weather Underground
    Storm Radar
    Accuweather
    Weather Live
     
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  6. Toedtoes

    Toedtoes Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,590
    Likes Received:
    1,212
    Joined:
    May 28, 2018
    Location:
    California
    I use weather underground and have found it does well. They are pretty accurate, they update frequently, and their numbers make sense.
     
  7. MattF350

    MattF350 Member

    Messages:
    42
    Likes Received:
    20
    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2018
    Location:
    Syracuse, NY
    Man! Yoou are lucky!
    Was a scorching 14 degrees for a high, after we got a 6-7in yesterday!

    But, I agree. I look at my "accuweather" on my phone but outside is a different story. I use any weather forecast as a rough estimate. could be exact, could be wrong. I dont winter camp so not a huge issue, but when I gotta go to work at 430am, Id like to have a clue of what Im heading into. :)
     
  8. JiffyPopJunkie

    JiffyPopJunkie Active Member

    Messages:
    303
    Likes Received:
    99
    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2014
    Location:
    LG Region NY
    Bring back Rick Johnson!! [:D]
     
  9. crackerJack

    crackerJack Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    1,131
    Likes Received:
    299
    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2014
    Location:
    Scottsville, KY
    I can’t stand all the liberal propaganda on their app.

    The channel was great years ago when they actually focused on the forecast instead of shows. Local on the eights used to be a constant.
     
  10. nineoaks2004

    nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

    Messages:
    7,096
    Likes Received:
    2,926
    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2006
    Location:
    Graceville, Florida
    I watch Weather Channel, but mostly I watch accu weather (weather nation). Weather channel has so many other programs they show and some are interesting, and are about weather but the predictions are usually off. National weather service is probably the most accurate and I think that is where the others get their info. I remember when they concentrated on the next days weather, then 3 days, etc now 5 -10 days and no one can be that good as mamma nature will do what she wants and when she wants to do it.
     
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  11. generok

    generok Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,454
    Likes Received:
    621
    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2013
    Location:
    Anchorage, AK
    Weather Underground FTW! They really do a good job.
     
    PopUpSteve likes this.
  12. Zephyr

    Zephyr Active Member

    Messages:
    281
    Likes Received:
    49
    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2013
    Location:
    central Oregon
    Year-round bicycle commuter here. Weather Underground is my favorite. I like the 10 day forecast with the chart forecasting conditions by the hour and the Wundermap showing storms tracks through the area.

    I have Weather Channel on my phone, but the % chance of precipitation for the full day has little meaning for me. I want to know when it's likely to rain in an easy to view format.

    Of course, I may just decide to get wet anyway, but I prefer to avoid hail....it stings on the way down and then bounces back up and stings again.
     
  13. PopUpSteve

    PopUpSteve Administrator

    Messages:
    18,713
    Likes Received:
    1,526
    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2002
    Location:
    Malvern, PA
    Well, I have to disagree with the Day/Night theory because two reasons.

    One, they show the daily (as in 24 hour period) high/low temperature.

    Two, at 3am today, they did change it to 60% even though the snow was still predicted to occur overnight.
    FAC9D373-AFCC-417A-9A0E-E445CBD70F49.jpeg
     
  14. BikeNFish

    BikeNFish Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    2,675
    Likes Received:
    1,632
    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2017
    Location:
    Maplewood, MN
    This doesn't help:

     
  15. tfischer

    tfischer Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    3,462
    Likes Received:
    971
    Joined:
    May 21, 2014
    Location:
    Plymouth (Minneapolis) Minnesota
    I think their "real time rain" is ridiculous. I get push notifications to my phone and watch saying something like "Rain will begin in your area starting at 6:43pm". It's laughable... they can't even predict it down to a half hour block much less than a specific minute like that.

    I got one of those one time saying rain was starting at a specific minute about 15 minutes in the future... and it was pouring rain outside.
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.